Baitcaster for Light Lures?

Started by ChathamHill, December 01, 2011, 01:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChathamHill

Christmas is around the corner and because I am on the nice list this year Santa is building two custom rods for me. I already have a 201E to pair with one of the rods, but need suggestions for a good reel for the other. Long story short, I need some opinions on the best baitcasters for casting lighter lures (1/8oz, whacky senkos, etc.) This reel will go on a Loomis 783 medium action which based on my calculations should be a good set up when paired with the proper reel for lighter applications. My price range is around 150 give or take a few. I know there is a lot of knowledge on here and would greatly appreciate all input.

Thanks,
Brock

duke13372

I've got one of the new Ardent Edge Tournament reels on the way.  It's MSRP is around $159.  I got a good deal this past weekend from the only place I could find them right now which is Tacklewarehouse.  I'm going to try this offering made in St Louis, MO.  I'll post when I get it about my first impressions.  Of course, many of the reels today are similar because they're all produced in Asia.  Many of the Bass Pro reels are similar to the Abu's I believe.  They do have the dual braking system however.  You can pick up many of them on sale right now.  For me I'm going to give to the USA company an opportunity. 

bass1cpr

Just a small correction Ardent is made in Macon Missouri.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

mlakrid

If I were you, I would first change the title of your thread to indicate you are looking for suggestions for reels.
Then go into your description about casting light lures... I just think you will get alot more people chiming in on what reels will or wont work for your application.

Have you tried using lighter line and adjusting your brakes to attempt to cast lighter lures?

There are many baitcasters that can cast light lures, your 201E is actually one of them... but the smaller the series reel for baitcasters typically the better they will be at casting much smaller lighter lures.

The best Shimano reel to cast lighter lures right now is probabaly a close race between the Core MG 50 and the calais 100; but that is WAY outside the price range you are looking to spend being that they are between $350 and 450, so the next closest is Shimano is the Chronarch 50 at around $200.

I would tell you this however, unless you plan to throw VERY light lures less than 1/4 oz alot, you would be better suited using a spinning outfit for them. You will save alot of money, and frustration.

It is either that, or get your thumb VERY educated on how to avoid overruns...

P.S. I stuck to Shimano since you already have one, there are other options, but I didnt know if you are loyal to Shimano or are looking for ANY baitcaster that will throw them.

Either way, post back and let us know what you decide.

Cheers!

Mike A!
A Bad day on the water is still better than the best day at work!!@!!

DBrooke

Easy one, get another 201E! I use mine for everything lo
This section under construction.

ChathamHill

Thanks for the replies gentleman. I changed the title so people will know I am talking about a reel and not lures.

Mike A- I have another 201E7 that I have played around with and casted some lighter lures on before. However, I have these reels paired with rods that I use for some heavier applications. I suppose with some fine tuning and a few modifications that another curado 201E would do fine, but I really want a baitcaster that is specialized for casting lighter lures. I'll take a look at the 51E and the chronarch 50, and hopefully get some more opinions on here. Thanks for the input bud.

duke13372

Those small reels will be a nightmare to pull backlashes out of, so plan accordingly.  One more thing about light lures, the rod is as important as the reel.

loomisguy

If you are talking the MBR 783 I dont think you will throw 1/8 oz regardless of the reel. Thats actually a MH.  I use mine as a spinnerbait /TR rod with a e7. I wouldn't want to try anything less than 1/4 oz.

DBrooke

I use a MH to flip 1/8 ounce jigs with my Curado all season.
This section under construction.

loomisguy

I pitch a lot more than flip, but when i do its with the reel engaged .

K2Racing29

I bought a couple BPS Prolite reels. They are perfect. I throw a shaky head on light line with no issues. Tosses cranks with ease. The reel itself is very light too. I bought them on sale for around $60 to boot

Please do not use Outdoor Hub Mobile, Please find and use TapaTalk for your phone
2006 Legend LE21

From the Country that Invented Rock N Roll

duke13372

I have a custom spiral wrapped Loomis MB 782 paired with a Shimano Calcutta 51.  Again, you don't want to backlash a small reel like the 51.  It throws the smaller lures and spinnerbaits up to a point but after a certain weight on a windy day the spinning tackle is the ticket.  I also have a couple of glass rods to throw small cranks.  However it's pushing the limit on baitcasters when you throw a 3/16 ounce rapala shad rap on a windy day. 

beast96z

I have the BPS Prolite like K2 mentioned. Great reel for the money. I think Proreel did a disection of one and basically came to the conclusion that it was a repainted Diawa Sol. Those reels sold for $250 in their day. I also have Chronarch 50's. Love those little reels. Just hard to find the original good ones. I'm sure the new ones are good too.

Dan1962

its not the size of the REEL that makes a Baitcaster cast light lures its the weight &  line capacity of the SPOOL that used in the reel !   Take the Chronarch 100D & Core there NOT  tiny little  reels  The reason they cast light Lures so great is because there spools only weight 11grams & hold less line    A light spool is no good if it holds a ton of line  More line just  adds extra weight  which you don't want when tiring to cast very light lures  A 1/2oz lures can start a heavy spool  easy But a 1/8oz lures can't start that same heavy spool  because it don't have the force needed But that 1/8 lure does have the force to start a very light weight spool up pretty easy  SO light Lures =  Light Spools 

duke13372

When I made the trek to replace my spinning tackle or should I say limit my use of spinning tackle, I looked at the rod more so than the reels at the time.  But you really have to consider the reel, line, rod, and the lure.  It all has to work as a unit.  The reason that I put the Calcutta 51 on this rod is due to weight and also the clearance price that I paid for it.  It made the overall weight of the unit very light.  I do believe that it does have one more bearing that the 201 or 151. Whether that helps casting I'm not sure.  Again, with bait casting tackle you reach a point with lures where it's more aggravating than using the spinning tackle.  The little 782 paired with the 51 make it a fun little rod for throwing little jigs, little 4 inch worms, or small spinnerbaits.  At 6-6 it's fun to throw in the car and fish a little farm pond with it.   

