I need opinions on an old Shimano Citica

Started by yak-aholic, February 21, 2012, 09:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yak-aholic

I have a question about a NIB, old model Citica. Not sure exactly which model it is. The guy who has it for sale didn't have it in his hand at the time. He thinks it is a 200 CSV, but not sure. The only thing he remembered for sure is that it doesn't have a light-weight drilled spool. Are there any old Citicas that you would just absolutely steer away from? Again, this is a New-In-Box reel that was picked up on clearance and has been stored since.

To me, the price is right if it is in fact a decent reel. I plan on putting it on a 6'7" All Star ASR Medium-Light, Extra-Fast "Trout" rod that I just picked up for inshore fishing.

Another reel that I really like for this rod is a Curado 50E. The thing is, I could get 3 of the Citicas for the price of one Curado.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught.

DBrooke

This section under construction.

bass1cpr

The original Citica was a two bearing reel. Not even sure if it was considered a B model. They were good for about six months then started making noise. Never could get rid of the noise stay away from those.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

yak-aholic

Thanks Bass1. I'll get more specifics as soon as I can and post up so maybe someone can confirm if this is in fact one of those first models.

JPD0144

Quote from: yak-aholic on February 21, 2012, 09:11:48 PM

He thinks it is a 200 CSV, but not sure.

I could get 3 of the Citicas for the price of one Curado.

Here are the specs for the reel you mentioned:

Citica 200 DSV MSRP: $119.00

180yds/10lb Capacity 4 stainless steel ball bearings, 1 stainless steel roller bearing. Weighs just 9.9 oz 6.2:1 Gear Ratio 1/4 Turn Turnkey Spool Access Super Free Bearing Supported Pinion Gear System HEG (High Efficiency Gearing) Dartantium Drag Super Stopper Anti Reverse plus Assist Stopper VBS (Variable Brake System) PV Power Grips Quickfire II Clutch Aluminum body, sideplate, and spool

You can get a Curado 50E for around $130-$140.00 and the Citica 200DSV for around $65-$70.00 on ebay. Good luck choosing !

yak-aholic

Actually, he said this one is not the "Super-Free" model. It's the one before that. The price is only $40 so I am tempted, but if it's a bad model I'd rather just spend the money and get something I know isn't.

Pro Reel

The one before the super free is the citica 200 B. It's a good reel, the problem is that it's not anywhere near as good as say a citica E. The 200 B has several plastic bushings instead of bearings. It can be upgraded, but by the time you spent the money, you could have bought a leftover E model.

JPD0144

Here are the Specs on the 200B:

Shimano® Citica® Baitcasting Reel

Model Hand Line Capacity Gear Ratio Wt (oz) Bearings
CI200B Right 8/200, 10/170, 14/125 5.0:1 8.5 1+1 A-RB

•Full one-piece aluminum frame keep moving parts in precise alignment for increased efficiency and durability
•Durable, lightweight aluminum spool
•Lightweight graphite sideplates
•Rubber handle grip is comfortable and soft to the touch
•Variable Brake System (VBS) uses centrifugal force rather than magnets to aid in controlling the cast for increased distance and adjustability.
•Clicking drag adjustment reduces the chance of the drag backing off at light settings while providing the angler a reference point to how much drag they add or reduce by turning the star
•Turn-key access sideplate lets you easily adjust the VBS brake weights.

yak-aholic

Pro Reel,
How much more would I have to spend on upgrading to bearings? Like I said, I'm getting it for $40 so if I spend $20-$30 on bearings, I'm still at half the price of a Curado 50E. And I really need 2 if not 3 more reels any way. No way I can afford 3 Curados.

Pro Reel

If you did it yourself, you would need 2 spool bearings to make it cast good. that would be about $6.00 to $8.00 per bearing. You would need a tool to remove the spool engagemnet pin to replace that bearing and that bearing is an odd size thats special order. If you sent them to me, you would have shipping both directions. Thats about $12 for a med flat rate box one way. Then the service would be $22.00 per reel for a super tune plus the cost of the bearings. You might also want to replace the crank bushing with a 3rd bearing to make that smoother.

yak-aholic

Quote from: Pro Reel on February 24, 2012, 07:55:41 AM
If you did it yourself, you would need 2 spool bearings to make it cast good. that would be about $6.00 to $8.00 per bearing. You would need a tool to remove the spool engagemnet pin to replace that bearing and that bearing is an odd size thats special order. If you sent them to me, you would have shipping both directions. Thats about $12 for a med flat rate box one way. Then the service would be $22.00 per reel for a super tune plus the cost of the bearings. You might also want to replace the crank bushing with a 3rd bearing to make that smoother.

Thank you sir. Maybe I'll get one Curado  E50 and one of these Citicas to send to you and have those 3 bearings swapped out.

Pferox

Man I dunno, I would buy three of the $40 reels, and have each one super tuned one at a time. This way when you are done you have three custom reels for a song.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

yak-aholic

That's not a bad idea, but I really want a curado. That little 50 is sweet and I've been putting off getting one for a while. Guess I'll just go with the citicas and get more bang for my buck.

saint romain

If you get a 50, there isn't much more bang for your buck...
You actually save money buy getting a 50, in the long run at least...as long as you keep your reel clean.
Small spool, less line...
The problem is, those 50's are so much lighter, you almost don't want to throw anything else...I'm going to try to get a few 50's (Curado) one day...Black Friday I got a Core50, and it was a mistake...I want one on all of my rods, but I'll have to get one a year, on Black Friday  :'(

yak-aholic

Quote from: saint romain on March 02, 2012, 02:48:34 PM
If you get a 50, there isn't much more bang for your buck...
You actually save money buy getting a 50, in the long run at least...as long as you keep your reel clean.
Small spool, less line...
The problem is, those 50's are so much lighter, you almost don't want to throw anything else...I'm going to try to get a few 50's (Curado) one day...Black Friday I got a Core50, and it was a mistake...I want one on all of my rods, but I'll have to get one a year, on Black Friday  :'(

Yeah, that's what I hear. Especially those Cores.