2011 CTBF STQT Fish Care

Started by Sean Hinton, July 24, 2011, 01:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Hinton

2011 CTBF STQT
Fish Care
The following Guides and instructions have been formulated in an effort to reduce initial and delayed mortality of fish at this year CTBF STQT Tournament. Please read the following instructions very carefully and do your solution to prove that a tournament can conducted with high bass survival rates. Lets do everything we can prove that we as anglers are pros at keeping bass alive.
Instructions for Ute Reservoir CTBF Live well Care:
Cooler to keep ice
Pool thermometer or digital probe
16oz bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide
Live Release

In an effort to provide the best possible live release during this tournament, we are encouraging you to be proactive in addressing Livewell conditions all day long, although the weight in procedures is critical, your handling of the fish throughout the day is even more critical, since your fish are in your possession for the majority of time. Please study the following suggestions and give the fish your utmost consideration.
1.   Fill Livewell shortly after take from good water in the MAIN BODY OF WATER OF THE LAKE. DO NOT FILL LIVEWELLS OR EXCHANGE WATER IN CREEKS OR COVES and especially from taken off sight!
2.   IMPORTANT!  Treat Livewell with Catch Release early and recirculate for a couple of minutes to properly mix. Make sure you dose Livewell before you start fishing.
3.   Keep you Livewell cool. Get close to 65 degrees as possible.
4.   Add 3% hydrogen peroxide once you catch your first fish. The 3% hydrogen peroxide will provide adequate dissolved oxygen levels even if you Experience Livewell failure. Pay attention to the dosage rates below and do not exceed our recommendations.
               20 gallons of water                     6 fl. Oz.
        25-30 gallons of water             8 fl. Oz.
        50 gallons of water                     16 fl. oz.   
5.   Please exchange water at least once during the day and repeat cooling of water. Dosing of Catch and Release and reapply Hydrogen Peroxide to the Livewell.
Don't live your life on what you did yesterday!

vikingbass

Sean, the new studies out on livewells and cooling them state that you should only lower the water temps in your wells 5-10 degrees from the lake temperature, any more than this and when the fish are put back into the water they go into shock and the mortality rate goes way up, this is more of a delayed mortality so it is usually not easily detectable. If guys freeze 16 or 20 oz bottles (3-5 for the day) of water they can throw one of these into the livewell and it usually brings down the temps slowly and they last longer than just puttin ice in.  My undestanding is water temps will be about 80-85 so I would not think that guys will have to do a whole lot to lower just a few degrees. Thanks for the info Sean.....
Todd Gentzel

Sean Hinton

Todd

Thanks for your input. The main idea is to keep fish alive. How you do it is up to the anglers. I wanted to get something out to all of the CTBF STQT Anglers. I just fish a tournament with same water temps and followed these tips. No dead bass! It was 115 degrees air temp those days.

Sean Hinton

I will be bring 12 bottles of live release at the Pre tournament meeting. First come first serve bases only. Each bottle will cost $13.00 and I would recommend that you have a bottle for this tournament.