Creel Limit Zero

Quote from: DBrooke on December 01, 2011, 03:37:21 PM
I use a MH to flip 1/8 ounce jigs with my Curado all season.

I use Curado's all the time for just about everything, including fishing weightless plastics.  I can't stand spinning reels, I only use them when fishing weightless finesse worms and a long distance skip is required to get way in the back of a dock. 

ChathamHill

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. Im definitely going to check out those BPS pro lite and the chronarch 100. Havent heard anything but good about the BPS and for your money its a great deal.

Loomisguy- My 783 is definitely a medium action. I know a guy who still has a few blanks before they stopped producing them and he is building it custom for me. When I get the rod in a few weeks Ill post the model on here because I cant recall at the moment but I am positive its not a MH action. And if it happens to be a little heavier then I want, that just gives me reason to get another rod built in February for my birthday  ;D

~Dwight~

Before I would get a new Chronarch E series, I would get a Curado 50 E series, basically same reel for less money.  You can find these all over right now on closeout.  Another Reel to take a good look at is the new Lew's, I have one of the Tournament Pro's which is a great reel also, I don't have alot of water time on it, but so far it is a great reel, smooth and seems like it will cast light lures.
Give a man a Fish and He will eat for a Day, Teach a Man to Fish and He will Join a Bass Club and spend Way too much $$$$$$

Dan1962

Quote from: ~Dwight~ on December 02, 2011, 04:11:37 PM
Before I would get a new Chronarch E series, I would get a Curado 50 E series, basically same reel for less money. 
The NEW Chronarch E reels are same as the Old Curado 200E  just painted white  the Curado 50 is a much smaller reel  IF you want The BEST  TRUE High Performance Full size Chronarch  get the 100D series

wvbassguy

The Revo reels cast some of the lightest lures possible. I always have thrown 1/8 ounce on both medium and mh rods with no problem. You could get a Revo SX for around $149 new. You will NOT regret it!

Dan1962

Quote from: ChathamHill on December 02, 2011, 01:55:14 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. Im definitely going to check out those BPS pro lite and the chronarch 100. Havent heard anything but good about the BPS and for your money its a great deal.

Loomisguy- My 783 is definitely a medium action. I know a guy who still has a few blanks before they stopped producing them and he is building it custom for me. When I get the rod in a few weeks Ill post the model on here because I cant recall at the moment but I am positive its not a MH action. And if it happens to be a little heavier then I want, that just gives me reason to get another rod built in February for my birthday  ;D

Make sure if your looking at the Chronarch reels its the Chronarch 100D  Not the NEW Chronarch E   the NEW Chronarch E is just a repainted Curado 200E  & is NO Where the Performance of the Chraonarch 100D reel when it comes to casting light lures !

Dan1962

Quote from: wvbassguy on March 03, 2012, 07:40:45 PM
The Revo reels cast some of the lightest lures possible. I always have thrown 1/8 ounce on both medium and mh rods with no problem. You could get a Revo SX for around $149 new. You will NOT regret it!
the REVO reels don't come close to casting the lighter lures compared to the Chronarch 100D & Core Reels   the Revo spool is like 23 grams in weight  the 100D & Core spools  only weigh 11 grams Plus the spool bearing are  ARB Abec5  Bearings

yak-aholic

I have been throwing 1/16-1/4oz jigheads with 3.5-4" paddle-tail minnows such as the Saltwater Assassin Shad Assassin and Texas Tackle Factory Killer Flats Minnow for about 3 years now. My reels range from a Shimano Caenan 100 to a Quantum Entergy PT and a Quantum Tour PT. The Caenan and Tour will both cast these light lures up to about 90 feet with absolutely no problem. I believe it is a combination of the 10lb Sufix braid and the 7' med-fast rods that I use. I also don't have any with a little side-arm pitch to a close spot when a red appears 20 feet away.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught.

Dan1962

Quote from: yak-aholic on March 04, 2012, 11:48:21 PM
I have been throwing 1/16-1/4oz jigheads with 3.5-4" paddle-tail minnows such as the Saltwater Assassin Shad Assassin and Texas Tackle Factory Killer Flats Minnow for about 3 years now. My reels range from a Shimano Caenan 100 to a Quantum Entergy PT and a Quantum Tour PT. The Caenan and Tour will both cast these light lures up to about 90 feet with absolutely no problem. I believe it is a combination of the 10lb Sufix braid and the 7' med-fast rods that I use. I also don't have any with a little side-arm pitch to a close spot when a red appears 20 feet away.

the jighead Plus the Paddle-tail minnow is probability  close to a total weight of 3/8oz   

crankenstein

I got a Pinnacle Optimus X for Christmas, I've been able to cast a 1/8oz Terminator Tiny T spinnerbait suprisingly well. For the heck of it, I also tried a 4F Bomber Fat A (1.5", 1/5th oz), it actually worked well. Well enough I bought an XT, just haven't had a chance to use that one much.