New guy needs alot of help with rod/reel combo:)

Started by DelaWhere?, July 12, 2011, 10:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelaWhere?

camden / novabass-

Sorry to keep "harping" on this....but say I do decide to return the reels and get left handed model ones.....you said you would keep them ALL the same and don't do something different even for a pitching / flipping rod?  So, if my flipping / pitching rod has a left handed crank, I would still hold the rod in my left hand, continue flipping or pitching next to that dock for example and then switch to my right hand to crank...hopefully in time before that big bass strikes that jig?  Would I still stop the line spool with my left thumb or attempt to switch while its in the air.....I am confused and probably making this out bigger than what it should be.......

I want to do the right thing and try to "conform" to what everyone says your supposed to do....(basically get used to using right hand) but it feels so darn comfortable reeling in with my left?

Thanks,
Michael

Camden

yep that's what i do. i do whats comfortable. i know my thinking isn't always "right" but how many fish am i gonna miss or lose while im trying to change a dominant hand? i dont see that i lose any fish by switching hands. so far i have never said "i could have had that fish if i didnt have to switch hands"

DelaWhere?

Camden-

Good info...thanks for being so patient with a newbie like myself...answering all these crazy questions must get old...LOL!

Anyway, I think I may do myself a favor and when my reels get here either today or tomorrow (shipment from BPS), I will just ship them right back and exchange for the left handle items.  I mean it is what it is....it may not be right but I am not a pro and I doubt very seriously I ever will be so not sure why I am making such a big deal out of this:)

Thanks,
Michael

tsohg76

No one can change the fact, that i will keep using my left handed reels. There is no argument that can convince me otherwise. after years and years of reeling left it would take years to get to the same proficiency with a right hander. and besides its so uncomfortable and backwards to me
Denali rods, J&J Tackle

DelaWhere?

Just wanted to report back....I have used my buddies right hand reel the last 3 times I went out and while it will certainly take a little to get used to (and get comfortable with compared to what I was used to with the spinning reels....left hand reeling) I think I will actually be able to get used to reeling with my right hand. 

So with that being said, I think I am going to keep the right handed reels and just go with it.....Hope I am not making a mistake???

bassmaster3541

I always reeled spinning reels, and when I bought my first baitcaster because of both just not having any knowledge of them and also just not paying attention, I accidentally bought a right handed reel. I got th hang of it in no time at all though and I do completely fine with it now, it just takes a little getting used to, you will be fine with them.
Pro Staff for Dobyns Rods, Elite Tungsten, and Buggs Jigs

tsohg76

Denali rods, J&J Tackle