Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool Casting Reel - awesome anti braking, Wow!!!  (Read 15877 times)

Flyswatter

• Ultimate Basser
  • Zzzzzzzz, set the hook

I have 11 AG Revo baitcasters on my boat and swear by them but I recently purchased Lew's Tournament Speed Spool Casting Reel - the model below their Tournament Pro SPEED Casting Reel for deep cranking.  I've been doing some JB testing and tied on 1/4 oz Husky Jerk 2 7/8" jerkbait and grabbed the first rod and reel setup nearest to me.  It so happened to be my Lew's 5:4.1 baitcaster the model below their Pro series (I'm interested that model in because it's lighter at 6.7 oz) and was so much more impressed with Lew's anti brake system then any of my Revos.  That includes Premiers.   Don't get me wrong I like my Revos.   Most Anti Brakes dials I've used in the past don't make that big of a difference.  Lew's is the first BC I've used that I actually experienced a noticeable difference when casting.  When I dialed in the setting I was impressed how far I could cast that 1/4 oz JB with zero over runs at the end of the cast.  It got me to thinking about Lew's Tournament Pro for possible 2012 transition for my shallow cranking, topwater and swimbaits.   I'm real close to ordering their Pro Series and would like to get feed back from those who has used this reel. The cost at $179 MSRP is very reasonable.  As for drag system for open water cranking I do I'm not real concerned. Not even sure it's an issue.   Also,  Lew's used to be american made do they still them make in USA?   ~cf

JMGullo

• Ultimate Basser

If u love that one then youll love the tournament pro.

Canesfan

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass

Camden is on their Pro Staff so I am sure he will see this and fill you in.  I have 3 of the new Lew's, 2 of the lower end and one of the next step up and LOVE them and will probably buy more.

Oh and I am not positive but I don't think they are made in the USA anymore and in fact are made by the same Company that makes some if not all Bass Pro Reels but am not 100% sure of that.

~Dwight~

• Life Member

I have had a Pro model in my boat since April and just started fishing with it on a regular basis the last few trips.  I am very impressed with this reel.  It has great castability and line control as well.  It is true the MG braking system does its job very well.  It is also a very light weight reel and has a small profile in your hand.  It has many features that more expensive reels have that I like, like most reels this has a click on the drag system but it also has a click on the spool tension knob as well.  That is a really nice feature.  It has the 95mm Carbon Fiber handle to reduce weight as well.  Has anyone priced a ZPI Carbon Fiber handle for a Shimano lately?  When you can find them, they are around $100 for just the handle, no bearings, no paddles.  I haven't tore this reel apart yet to do my yearly maintenance so I can't give any insight as to the quality of the internals, but Lew's have been around for a long time, and I can remember people talking about fishing with the old Speed Spool, ALOT of people swore by these older reels.  So far I am very IMPRESSED with this reel.  I am a Shimano fan, a big one, I have tried other quality reels, Revo Premier, Quantum PT Tour, Lew's Tournament Pro, and out of these, I would definitely choose the Lew's, hands down, no comparison.
      I have been using Shimano for almost 20 years now and although I haven't fished any of the new Chronarch E Series and Curado G series, I have had some time with them in my hands and I already know all the workings in them and not impressed with Shimano as far as their marketing strategy and really do hope that their philosophy and reasoning for doing what they did works out in the end for them and for us, their loyal fans.
     With all of this being said (long I know) I really like the Lew's, a new fishing season comes upon us and you can count that I will be fishing the Lew's more and putting it through the test, and with the options that Shimano has now, there could be a few more of the Lew's on my front deck...   
     I just went and looked at mine and it said it was manufactured in Korea.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:28:35 AM by ~Dwight~ »
Give a man a Fish and He will eat for a Day, Teach a Man to Fish and He will Join a Bass Club and spend Way too much $$$$$$

Flyswatter

• Ultimate Basser
  • Zzzzzzzz, set the hook

Canesfan,

Thanks for the follow up.  Kind of a shame they are not still USA made but heck 95% of what I have is not so that is today's reality.    I would have consider Ardent reels but they are a bit to heavy for my personal use.  Not saying it's bad but I prefer today's lighter reels for 80% of my fishing the other 20% relates to Deep Cranking and I want a my equipment to be beefier with a 5:4.1 winching retrieve.

