Your thoughts on my setup. Thanks

Started by Jfan, September 08, 2011, 12:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfan

Just got me some frogs to try out. Never been a frog guy but looks like fun. I want to be about to also use it for the other applications though besides frogs. Things like heavy jigs ect...

Anyways was Thinking:  Abu Garcia Revo SX 6.4:1 on a Shimmono Claris 7' Med heavy or just heavy with a fast tip and was thinking 60 lb braided line. 

I'm pretty sure the local shop had the 6.4:1 it might have been the 7.1:1 but don't think it was.

Anyways thanks for the help and any advice on this combo or a better combo if you have one for very close to the same price or cheeper. Thanks

Jfan

Forgot to post the reel is $169 and the rod for $79.

And I also don't like the foam handle rods like all the new Abu Garcia ones. I like the cork.

Mike Cork

That is a very good reel. However if you look around you can find the Shimano curado for 149 and it's a big debate which is better but both are excellent. Check out the Okuma line of reels also. While I think a 7:1 reel is better for frog fishing it's not the best if your gonna fish multiple applications. Monster Fishing Tackle ( banner link on the right of the screen) has an okuma cayenne reel for 69 dollars and it's fantasic. Something to look at, I have four and love them.

The rod? Well it's a quality mid level rod, if you could save a few bucks on the reel I'd look at a crucial if you wanted to stay in the shimano line.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

crankenstein

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 08, 2011, 02:00:06 PM
That is a very good reel. However if you look around you can find the Shimano curado for 149 and it's a big debate which is better but both are excellent. Check out the Okuma line of reels also. While I think a 7:1 reel is better for frog fishing it's not the best if your gonna fish multiple applications. Monster Fishing Tackle ( banner link on the right of the screen) has an okuma cayenne reel for 69 dollars and it's fantasic. Something to look at, I have four and love them.

The rod? Well it's a quality mid level rod, if you could save a few bucks on the reel I'd look at a crucial if you wanted to stay in the shimano line.

I agree on the Okumas. Great reels. I have a Serrano and could kick myself for not buying a Cayenne 200W when they were on sale on Monster. Personally, I would try to save a little on the reel and upgrade to a lighter (weight, not power) rod.

Jfan

So you guys are saying that I'm looking at reels that are kinda to good for the rods that I'm looking at and I should look at cheeper reels and better rods?

pondboss

I think they are say less expensive, not cheaper. ;)  I tend to agree though, fishing is getting expensive and can get out of hand.  Try to save where you can, and the Okuma reels are anything but cheap yet they come with a nicer price tag.

The early bird may indeed get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Jfan

Quote from: crankenstein on September 08, 2011, 06:31:52 PM

I agree on the Okumas. Great reels. I have a Serrano and could kick myself for not buying a Cayenne 200W when they were on sale on Monster. Personally, I would try to save a little on the reel and upgrade to a lighter (weight, not power) rod.

So is the CY200 not as good as the other 200w?

What about the Abu Orra SX l

How do they rate compaired the cayenne

Haven't had Orra in my hand but it's lower in price vs the Revo witch would allow me to add the the rod price I guess.

Crap idk What to do know though I had my rod and reel picked but guess not. Ugh

Jfan

Saw that the local walmart had abu garcia conolon premier rods and also the Abu Garcia Black Max. They even had the ugly stick rod

I'm assuming that they are crappy Compaired to the other that have been posted above?

kidd

I started out with a black max and conolon rod.  The reel lasted about a year or so and the rod is as good as ever.  In defense of the reel it was only $50 and I caught tons of fish with it using 50 lb braid.  I wouldn't call them crappy (especially the rod) but definitely lower on quality than their other models such as the Revos.

crankenstein

Quote from: Jfan on September 09, 2011, 09:53:06 PM
So is the CY200 not as good as the other 200w?

What about the Abu Orra SX l

How do they rate compaired the cayenne

Haven't had Orra in my hand but it's lower in price vs the Revo witch would allow me to add the the rod price I guess.

Crap idk What to do know though I had my rod and reel picked but guess not. Ugh

The 200W has a shallow spool, the 200 is a large line capacity spool, that's the only difference.  That's just a personal preference for me.

I've handled an Orra in the tackle shop, it feels pretty good and I've read some good reviews on it.

There's nothing wrong with your original combo if you like it. That's all that matters. For me, it took several years to figure out that the rod meant more to me than the reel. Again, that's my personal preference. I once put a $150 Daiwa reel on a $20 Quantum rod. I caught fish on it, but it felt like I was swinging a club ~b~. A good, lightweight rod will bring out the best in whatever reel you buy.

One more option to throw at you, have you considered any Bass Pro Shops combo's? The Carbonlite combo would be a good compromise. I think you can get the combo for about $185 and still have some $$$ left over for lures.

Jfan

I actuly use two bass pro rods know. Well I use one and one needs fixed. Ones a 7' power Flex medium with a shomano syncopate 2000 had it sance I was a kid and it still work  not that it's up to date but works for know. The other rod is a bass pro tourney special IM6 6'6" med action. It needs the eyes fixed on it though. But I have also had that one sance I was a kid.

I was just wanting a few much nicer rod and reels to fish with. Just getting back into fishing, it's been about 10+ years or so.

I don't mind spending the money. I just want to get the best bang for the buck. But at the same time want a good / great product. But being Im wanting a few rod and reel combos I don't want to break the bank. Not that I'm buying them all at once.

So let me ask this being that the local bait shop is big with shamano and I have always likeed that brand. What's a few of their nicer rods that are around $100 or so give or take 20 or so.

As far as rods I really liked the revo I played with at the shop but will try out a few others that they might have. Then ask you all about the ones I find appalling to me.

BIG THANKS for all the help so far btw.  Been very helpful