What is the DNR enforcing while the Gov't is shut down?!

Started by PaintPro1, July 14, 2011, 01:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaintPro1

OK - All you Minnesotans I have a question as to what you are seeing the DNR enforce since July 1 as the out-of-state Indiana fisher is still planning to bring his bassboat up and wet a line in your state.  IF one of you has an opportunity to talk with an officer I would love to get his take on an out-of-state  fisherman without a license...

Can I practice catch & release and have zero fish in possession and NOT get busted???

Any input here would be great...

Unhappy Indiana vacationer...

CraigP83

They are close to working out a deal so depending when your planned on coming up it may not be an issue at all.

PaintPro1

That would be great as I really don't wanna have that discussion on the water with the DNR with my son, daughter or wife in the boat!!!

CraigP83

Worst comes to worst, I'd carry an envelope with cash inside for a non-resident license. Seal it up and and label it "Fishing License $". It shows your intent to buy a license if given the opportunity too. I couldn't see how any game warden could possibly ticket you in that situation.

PaintPro1

Agreed Craig I was thinking the same thing!  That and my IN license to show I am NOT a moron...

MK-9

They've more or less agreed on the shutdown issues and should have everything worked out shortly here:

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/125578518.html
"I bring nothing to the table"

PaintPro1

CraigP83

No license means no fishing, says Minnesota DNR

Article by: DOUG SMITH , Star Tribune Updated: July 14, 2011 - 11:37 AM

Anglers beware: You could be fined if caught, even if the state government shutdown kept you from getting a fishing license.

Anglers fishing Minnesota waters without a fishing license are violating the law and face possible citations, state officials said Wednesday.

It doesn't matter that resident and nonresident anglers can't buy licenses because of the state government shutdown.

"It's black and white -- you must have a license to fish," said Tom Landwehr, Department of Natural Resources commissioner.

Some resort owners -- desperate to retain customers -- have been collecting license money from their nonresident guests and giving them receipts to carry in lieu of a fishing license, saying they will buy licenses for them after the shutdown ends.

That's no good, Landwehr said. "You can't have an IOU or say 'I intended to get a license,'" he said. "You must have a fishing license in your possession while you are fishing."

Violators risk a fine and court costs of about $150.

The DNR explained its position Wednesday after seeing the reports of resort owners issuing temporary fishing licenses, and after the Crow Wing County Board passed a resolution Tuesday seeking clarification.

Commissioners in that north- central Minnesota county expressed concern that resorts would suffer financially if customers can't buy fishing licenses. County Board Chairman Paul Thiede wanted the DNR to temporarily allow nonresidents to fish the Brainerd Lakes area without a license, if they agreed to buy one after the shutdown ended.

But Landwehr said not enforcing the law isn't an option.

"The bottom line is state law says you must have a license," he said.

The state's conservation officers still have discretion whether to issue citations or warnings, said Jim Konrad, DNR enforcement chief. But Konrad said Wednesday that the shutdown is no excuse to fish without a license.

"We certainly are writing some citations for fishing without licenses," he said. "And we're telling people they can't fish if they don't have one."

The state's 180 conservation officers have been pressed to do other tasks during the shutdown, and they are spending far less time enforcing game and fish laws. But they still are enforcing those laws, Konrad said.

Landwehr agreed his officers have discretion but said in this case the issue seems clear-cut.

"I expect when an officer finds a flagrant violation that they will issue a citation," he said. "This is a very simple thing: If you fish without a license, you're blatantly violating the law."

Meanwhile, fishing guide Tom Neustrom of Grand Rapids, a retired deputy sheriff, said the inability of anglers to buy licenses is hurting guides, resorts and other businesses. He's been guiding unlicensed clients and will continue to do so.

"We're telling them to come," he said. "This is our livelihood. What are we supposed to do?"

He tells his clients to bring enough cash to pay for a license and plans to explain that to conservation officers. He hasn't encountered any officers yet.

"It's a bad mess," Neustrom said.

PaintPro1

Sounds like a little hardball talk anyway...  Thanks for the article! 

It sounds as though I may be able to get a license and be legal after all:

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/125578518.html

Got the boat out for the 1st time today since I brought it home in Nov 09 and it felt good!  A little sluggish (and on a small lake) but my 16yr old and I wet a line!

Looking forward to your reports from Pokegma...  When is that tournament?

Thanks!

DBrooke

This section under construction.

PaintPro1

WOW!  Darn shame about the record issue and also about the failed CPR...