I was extremely impressed with the anti break dial.

georgiaboy83

• Smallmouth

I have both the SS Tournament Pro and the SS Tournament reels, both are top of the line reels with a price, quality and fishability that is sure to please. I love my tournament pro's I am about to place my order for the 2012 season and all of my baitcasters will be tournament pro's as well as all of my spinning reels will be Speed Spin's. I, like others have mentioned above have been a long time Shimano fan, but last year ran across a Lew's SS Tournament reel and started fishing it and it was a great reel. I was throwing worms father than I had ever thrown before. I had to have another one so I got the SS Tournament Pro and the weight change is noticeably different and I believe it gives me better cast with any lure I put on it. Once I had my taste of these two reels I made contact with Lew's and now I am a proud Pro Staff member and thankful for the chance to spread the word of the Lew's name and the new product line that is being offered. I gladly will say that the Lew's SS Tournament series are the best reels I have ever used! Not because I am on their pro staff, but because they are a product I believe in and trust to bring the fish in the boat and the money home!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:08:41 AM by georgiaboy83 »

JMGullo

• Ultimate Basser

Sorry my first post was short but I was kinda busy. Looks like everyone hit the nail on the head. I also was a big shimanno fan but I now have 2 tournaments, 3 tournament Pros and a LFS spinning reel. I can't say enough good things about them. I haven't torn into them yet because they were awesome straight out the box. Some of my Curados had to be cleaned brand new out the box. I can honestly say if u take a Curado and a Tournament and put them on the same rod. That the Lews will out perform. Probably going to tear one apart next week just cuz I'm curious to
What they look like on the inside.

Broskee

• Ultimate Basser
  • Never Give Up

Probably going to tear one apart next week just cuz I'm curious to
I bet they look like a reel on the inside, but that is just a guess....

couldn't resist  ~roflmao

sillybass

• Ultimate Basser

Sorry my first post was short but I was kinda busy. Looks like everyone hit the nail on the head. I also was a big shimanno fan but I now have 2 tournaments, 3 tournament Pros and a LFS spinning reel. I can't say enough good things about them. I haven't torn into them yet because they were awesome straight out the box. Some of my Curados had to be cleaned brand new out the box. I can honestly say if u take a Curado and a Tournament and put them on the same rod. That the Lews will out perform. Probably going to tear one apart next week just cuz I'm curious to
that reel will never work right again , but I guess you can't get your daddy to fix it for you ~roflmao

Broskee

• Ultimate Basser
  • Never Give Up

that reel will never work right again , but I guess you can't get your daddy to fix it for you ~roflmao
LOL good one!

Dan1962

• Largemouth

Lew's used to be american made do they still them make in USA?   

there made by the same company that makes most of the  BPS Brand reels like the PQ , Carbonlite  & Abu Revo   that's why the internal parts are interchangeable There Made in Korea
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:45:16 PM by Dan1962 »

Stump bumper

• Ultimate Basser
  • Just one more kicker
    • Save 40% on Auto Parts

I know some of you are sponsered by Lew's and can't answer this openly but if you PM me I won't repeat it.

But seeing how they are made in the same factory with interchangable parts with BPS reels is there a BPS reel that compares with the Pro model?

I am not cheap just poor but I can afford BPS reel from the return center once in a while and would be very interested in a comparison.
Beaver Lake  Arkansas

loomisguy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass

I fished the tournament pro for about 6 months and thought it was a nice reel.  If I threw the same bait with the same rod it would land in about the same spot as my curados and chronarchs. (as any good reel should ). In the end ,I didn't care for the dual braking, and the shape of the side plate was hard for me to get used to. So, I'll stick with Shimano , I will say it has a great drag, I accidentally caught a flathead on a brush hog that I'm sure would have weighed 12 lbs and it handled him easily.
   Like I said  nice reel, feels like a revo to me. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:56:46 AM by loomisguy »

Camden

• Here Fishy
  • Ultimate Basser
  • The Happy Gilmore of Bass Fishing!
    • Ultimate Bass

the new owners are taking Lews in a great direction in rebuilding the name in the industry. Being younger i had never really heard the Lews name. I was in my local shop and they said the had a great deal on a new reel. For the price i figured i couldnt go wrong. Glad i was right. Now dont get of wrong there are things i hope may change. The biggest being a flipping switch on some of the models. That being said the braking performs flawlessly and casting is a breeze as you all know. I have handled ten lb catfish with no problem. There are some new reels out for the new year as well. Im just now gettin off work so ill post some more info later.
Stump ill pm ya later today man about the bps i would use

Flyswatter

• Ultimate Basser
  • Zzzzzzzz, set the hook
Re: Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool Casting Reel
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 07:22:44 AM »

Well,  I placed my order yesterday for Lew's Tournament Pro SPEED Casting Reel.  Although, my selections are limited because I'm left handed and  6:4.1 is my only gear ratio option to choose from that is acceptable right now because it is my primary retrieve speed. However, I hope that in 2012 Lew's adds more gear ratio options for Left handers.  I know I'm in the minority and I have be patient.   :) 

Now I'll have two Lew's baitcasters on my boat.   Price Point is much better then my Revo's and I prefer Lew's braking system over any reel I've owned which are Revos and my past Shimanos.   If I am happy with this reel I'll be ordering more in 2012.

