New guy needs alot of help with rod/reel combo:)

Started by DelaWhere?, July 12, 2011, 10:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelaWhere?

Hey all, as the title states, I clearly need some serious help when it comes to rod / reel selection due to being new to the sport of bass fishing.  Before getting my boat this year, my idea of fishing was going out to a shore line and throwing a line in the water with a night-crawler.  So as you can see, novice does not even begin to explain my level of expertise when it comes to bass fishing...LOL

So my current set up is nothing more than some cheapo box store rod / reel setup (ugly stick with quantum reel) and a micro rod that I use at times for some pan fishing. 

I will be taking a trip to Bass Pro Shops probably in the next few weeks and while I was there, I wanted to invest in one or two bass fishing rod / reel setups.  I mainly do fishing from my new tracker boat at small lakes / ponds where the average depth is probably around 5-8 feet deep.  I also mainly use soft plastics but occasionally pull out a spinner or crankbait to get some practice. 

I really am unsure of a price point because I don't really know the costs associated with decent equipment for bass fishing (I can tell you that I am not planning on spending $200 bucks for a rod only) but yet would consider maybe a $50 to $75 rod.  I am not sure how important one is over the other (do I spend more money on the rod or the reel)?  As for reels, I do not know whether I should invest in a spinning reel, which I have used for years, or take the plunge into a bait casting reel (which I have never used)?  And same thing for price point for the reel, probably in the neighborhood of $50 to $75 bucks.

I have been poking around on this thread and have seen quite a few different brands being thrown around like Abu Garcia, St. Croix (mojo series), Carrot Stick and even Bass Pro Brand rods / reels but I have no idea where to even begin.  I know nothing about lengths or whether it should be medium or medium heavy.  Like I stated above, I am truly starting from scratch here and any info you can provide to help me understand the basics, I would certainly appreciate.

Thanks,
Michael

TNDiver

I recently switched to a baitcaster, and was much like you, a shore fisher with a Zebco closed face reel.  It took me some time to get used to the baitcaster because I kept flinging it like a closed face, but with the baitcaster, you have to let the reel do the work.  You can also pitch lures easier, again with practice.  YouTube has a lot of videos that helped me learn to cast both ways.  You will need a lot of practice to get used to it, I know I did and a lot of birdsnests!  You will also have to play around with the line tension and reel adjustments to figure out what works best for you.

I too didn't have the cash to blow for an expensive set up so I went with a Daiwa Strikeforce reel and wanted to stay under $100 for the rod.  Again, online reviews helped me pick both.  I went to BPS and attached my reel to probably 6-8 rods and really liked the Carrot Stix Wild rod in 7' MH. It is light and seemed to have the best balance with that rod.  I was also liking the Abu Garcia Vendetta, but again, the Carrot Stix felt better. 

Having said all that, I think I have blown more money on lures than the rod and reel combo!

I just took it out today and was really pleased with how both performed.  I was still shore fishing, but pitching under a tree with a woolly beaver and a big hawg snapped my 17 lb line! 
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Camden

ok
whether you go baitcasting or stick with spinning is completely up to you. I use to be a spinning only guy but now only have one for finese techs. IMHO baitcasters are slightly more versatile.
onto reel selection. if your going to BPS I see one great option. the BPS pro qualifier. bar none the best reel for 99 bucks on the market imo. multiple gear ratios and built great.
Rods in the under 100 range you got alot of options.
abu vendetta
st croix mojo bass
Falcon Bucoo
i really like the look and feel of the quantum KVD rods to and they run in at 80 bucks
all three of these are great rods with a variety of lengths and actions.

If I had to pick two combos these are the ones I would buy.
BPS PQ 6.4-1 ratio on a mojo 7' medium
BPS PQ 7.1-1 ratio on a mojo 7' medium heavy
about 200 for each combo but they are gonna last you a lifetime with proper care and very little hassle out of the equipment

just MHO ;)

DelaWhere?

Quote from: Camden on July 12, 2011, 11:36:05 AM
ok
whether you go baitcasting or stick with spinning is completely up to you. I use to be a spinning only guy but now only have one for finese techs. IMHO baitcasters are slightly more versatile.
onto reel selection. if your going to BPS I see one great option. the BPS pro qualifier. bar none the best reel for 99 bucks on the market imo. multiple gear ratios and built great.
Rods in the under 100 range you got alot of options.
abu vendetta
st croix mojo bass
Falcon Bucoo
i really like the look and feel of the quantum KVD rods to and they run in at 80 bucks
all three of these are great rods with a variety of lengths and actions.

