will this be good for pitchin and abu pro max question

Started by buzzfrog, January 29, 2012, 06:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzfrog

So with trying to get jigs to be my confidence, i am thinking of getting another set up. right now i am using a daiwa balsitic XH 7'3 rod with a quantum pt burner reel. 50 lb Ppro. so today was out getting my topwater rod, gander was having a sell on there carrots and i got a pt 7'3 MH, wanting to know a good line and medium priced reel. since i had braid on my other i was thinking of flurocarbon, heard it was great aswell of pitchen.  I was looking at the quantum code 7 gear,  Quantum PT Catalyst 7 gear or a abu pro max, whats your opnions.
Black SunShine

Mike Cork

Not knowing what kind of water you'll be pitching too, I'd say that all those combination will work. I'd recommend putting the reels on the rod(s) and getting a feel for them and see which combination feels best in your hands.

As far as line goes, Flouro is a good pitching line if your cover is not extremely thick. If you have dirty water I'd stick with the braid myself.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

buzzfrog

alright, will get braird then, thank you thinking of the pro max,
Black SunShine

Mike Cork

I failed to mention in my previous post that I'd go with a 7 to 1 gear ratio for a reel, it will allow you to make more pitches in a day and take up line faster for those fish that swim right at you after they pick up the bait. Just an added thought. I don't know if the pro max comes in a high speed gear ratio or not?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Diggy_

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 30, 2012, 07:40:36 AM
I failed to mention in my previous post that I'd go with a 7 to 1 gear ratio for a reel, it will allow you to make more pitches in a day and take up line faster for those fish that swim right at you after they pick up the bait. Just an added thought. I don't know if the pro max comes in a high speed gear ratio or not?
it comes 7:1 which is weird because the silver Max comes in 6 ratio but with a flippin switch

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

buzzfrog

yea, lol i was talking about the pro in 7, sorry to sound dumb, what a flippin switch, i like the revos and have a few, but this is a spur of moment thing, and the pros look nice. if all else falls switch my 7 gear revo off my frog rod to the carrot and put pro on my frog rod,... lol confused yet :)
Black SunShine

Diggy_

It allows you to drop line from the spool and stop it/engage the spool without having to turn the handle on the reel. I did my best to explain it. Look at the silvermax reel and you will see it on the abu or any site

From abu site

Performance and toughness are hallmarks of the Max family, and the flipping switch included on this reel provides a swift means for casting jigs and plastics with just a touch of the thumb.

Dan1962

I would not buy any Baitcasting reel with a Plastic Frame .

buzzfrog

didn't know it was plastic, have an pinnacle i got for my first, and it is still kicking
Black SunShine

buzzfrog

hey i put my revo on my carrot stick just to throw some pitches, it has like micro guides at the end and it make a grindin type noise, will the braid were the guides toward the end down or is this just the sound the braid will make. i dont notice on my skeet reese and daiwa rods(the only other 2 that have braid)

also said it will hold up to 7/8 onces, that is the one i wat for pitchin right?
Black SunShine

Diggy_

Quote from: buzzfrog on January 30, 2012, 12:57:54 PM
didn't know it was plastic, have an pinnacle i got for my first, and it is still kicking

graphite frame like walmart pinnacles

buzzfrog

oh, you serious the pro max is plasitc, oh well didnt wanna sink more than a hundo inot the reel, more worried about the braid and my line giudes at moment.  i cant complain on pinncle though
Black SunShine

kidd

I used a black max with 50 lb braid on it for frogs and it lasted around a year with tons of fish.  Not the highest quality but it worked til I got a little more serious about fishing.

Diggy_

Maybe you want to try the quantum code reel being at the same price...cant give any feedback but its aluminum and comes in 7 ratio, right hand only tho..not sure if you are lefty

All-metal one-piece premium aluminum frame
Aluminum gear-side cover
Precision 8-bearing system
Continuous Anti-Reverse™ ACS™ II adjustable centrifugal cast control
Flippin' Switch™

Dan1962

they mix Graphite fibers in the plastic to make it Hard   They call it  Graphite because it sounds better then Plastic But is really just Plastic with Graphite Fibers .

Dan1962

Quote from: Diggy_ on January 30, 2012, 04:05:21 PM
Maybe you want to try the quantum code reel being at the same price...cant give any feedback but its aluminum and comes in 7 ratio, right hand only tho..not sure if you are lefty

All-metal one-piece premium aluminum frame
Aluminum gear-side cover
Precision 8-bearing system
Continuous Anti-Reverse™ ACS™ II adjustable centrifugal cast control
Flippin' Switch™

I agree  if same price get the Code

Dan1962

Quote from: buzzfrog on January 30, 2012, 12:57:54 PM

The Black Max , Silver Max & Pro Max all Plastic (graphite) frames

buzzfrog

all right, i am a lefty but like the right handed better, oh well, stil do any of yall know if it ok when i reel the braid up through the carrot that the guides make a light grinding noise??
Black SunShine

Diggy_

My micros make some noise from braid, some brands are louder. The 40lb pp was noisier than the suffix on my veritas but the carbon lite I have is almost silent through the micros

buzzfrog

well thats good new, glad i aint sawing my guides off lol ~fff
Black SunShine