A199 set up ?

Started by Russ199A, January 12, 2012, 08:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ199A

Got '08 199 w/225 proXS on the back, running a 26p fury. Turning 6100 light and 5700 loaded heavy.
I'm at 2 3/4" below pad, running 73's when light but with passenger, fuel, full livewells and gear I can only manage about 65 mph.
When I'm lite, at about 68mph the bow lifts up (alot, you can notice it from another boat) and then I pick up another 5mph but it starts to get greasy in the rear. That is it chine walks bad.
I've raised the motor to 2 1/2" above and speed goes to 75 but it gets a little wild to drive.  Lowered to 3" and speed falls to 71 but handling improves.
Do you think I need to put more tip cup in the prop and turn it up to a 27 pitch???  Thanks.
Been a little quiet in here lately.
2014, 2016 & 2017 TCTC AOY - With a little help from the man upstairs!

Buzbait88

I don't have a 199 or a legend for that matter, but I think a 27 pitch would hurt your loaded performance even more.  Do you run full trim all the time?  On my boat I found that it chined really bad full trim, but if I trimmed down I got more speed and the chinewalk went away.  Could be a problem with weight distrubution as well.  Especially losing that much speed with a partner.  It looks like most 199 owners are running there motors between 3.25 and 3.75" below pad.  You may also want to try a bunch of different props.  Fury may not be the best for that boat.  a 26 trophy or 26 or 27 tempest plus might better suit you.
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

~Dwight~

Hey Russ, I have a 4 blade TXP you might try...I think its a 26P
Give a man a Fish and He will eat for a Day, Teach a Man to Fish and He will Join a Bass Club and spend Way too much $$$$$$

JMGullo

Quote from: ~Dwight~ on January 12, 2012, 09:00:29 PM
Hey Russ, I have a 4 blade TXP you might try...I think its a 26P

I'd like to try that too

Russ199A

I was running a worked 27 tempest plus turned up to a 28 with double cupping. I was running 5900rpm, had great handling, and 71 loaded 74 lite and I was running 3.5" BP.
I tried a Fury before and loved it, but this one isn't living up to the other. I was thinking about turning this Fury up to a 27 due to I'm real close to hitting the limiter.

I'm not running at full trim, I watch my speed and when I slow due to trimming, I trim back down slighly and regain my handling and speed. However, that fine line is even slimmer now.
2014, 2016 & 2017 TCTC AOY - With a little help from the man upstairs!

bassmasta63

I've got same boat just a 2012,running a 26 fury,I get 73 by my self,70 with a passenger. Not sure where my jack plate is set,have not messed with it. I think it will go faster than 73 once I learn how to drive it,it gets wild at 73 and I have to let out of it! I like it at 70 though because its so easy to drive at that speed!
2012 199 225 pro xs