Power pro braid snapping

Started by Bar of Silver, August 14, 2011, 05:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBrooke

Quote from: dodgeguy on September 30, 2011, 07:34:32 PM
why would you laugh at facts.that's why powerpro finally came out with their new braid.it's an 8 strand braid like the better braids out there.they new they were behind on this one.
1. I laugh because your post was mostly opinionated
2. I laugh cause you say it was out dated
I can easily say Dodge is out dated because I saw a Durango broke down on the side of the road.
This section under construction.

dodgeguy

Quote from: DBrooke on September 30, 2011, 07:54:22 PM
1. I laugh because your post was mostly opinionated
2. I laugh cause you say it was out dated
I can easily say Dodge is out dated because I saw a Durango broke down on the side of the road.

1)the differences between four and 8 strand braids are facts and not opinions
2)that durango had 300245 miles on it.
chrysler master tech,avid fisherman and i bleed red,white and blue!!!!We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

DBrooke

Not the one I saw a couple months ago, actually according to the owner it was still under it's factory warranty when the motor took a crap.

Yet still out dated is your opinion, not a fact. 4 strand, yes fact but out dated is still your opinion.

dodgeguy

Quote from: DBrooke on September 30, 2011, 08:03:20 PM
Not the one I saw a couple months ago, actually according to the owner it was still under it's factory warranty when the motor took a crap.

Yet still out dated is your opinion, not a fact. 4 strand, yes fact but out dated is still your opinion.

the guy probably never changed his oil.by your thinking a model t is not outdated.
chrysler master tech,avid fisherman and i bleed red,white and blue!!!!We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

DBrooke

No sir that would be by your thinking. I never said anything was out dated. So maybe you should stop and scroll. You are the one saying things are outdated.
What I said was "I can easily say Dodge is out dated because I saw a Durango broke down on the side of the road." But, I didn't say it WAS. I it as an example to how simple minded you are sounding.
But if you realllly want me to say something is outdated, I can say your spell check/auto correct is outdated.

dodgeguy

so my spelling stinks.so what?why are you so upset because i said it's outdated?even powerpro knows it is so they came out with an 8 strand braid.i told a shimano rep it was outdated and he didn't argue .he just went back and now two years they make an 8 strand braid.you can't argue that 8 strand braids are not better.4 strand is old technology.if you prefer to use it that's fine with me.i could care less.all i wanted to do was inform others there are much better braids out there.if better ones come along in the future then i will switch to them.

DBrooke

~roflmao

Who is upset? Actually you are my entertainment on this dull evening I am having!

Diggy_

It snapped again, luckily I got my lure back. I took all of the line off of the reel, it looked worn, rotted and frayed. The line isnt more than 2 months old either.

I bought a new spool of line today and got rid of that reel.

dodgeguy

Quote from: DBrooke on September 30, 2011, 08:34:32 PM
~roflmao

Who is upset? Actually you are my entertainment on this dull evening I am having!

here is a summary from a tackle tour test of some 8 strand braids.here is a link to the review.you might want to educate yourself and read it.since it was written sufix 832 is out as are a few other 8 strands.

"If superlines are your game and you're looking for something with a bit more body for better casting performance, any of these three lines will suit your needs. Moving beyond the basic four carriers in the line really adds body and increases handling characteristics with an end product that is more tightly wound and seemingly less abusive with your guides. I for one, will continue to use these products over other four carrier lines and hope to see more products with this type of refinement on the market soon."

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpremiumbraidroundup.html

joiseystud

I mostly like the Suffix 832 Lo Vis green  I have been using, but notice that the color came off the line really quickly. I dont think this is a big deal though... I still caught a bunch of fish on it even without "low vis" coloring.  Its really strong and a size thinner than other superlines in the same # test rating meaning farther casts and more line on the reel.

dodgeguy

i color the end black the last 6 feet with permanent marker.all braids lose color.you can get permanent markers in any color to touch up the end.sufix 832 is now made in white also and is available at cabelas.it would be high vis above water and you could make the last 6 feet any color.

