Viking Lake 5/11/12

Started by sctamadrummer, May 14, 2012, 10:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sctamadrummer

A friend and I went out to Viking Lake near Stanton, IA on Friday. We weren't able to get out until later (9:30) because we had to wait for his kid to get on the school bus.

We launched and just started fishing. Tons of grass all over the lake and we were having a ball throwing frogs. I switched to a jig for a while and caught some on the edges of the grass. Caught some on a crankbait fishing rock piles. Caught some on a drop shot. Just had fun and caught a bunch of fish. Check out the "Catch of the Day" forum for a picture of my biggest one of the day!  ~gf

The best catch of the day was about a 12" bass that I caught on a Spro popping frog. When I went to take the frog out of its mouth, the frog had claws! There was about a 4" crawfish sticking out of the fish's mouth! The craw was still alive too! I took some pliers and got it out, took a picture, and set it free! That was one of the craziest things I have ever seen in all my days of fishing!!

Mike

ydoc

Thanks for your post!  I live in Omaha, but haven't fished Viking (or Prairie Rose, or any of the lakes in that area) for YEARS!  I might just have to head out there sometime soon!   ~gf

sctamadrummer

Prairie Rose is in the process of renovation right now, but should be great in a couple years. Iowa lakes are getting really good with the renovations being done by the DNR so come on over  lo

Mike