Having trouble getting on plane before the prop blows out

Started by fishunter, June 08, 2010, 05:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishunter

Hello fellow gambler owners, I have a 2003 2100 that i absolutely love. I am having a problem getting on plane and keeping the prop hooked up. Prop is in like new condition and i have never hit anything. This problem has just developed i have tried moving the plate down but i never had to do that before. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lee Smith

can't wait to see the answer, I have a friend with a Gambler that has the same problem!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

sjbassin

ANDY BOY

DaveK911

You really are not specific enough explaining the problem with the hole shot.  If it is simply taking forever to get up, you might have broken off a reed (behind the carbs).  I had this problem with my 225 Mercury and 21ft Gambler.  I installed fiberglass Bosen Reeds in case it happens again.  The Bosen fiberglass reed with break up and will not score the walls of the piston.  I still to this day cannot believe the aluminum reed went through the cylinder without problems.  Another problem can be the a bad ECM.  This is the epoy sealed box that the is on the plug wire opposite the spark plug.  The final cause could be a bad stator (similar to a distributor cap).  I have had all of these issues myself on my Mercury & Gambler.  To trouble shoot the ECM, take the plug wire off one at a time, keep it dry when you come off the throttle.  If the motor runs rougher when you try the hole shot, it is not that ECM.  If the motor runs the same, you have found the culprit.  It is not a bad idea to buy a new ECM carry an extra one of these with you to trouble shoot the problem you are describing. 
If you are having a cavitation blowout during the hole shot, check to see if your prop has blow holes that take the plug inserts.  Over time, these can become brittle and break and fall out.  It will allow too much exhaust to flow over the blades of the prop and not grab enough water.  Make sure the hull is not damaged in damaged as well, this can be causing air disruption in the path of the prop as well.  Take the prop off and make sure there is not fishing line on the prop shaft.

fishunter

Hi Dave I know that it has been awhile since i have responded but i do have the plastic pieces in holes on the prop, several are not there. Do you know how many should be open and or closed? The motor does not skip a beat while trying to get on plane the prop just starts to come unhooked. I have never hit anything and just recently replace the hub because i thought that it might be spun. It showed signs of wear but after i replaced it nothing changed. If i take my time coming out of the hole i can acheive plane without cavitation but i never had to do that before. Thanks for all your help! John

gamblerjewell

Just start adding plugs in vevt holes and if it is to much you can drill out center of plastic plugs and enlarge the size to perfect the blow by.