Furflys

I have had it break on the cast and also had it break a couple times on the hooks set. I went to the P-line Spectra. Have not had a problem. It was a little hard to find in 65lb test, but when I did find it I bought all 4 rolls.
www.therodglove.com
Dobyns Rods - Pro Staff
Oxygenator - Pro Staff

Diggy_

My friend just had to cut about 30 feet off of his spinning reel. He broke off 4 baits, I tied one after and that flew off. Bad braid

My last 2 spools have been fine it seems
Using Tapatalk

Diggy_

just had a live target shiner snap off on a cast. 12 dollar lure which was given to me. Luckily I was able to retrieve it in one try with my other rod.

Time to try another brand

saint romain

I've used both PowerPro and Suffix, both are great IMO. I've had bad experiences with both. I have gotten a bad spool of PP. But, every spool of suffix I've used are almost white from about 2 weeks use. With their spools costing almost double, I usually stick to PP (I did splurge once, I won 80$ playing the powerball  ;D). I have reels spooled up with both, I like to use Suffix on my spinning reel but my casting reels are spooled with PP right now.

PBrussell

Woo. It was getting a little hot in here. I'd like to mention that it's probably not worth getting all  ~rant  ~xyz about some line. Now, I will comment that even if powerpro's braid is 4 strand, that doesn't mean it's model T old and therefore useless. We use "old" proven designs all the time.

How about carburated motors? Do people still use those and build those? Yes? Is the technology older? Yes. Is it useless? No.

I used powerpro for some time without any problems. I recently made the switch to suffix and find it has the same strength offered in powerpro but better castability. The line seems to be a bit smoother. Powerpro is an awesome line however, and I would never dock it for the reasons mentioned above.

Finally, it's probably not worth getting worked up over line. Use what works for you, and if it doesn't, don't laugh at the guy or call him stupid.

bassincali

had a bad roll once and sent it back and got a free hat and stickers

Mike Cork

Bravo PRussell great post all around.

Older tech? Sure, but so are many things in your house right now that work just fine.

I've used Power Pro since a member here turned me on to it many years ago. Absolutely love it, and it accounts for a dozen eight pound or better fish and my personal best of 12+ and if you seen where I fish you'd never use anything else. Never once have I broke it, and to be honest anyone that does break it on a cast or hook set better look at their knot a lot closer. Just saying. NO ONE wants to be told or believe they tied a bad knot, but it happens.

Flip side, if your convinced that it's bad line  ~roflmao that's why there are so many on the market. State your OPINION and move on ~c~ ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

-Shawn-

After This thread Started, I did by a Couple of Spools of 832 and while it is quieter and seems maybe a little more limp out of the box, it also seems to have a little less abrasion resistence.  :-\
All for nearly twice the price of PowerPro.  :o

After Our Trip to Falcon after Christmas I will let you know what I think.  But right Now, I can't see any reason to switch.

bassmaster3541

I have 30lb 832 or fishing horny toads and 40lb powerpro on my frog rod. I absolutely think the 832 casts farther, and no doubt in my mind will not cut as easy. When retying alone, I have to put pressure on both ends of the line and cut to get through the 832, powerpro I can hold one end of line and push with the same pair of scissors and it slices through no problem at all.
Pro Staff for Dobyns Rods, Elite Tungsten, and Buggs Jigs

Mike Cork

:-\ Maybe I'm using a different Power Pro than all of you? I have to use a knife that will shave your arm to cut the Power Pro I'm using?  :surrender: :surrender:

Cork's Reel Service

bassmaster3541

Mike, I'm not saying I have a problem with the powerpro, i haven't had any problem with it breaking on fish or anything, but in my experience the 832 is way stronger
Pro Staff for Dobyns Rods, Elite Tungsten, and Buggs Jigs

-Shawn-

Quote from: bassmaster3541 on December 19, 2011, 10:37:47 AM
Mike, I'm not saying I have a problem with the powerpro, i haven't had any problem with it breaking on fish or anything, but in my experience the 832 is way stronger

So Far I have noticed just the opposite as far as abrasion resistance.  But I also Know that what we fish in the south is alot more abrasive than what yall fish up north, so less abrasion resistence will show up quicker.

I will take pics of what we are fishing and the abrasion differences while we are at Falcon next week so everyone can see what I am talking about.  Might even try to do a Video.  :-*

Mike Cork

Cork's Reel Service

Ron Fogelson

Abrasion resistance is IMHO much different from the wood filled waters we fish in LA and TX to the waters in the north east with the shells, zebra mussels and the like I would say both Power Pro and other braided lines will excel in different areas.  :-*