Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baitcaster for Light Lures?  (Read 19595 times)

Diggy_

• Largemouth
  • Peacock Bass
Re: Baitcaster for Light Lures?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »

Carbon lite reels cast far. The tiny torpedo I have would fly.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

yak-aholic

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 11:50:54 PM »

the jighead Plus the Paddle-tail minnow is probability  close to a total weight of 3/8oz

Hate to keep beating a dead horse, but went out in the yard today and pulled the plastic off of the 1/16oz. jig-head I had tied on the rod with the Shimano Caenan. Still able to cast the bare jighead at least 80-90 feet. Personally, I think it has a LOT to do with the rod action and settings of the reel.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught.

PainInTheBass

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
    • PainInTheBass
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »

Definitely a combination of properly matched rod and reel are required to cast light lures.  More important than the m or mh rating of a rod is lure weight range.  That is the important thing.  The lure weight range identifies the weight of lure that will load the blank properly for casting.  If the blank won't load properly, then you will have issues casting that particular lure.  The spool + line weight of a reel will then impact the distance once the lure is cast is dictated by the energy lost in getting the spool spinning, and in the energy required to maintain the spin.  Because the energy required to start up the spool on a cast decreases as the spool and line weight decreases, then the lighter the spool and line, the better the casting distance.  This applies to all reels, but is more significant when dealing with lighter baits for which there is not a lot of potential energy built up during the backswing of a cast due to the small mass. 
Check out my fishing adventures @ http://paininthebass.blogspot.com/

J.Bucketmouth

• UB Member
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 12:15:52 AM »

I've got a Calcutta 200 had for some time and didn't think I'd find a reel I loved as much ever... However, the Revo Stx is something... I've had it over 2 years now and can't wait to cast it... it never gets old... here's what I like about it... first it looks great.. second- it casts smooth and far... third- the drag is awesome for handling big fish... and fourth-it's so compact, yet still holds plenty of line... you never tire casting this reel and it's super light...  I have it paired with a Team allstar med heavy rod...

Tavery5

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »

Two reels that are capable of throwing lighter baits and are found for around 150, are the Shimano 50E and Daiwa Sol.   Both are somewhat capable out of the box, upgrading the spool bearings makes them very nice.

dave0943

• Smallmouth
  • Oldschool Bassman/ Fantasy teams
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 02:09:32 PM »

If I cast smaller finese stuff I'll change to spinning most of the time. I can and have used my Lew's tournament reel to toss 1/8 heads, but as another has said that adding plastics bumps the weight
so several of my BC reels will toss them with lighter pound line.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 24 queries.