If I had to pick two combos these are the ones I would buy.
about 200 for each combo but they are gonna last you a lifetime with proper care and very little hassle out of the equipment

just MHO ;)

First TNDIVER, thanks for your response and relatively new experiences with a bait caster.

Camden-

Thank you for your thorough explanation, I really appreciate it.  I appreciate how you broke things down in layman terms so even I can comprehend...LOL

I am still on the fence about whether to stick with spinning or go to a bait caster but I guess I can make that decision later on..dunno.

Anyway, thanks for all the great selections in regards to rods and reels.  I don't understand the differences in regards to reels when it comes to ratio's?  And, what would be the difference between the 7' medium and 7' medium heavy (do I use one rod for a certain kind of lure and the other for another kind)?  Sorry for all the newbie questions...but this stuff is still pretty greek to me even though I have been researching threads on the forum.

Thanks,
Michael

Camden

Hey no problem at all. people who dont ask questions are the ones that end up hating fishing because they jumped in blind.
gear ratios are the number of times the spool(where the line is) turns with one full ratation of the handle. a 7-1 with retrieve line faster than a 6.4-1
usually your higher ratios are used for topwaters and soft plastic applications where you need to take up slack in the line quick to get a good hookset.
the 6.4 is a good all around ratio. fast enough to take up slack farely quick but still slow enough to work a medium diving crank.

most of your spinning reels come in a average of a 5.something ratio
most people like baitcasters to handle heavier applications and the ability to put bigger diamter line on it.

Dan1962

Quote from: Camden on July 12, 2011, 11:36:05 AM
the BPS pro qualifier. bar none the best reel for 99 bucks on the market imo.

The PQ is a decent Reel when its $79  BUT at $99  it's not that Great of a Deal anymore NOW that The shimano Citica 200E is only $99 Even cheaper off Ebay  I Take the Citica over a PQ Any day .

DelaWhere?

Quote from: Camden on July 12, 2011, 01:07:16 PM
Hey no problem at all. people who dont ask questions are the ones that end up hating fishing because they jumped in blind.
gear ratios are the number of times the spool(where the line is) turns with one full ratation of the handle. a 7-1 with retrieve line faster than a 6.4-1
usually your higher ratios are used for topwaters and soft plastic applications where you need to take up slack in the line quick to get a good hookset.
the 6.4 is a good all around ratio. fast enough to take up slack farely quick but still slow enough to work a medium diving crank.

most of your spinning reels come in a average of a 5.something ratio
most people like baitcasters to handle heavier applications and the ability to put bigger diamter line on it.

Okay, now I get the gear ratio's and what they are used for...basically the revolutions when reeling in.

It sounds like the 6.4 is a good all around gear ratio and probably what I should go with?  (Since I mostly fish soft plastics?)  I just wanted to make sure a 6.4 will still be good if I switch to a spinner or a medium diving crankbait?

I may only buy one pole and one reel for now.....so I think a good all around would prob be my best bet and then I can fine tune later on...maybe in a few months go buy another specific rod / reel combo?  So with that in mind, which one of your original options would you go with:

Thanks,
Michael

DelaWhere?

Quote from: Dan1962 on July 12, 2011, 01:15:05 PM
The PQ is a decent Reel when its $79  BUT at $99  it's not that Great of a Deal anymore NOW that The shimano Citica 200E is only $99 Even cheaper off Ebay  I Take the Citica over a PQ Any day .

I will keep the Citica in mind.  I know nothing about the quality differences so I am kind of lost in the sauce.  How often does the PQ go on sale for $79?

And is the Citica always $99 or does it go on sale at BPS as well?

Sorry, just trying to get the best I can for my money right now.....

Thanks,
Michael

Camden

i like shimano too but does the citica have dual brakes? I know it says variable but not sure what that definition is lo. The pq has both mag and centrifugal brakes

duke13372

Many times Bass Pro has some reels that they are clearing out.  Don't be afraid to ask for a bargain.  I'd look at baitcasters too.  They will give you more access to additional techniques. The Rick Clunn reel is on clearance now at less than $70.  As for rods, I'd look at the bass pro combos.  Good starting place for new anglers.