Camden

• Here Fishy
  • Ultimate Basser
    • Ultimate Bass

ill check the new line when i get home for left game models for ya

Flyswatter

• Ultimate Basser
  • Zzzzzzzz, set the hook

Camden,

I'll tell you I'm very impressed with the one Lew Bait caster I have now. Much appreciated per any LH follow up.  ~c~

georgiaboy83

• Smallmouth

Camden,

I'll tell you I'm very impressed with the one Lew Bait caster I have now. Much appreciated per any LH follow up.  ~c~

From all the info I got on the new line-up for 2012 there is only 1 left handed reel available in 4 of the series, 3 of which are in 6.4:1 ratios & the New Tournament MG is in 5.4:1!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:26:30 PM by georgiaboy83 »

Ron Fogelson

• See You On the Water
  • Admin
  • IMPULSE RODS! Never lets you down in a fight
    • Kistler Custom Fishing Rods
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »

I hope that in 2012 Lew's adds more gear ratio options for Left handers.  I know I'm in the minority and I have be patient.   :) 

I don't understand, I'm left handed and have thought for the last 40 years that fishing was just about the only thing made for us southpaws...... Are you casting with your left hand and then switching the rod to your right and reeling with your left?

A Left hand retrieve reel IMHO isn't for us left handed folks,,,, itís for right handed folks so they can cast with their right hand and reel in with their left.   :-\

Stump bumper

• Ultimate Basser
  • Just one more kicker
    • Save 40% on Auto Parts
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 01:16:50 PM »

I don't understand, I'm left handed and have thought for the last 40 years that fishing was just about the only thing made for us southpaws...... Are you casting with your left hand and then switching the rod to your right and reeling with your left?

A Left hand retrieve reel IMHO isn't for us left handed folks,,,, itís for right handed folks so they can cast with their right hand and reel in with their left.   :-\

I am used to reeling with my left hand on spinning reels and cannot use a spinning reel turned around to reel with the right so I bought two left handed baitcasters thinking it would be "natural" to reel with my left and but the problem is how I hold the reel, my right hand wants to hold the rod like a spinning rod. :-\ So for the right handed anyway it is a matter of palming the reel rather than reeling but I will not pick up one of my right handed reels until I adapt.  ~bb

It only makes since to cast with one hand and reel with the other but for some reason the brain doesn't want to accept that but only on baitcasters but spinning it does?
Beaver Lake  Arkansas

Camden

• Here Fishy
  • Ultimate Basser
    • Ultimate Bass

Left handed models are as follows
Speed Spool Tourny Pro  6.4;1
Speed Spool Tourny     6.4;1
Tournament MG 5.4;1
Speed Spool 6.4;1

Canesfan

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 04:39:30 PM »

I am a lefty also and only use RH baitcaster's although on a spinning reel, I reel with my left hand.  Not sure why but it is uncomfortable to reel with my right hand on a spinning reel.

Flyswatter

• Ultimate Basser
  • Zzzzzzzz, set the hook
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 10:15:43 PM »

I agree.  I don't get it but I'm biased because I use LH reels.   ~roflmao

Flyswatter

• Ultimate Basser
  • Zzzzzzzz, set the hook

Camden thank you.  I have the Tournament LH MG 5.4;1 for my deep cranking.  One heckuva a reel.

Left handed models are as follows
Speed Spool Tourny Pro  6.4;1
Speed Spool Tourny     6.4;1
Tournament MG 5.4;1
Speed Spool 6.4;1

Flyswatter

• Ultimate Basser
  • Zzzzzzzz, set the hook

My new Tournament Pro came in and I went to the lake yesterday and boy I am impressed with this reel.  I'm sold on the Lew's TP, it's uperlight at 6.7 oz,  I absolutely like the anti brake system and it cast really well into the wind.  That Anti backlash brake dial really stands out to me by comparison to my Revos.   I'll use it for about a month to see how it holds up.  If it does I'm ordering more.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 24 queries.