Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3/100 Best Bass lakes  (Read 1385 times)

CraigP83

3/100 Best Bass lakes
« on: April 18, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »

Looked at Bassmasters list of 100 best bass lakes and I noticed MN has 3 out of the 100.
http://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/bassmasters-best-bass-lakes

#80: Gull Lake
#11: Rainy Lake
#7: Lake Minnetonka

I was surprised to see Gull on the list and not Leech. Rainy is a no-brainer however I would have concidered Lake of the Woods (Canadian) side in the same pot. Lake Minnetonka was listed as the 7th best in the country, thats pretty amazing for a metro lake that gets so much pressure but it certainly deserves a spot on the list.

With Minnetonka coming in ranked so high I wonder if thats were the Elite Series will be stopping for the "mystery lake".

How would you guys have ranked them? are there any MN lakes that you feel got snubbed?

CraigP83

Re: 3/100 Best Bass lakes
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »

Would anybody put Mille Lacs on the list?

CraigP83

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:16:51 AM »

Vermillion?

...ok, im done talking to myself for now.   :surrender:

ydoc

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »

Vermillion?

...ok, im done talking to myself for now.   :surrender:

<lol> You gave up in less than 24-hours???  I just read the article last night, and it takes a while to visit all the forums I read!  lo

I live in Nebraska (we only had one lake on the list), but like to make it to Minnesota for our family vacations.  I've never fished any of three lakes listed, but from what I've read, I was surprised that Leech wasn't on there too (or instead of one of the others). 

I usually visit the Park Rapids area (west of Walker, MN/Leech) as Leech is too big (sadly) for my boat (usually the resort rental).  Most of the lakes on the list are BIG lakes.  I'd sure like to know some of the "best" (smaller) bass lakes in the Park Rapids/Walker/Detroit Lakes areas!!  ~cf

CraigP83

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »

Honestly I think all the lakes in that area are awesome. Boy, Woman, Iguadona...

ydoc

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 02:23:38 PM »

Thanks!  That's KIND OF LIKE the way it is around Park Rapids... I have fished that area for over 50-years, one week at a time (on our family vacations).  Little Mantrap, Spider, etc. most are good lakes. 

Some years/lakes were better than others of course.  But, not being able to "move" once we're there - due to using the resort's boat - I hate to go try an "unknown" lake and blow a week's vacation (and the associated $$$).  If you know of A (smaller-than-Leech) LAKE (with a resort) that should have been on that list, I'm all ears!!  ;D 

I'd only be visiting that lake once a year, so I'm not going to fish it out.  And yet, I know that most don't want to give up their "best lake" on a forum for the whole world to see either.  So if you have a recommendation, you could send me a PM...  ~fff

Still, I AM surprised that Leech wasn't on there!  I DVR a lot of the fishing shows to watch later.  Last November (show airing), Roland Martin had a show, fishing for bass, on Leech!  They were frog-fishing the wild rice... and he caught some NICE bass!  At the end of that episode, he had kind of a "P.S." segment.  After the regular taping, he caught a 7lb.+ bass!!!  I've been wantin' to go there (Leech) ever since... but I'm going to have to get a BIGGER boat!  <lol>

Dirty Dan

• Smallmouth
  • Lip Cancer Incubator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »

I remember that episode. I always thought of Leech as a walleye/crappie/muskie lake but after seeing that and doing some research I really wanna get out there and hit the rice. Unfortunately, I'm also confined to small waters. All my favorite lakes are far from the national spotlight and I'm ok with that lol
If I had a dollar for every fish of a lifetime I've lost by inches... I could buy a case of beer and get over all of them.

CraigP83

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 08:56:02 AM »

Leech definately worth trying. Stick to Boy Bay and even a smaller boat will be fine as long as its not too windy.

That being said Pine City area has some great fishing too. Pokegama is good, and Knife too. I learned to bass fish on some of the smaller lakes up there. In fact I think im heading that way this weekend  ~sun

ydoc

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:50:13 AM »

Leech definately worth trying. Stick to Boy Bay and even a smaller boat will be fine as long as its not too windy.

That being said Pine City area has some great fishing too. Pokegama is good, and Knife too. I learned to bass fish on some of the smaller lakes up there. In fact I think im heading that way this weekend  ~sun

I guess it depends on what you call a "smaller" boat...  :-\  "MY" boat is a small 14' open fiberglass with an 18hp motor.  It's fine for most "smaller" lakes... but LEECH (even Boy Bay)???  I'm guessing your reference to a "smaller" boat was something in the 16' range with 30-40hp motor???

Dirty Dan

• Smallmouth
  • Lip Cancer Incubator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 03:22:57 PM »

Haha I hear ya! plenty of hidden and not-so-hidden gems around here. I love Poke and the Snake. I live about a mile from the landing on Cross but it's been kind of a tricky lake the past couple years. Good luck this weekend!
If I had a dollar for every fish of a lifetime I've lost by inches... I could buy a case of beer and get over all of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 25 queries.