Dan1962

Quote from: Camden on July 12, 2011, 03:49:08 PM
i like shimano too but does the citica have dual brakes? I know it says variable but not sure what that definition is lo. The pq has both mag and centrifugal brakes

Nope Citica don't have Dual braking Only Centrifugal  If your a Skilled baitcaster Why would you need Both ?  Dual brakes are Good for Beginners     Its like having training wheels on the reel   I do have a PQ i picked up for a good price off ebay its a nice reel But i did remove the Mag braking system from the reel now it only has centrifugal braking  and casts better i think

Dan1962

Quote from: DelaWhere? on July 12, 2011, 01:55:18 PM
I will keep the Citica in mind.  I know nothing about the quality differences so I am kind of lost in the sauce.  How often does the PQ go on sale for $79?

And is the Citica always $99 or does it go on sale at BPS as well?

Sorry, just trying to get the best I can for my money right now.....

Thanks,
Michael

The Citica retails for $119   Its on sale now for $99  yes BPS sometimes has the PQ on sale for $79 just last month it was on sale But now its $99  They DO still have the PQ Tournament Reel still on sale but its Sold Out right Now 

When there back in stock it be listed here www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Pro-Qualifier-Tournament-Baitcast-Reel/product/10224165/-1673056

Can't GO wrong buying Shimano  There Quality is Top Notch    IF you want a NICE Set-up  Get the Citica & pair it with a St Croix Triumph TRC66MF Rod  ($69) & you have a Nice GOOD Quality All Round Combo  without spending a Ton of  money !

Dan1962

Camden

Quote from: Dan1962 on July 12, 2011, 05:08:13 PM
If your a Skilled baitcaster Why would you need Both ?  Dual brakes are Good for Beginners     Its like having training wheels on the reel   

he will be starting out lo just playing but yea both are good reels

Dan1962

Quote from: Camden on July 12, 2011, 05:35:36 PM
he will be starting out lo just playing but yea both are good reels

That's True   the PQ May help a little over the Citica  to lean on  But he can Learn on the Citica just about as easy  Most of Us learned on a reel before Dual Brakes were out   One thing i will say Don't start out using expensive line  Pick you up some Berkley Big Game  12lb line its like $7 for a 1125yd  spool  and practice with that line If you get some nasty backlashes just cut it off and re-spool with fresh line your have 1125yds to practice with

Dan1962

BPS Does have the RCX reel on sale for $68 its very close to the PQ it has Dual braking  But its a little heavier in weight its 9.45 oz were the PQ is 8.8Oz  The Citica is only 7.8Oz

www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-RCX-Power-Fishing-Baitcast-Reels/product/10205036/?cm_sp=COTWRCXReelJul2011_HM

duke13372

One more thing about learning to throw a baitcaster.  The lure, rod, and line all work together and a 3/8 ounce spinnerbait and 14 pound limp mono will work well with a nice medium rod.  Don't throw a quarter ounce crankbait with braided line with a medium heavy rod.  You'll be throwing it in the lake!

DelaWhere?

Quote from: duke13372 on July 12, 2011, 07:55:12 PM
One more thing about learning to throw a baitcaster.  The lure, rod, and line all work together and a 3/8 ounce spinnerbait and 14 pound limp mono will work well with a nice medium rod.  Don't throw a quarter ounce crankbait with braided line with a medium heavy rod.  You'll be throwing it in the lake!

duke13372, I have no idea what your talking about...LOL  I am a total rookie...if you could explain or put in layman's terms that would be greatly appreciated.

camden and dan1962, thank you both for the conversation / debate back and forth over reels.  All this talk about braking and all that confuses the heck out of me.  So, are we now thinking I should go with the citica instead of the PQ or what?

Dan1962

Quote from: DelaWhere? on July 12, 2011, 08:27:14 PM
duke13372, I have no idea what your talking about...LOL  I am a total rookie...if you could explain or put in layman's terms that would be greatly appreciated.

camden and dan1962, thank you both for the conversation / debate back and forth over reels.  All this talk about braking and all that confuses the heck out of me.  So, are we now thinking I should go with the citica instead of the PQ or what?

