Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power pro braid snapping  (Read 10298 times)

Diggy_

• Largemouth
  • Peacock Bass
Re: Power pro braid snapping
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2012, 10:37:58 PM »

up to 50lbs is 10 dollars at dicks for 150yds and 300 is 19.99, which they had 65 in...until the 7th

bassn1

• Ultimate Basser
  • Introduce a kid to fishing!!
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2012, 06:29:31 AM »

This past year I tied on some Suffix 8-32. It performed fine within the limited amount of use I put it through. This year I will be using both PP Super Slick and Suffix 8-32. They both will be put to the test this year.

"Success is a Journey. Not a destination".

-Shawn-

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Impulse Rods
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »

I still don't see where so many BAD spools of POwerPro have came from.  I have beeen using it since it first hit walmart shelves a LONG time ago and I have NEVER got a bad spool.   :-\

OK I have now put quite a few hours with 832 and other than being quieter going through the guides it does not have many advantages over regular PowerPro.  It is actually Stiffer and remains so after use.  It looses it's color even faster than PowerPro.

I am still testing, but so far, Saying that 832 is far sperior to powerPro would be incorrect.

bassn1

• Ultimate Basser
  • Introduce a kid to fishing!!
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2012, 07:24:29 AM »

I still don't see where so many BAD spools of POwerPro have came from.  I have beeen using it since it first hit walmart shelves a LONG time ago and I have NEVER got a bad spool.   :-\

My experience as well. 

I am still testing, but so far, Saying that 832 is far sperior to powerPro would be incorrect.

I am testing both because 1. one may be superior 2. Newer technology.
Make no mistake, I still have my 1500 yd. spools of original PP as a failsafe.

"Success is a Journey. Not a destination".

Diggy_

• Largemouth
  • Peacock Bass
Re: Re: Power pro braid snapping
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2012, 07:29:42 AM »

I still don't see where so many BAD spools of POwerPro have came from.  I have beeen using it since it first hit walmart shelves a LONG time ago and I have NEVER got a bad spool.   :-

OK I have now put quite a few hours with 832 and other than being quieter going through the guides it does not have many advantages over regular PowerPro.  It is actually Stiffer and remains so after use.  It looses it's color even faster than PowerPro.

You may want to try the new pp slick 8 if you are a fan. Feels nicer than the 832 from the initial feel. I've only tried the 832 as of yesterday so I can't really say something positive yet. The pp equivalent is more than the suffix in price.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

paco

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2013, 10:39:12 AM »

Time for my 2 cents worth concerning 30 lb power pro braid! I lost about 10 lures over a two night period due to my brand new 30 lb test moss green line snapping when I would jerk the line to set the hook when I would have a strike. I ran into the mother load of snook, attacking ballyhoo from under a lit pier. At first I thought it was their sharp gill plates cutting the line. Then I found one of the lost lures floating by me and upon retrieval noticed it still had 6 or so feet of line attached. Mind you, this is brand new power pro. I would feel for any abrasions prior to tying on the lure, and I'm sure the line had no nicks. Now I'm suspecting that if the line has any slack, when jerked to set the hook, it will easily snap at the point where the slack becomes taunt. Ended up catching 17 snook, and lost some 10 lures (thank god I had my tackle box with me!) to the line breaking. Really shook me up, at one point I lost two lures in a row trying to set the hook. I use the uni knot and know for a fact the line was not always breaking at the knot. And think of all those poor fish with lures in their months, I am dismayed that my power pro has failed me and I am going to test it today on land. Thanks!

SonofDitka

• Hunter of hawgs...
  • Largemouth
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »

I have no love of PP after spooling it on a reel this summer and had the privilege of seeing the line snap on casts. I practically tore it off my reel afterwards and replaced it with Suffix 832. An expensive day on the water that one...
The only things that matter in life: The Chicago Bears, women, rye, Jeeps, Shimano and fishing...

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »

Last year I put 30lb PP on a 8000 series surf reel for my buddy. He bought 2 spools of some kind of green color on clearance from Bass Pro or WalMart, not sure which one it was, they were 500 yard spools, never saw them like that before.

It took almost those two spools to fill his reel, it lasted less than 3 months in the salt before it started to break on casts, I checked the rod it was on for nicks in the guides, bad spots on the reel, nothing. I went through that whole spool and was able to pull it apart by hand every 25 feet or so, till today, I still don't know what caused the problems, it was rotten all the way down to the bottom of the reel. This time around we just put 25lb Bullbuster mono on it, it is way too expensive to fill that reel every few months with braid.

The only time I had seen that kind of breakage down into the spool like that was when using straight Dacron braid, but that was usually after having it on a reel for a year or more. The mono has lasted all season, with regular trimmings, etc, I will probably have to re-spool it before spring, but it is still serviceable.

I have had 20lb 832 on a couple reels almost a year now and it has held up very well in the salt, I'm using them on spinning gear, don't know if that makes a difference. Like Shawn said, 832 does fade quickly, but then I really don't worry about that too much.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 23 queries.