I get the Citica  Great quality reel at a Great price right now & really all you need to do is just use 1 extra brake it comes with a 6 pin braking system use 3 on  &  Practice  I use a 1/2oz lure to practice  with  like a Strike king red eye shad  if you want to practice in your yard just remove the hooks  when you get good then go to 2 brakes and you be casting 1/4oz lure 100ft with ease

duke13372

The lighter the weight of the lure, the stiffer the rod, and too stiff line (some large diameter mono's) or too limp (braid) you will have a nightmare learning how to cast a baitcaster.  Get a rod with the right amount of tip for the weight lure.  A medium rod will be able to cast a 3/8 ounce lure effectively.  I'd use 12 to 14 pound Berkley XL or something with low memory.  You could also use some "reel magic".  Of course, you need to set the reel up with the right amount of cast control and brakes.  I'd over set them to start with.  But the point I'm trying to make is that the equipment has to have the right balance.  I wouldn't try to cast a 1/4 crankbait with 20 pound line and a flipping stick.  Get a medium rod with 3/8 ounce spinnerbait  and 14 pound line and get started.  You may also want to use a left hand retrieve.  I started with spinning tackle and it just made since to continue with the left hand retrieve. 

Camden

i'll elaborate on line and other things a bit for you
Line you have 3 main catagories. Mono, flouro, braid.
mono is the cheapest route to go but by no means the worst. mono will float on the top of the water and while learning to use a BC will save you alot of headaches when picking out backlashes.
flouro is extra clear and sinks in the water but has alot more line memory and will be a pain to clear a backlash.
Braid will also float but has superior strength compared to its size. and getting a backlash out of braid ...forget it
i agree with dan get a spool of 12 lb berkley big game and have at it. its a good mono with very little memory and not very expensive.

rods
they are classified by"action" usually medium light, medium, medium heavy, and heavy.
they mean pretty much exactly what they say the heavier the action the stiffer the rod will be. a good rod to start will be the medium.which will have a good stiffness to still fight a fish but enough limpness to be able to cast good distance.
rod length is up to you.

now on the reel issue. im gonna really throw you a curve ball. what you need to do is go to BPS get both of these reels and see which one fits you better. dont be afraid to play around with them. what feels good in my palm may n ot to you. and the way i see it if im throwing a reel for 3-4 hours straight i want it comfortable. lo call me picky

keep the questions coming

duke13372

Right again Camden!  I just sold a reel because it just wasn't comfortable for me.  I'm not sure if the Bass Pro Reels hold up or not but you can pick up a good aluminum frame reel that is comfortable and casts well and not too much of an investment; especially if you pick it up on sale.  The last two Johnny Morris reels that I've purchased I'm really pleased with at this point.  One I picked up on clearance at the BPS store and the other is an Ebay purchase.

DelaWhere?

Guys, thanks for all your help and keeping your patience with me.  I know I am asking some really basic (stupid) questions but I am just trying to learn so I can get pretty comfortable (and good) some day.

Ok, so for rod selection, I will def go with a medium as my first purchase because it gives me the best of both worlds (stiff yet flexible enough for casting distances and working with various kinds of lures?)

So, between the St. Croix Triumph or Mojo, what would be the differences and should I pay the little bit more for the Mojo so I will have a good solid selection that will last me or will the Triumph be just as good?  Also, should I be looking for a 2 piece so I can break down if need be or do most people by 1 piece?

Back to reels, I will take your advice Camden and go to BPS and just pick up and hold / feel various reels to see how comfortable they are in my hand...that is a really good suggestion.  I just want to be prepared to make an intelligent decision when the time comes to actually make a purchase.

I am curious as to what setup as far as reeling in with my left or right hand that I should go with.  I am left handed but when I use a spinning reel, I cast with my left hand and then hold the rod with my right and reel with my left?  Shouldn't that be the other way around?

So for my choices so far, I have the PQ and the Citica for bait casting reels...any others we want to throw out or are they about the best for beginning?  On a side note, this talk about setting up the brakes on the reel and everything I have no clue and will need some help with what to do once I do actually get it.

Thanks,
Michael

Camden

st croix puts out a great product regardless. the mojo should be a littel lighter but to start out triumph should be perfectly fine.
1 or 2 piece? do you have the ability to transport a 1 piece rod? if you do then this is the way to go.  it will have increased sensitivity over a 2 piece.

Canesfan

I absolutely LOVE my BPS Pro Qualifier teamed with a Mojo Bass Med-Hvy Rod.  Next favorite is My Lew's Speed Spool with a Kistler Magnesium Rod. Now my Loomis Rods are in 3rd place.