Show off your rig!

Started by TheLastRodBender, May 21, 2012, 04:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basss

Got it cleaned up.

This is how I wanted it when I first bought it.  A basic fishing rig with just the essentials; lights, bilge, and fish finder. The grab bar, front cap, and cushion were also part of how I wanted mine to look and have a great deal to do with function.

So here she is cleaned up ...
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Lipripper

Quote from: basss on August 31, 2018, 08:25:19 PM
Got it cleaned up.

This is how I wanted it when I first bought it.  A basic fishing rig with just the essentials; lights, bilge, and fish finder. The grab bar, front cap, and cushion were also part of how I wanted mine to look and have a great deal to do with function.

So here she is cleaned up ...
Looks good all cleaned up. Now go catch some fish.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

basss

Took it out for a test run after putting the sonar on and I did catch one.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider

Lipripper

Quote from: basss on September 03, 2018, 01:30:08 PM
Took t out for a test run after putting the sonar on and I did catch one.
Good for you and that looks like a nice spot to catch some fish.

basss

Quote from: Lipripper on September 03, 2018, 01:34:24 PM
Good for you and that looks like a nice spot to catch some fish.

A guy rode by in a jet ski while I was fishing there and he said he pulled an 8 liber. out of there.  I tried for about 30 min. then moved on. I will be back though.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: basss on September 03, 2018, 01:30:08 PM
Took it out for a test run after putting the sonar on and I did catch one.

Cool!! Now its broken in. Nice fish.  :)

Lipripper

Quote from: basss on September 03, 2018, 01:41:01 PM

A guy rode by in a jet ski while I was fishing there and he said he pulled an 8 liber. out of there.  I tried for about 30 min. then moved on. I will be back though.
You believe a guy on a Jet ski.  lo lo An 8 lber would be nice to hook into.

SteelHorseCowboy

Late to the game and already posted a pic in the BS'n thread.
Magellan Origin 12, bare bones, haven't started any mods yet. Allegedly it's originally a retired Wilderness Systems designe sold under Perception and now licensed to Academy, so should be a good one.
Did pick up some scupper plugs and an actual kayak paddle. The little wooden one works fine, but I discovered yesterday that there's a reason kayak paddles are double ended.
Left, left, left... right, right, right is just fine in a canoe or jon boat, but turns into a serpentine in a more responsive kayak.
A fish finder would be nice some day, and I could use a bit more padding under me arse.

Anyone ever try standing in a 28" beam kayak? I talked my son into trying yesterday and he got a little wet.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Lipripper

That looks nice SHC and should get you off the bank and out there where them fish are at.  ~c~ ~c~ Just don't stand up in it. lo lo Take your time and fix it up as you go along.Now get some fish slim on it.  ;D

SteelHorseCowboy

Outriggers!
May have to figure that out!
I really don't want to "slap together" anything, you've seen how that's worked out for me in the past!
I may do some drawing and brain storming and see if I can dream up some sort of quick attach/collapsible PVC outrigger system.
Anything that stays on is going to get in the way or create drag, so I'd need something I can slap together in a few seconds and clamp on, then pop off, take apart, and drop it between my legs.

BrandonK

Made outriggers for my Perception Pescador Pro 120. It was more work and hassle than it was worth. Then I found a kayak that I can stand and fish in all day and never looked back

SteelHorseCowboy

Yeah, I was leaning towards one of those. But this one felt better built and was $200 cheaper than the one I was looking at. Really I should say the other was $200 nicer! Price was a factor, but I can get better padding to sit on and get used to sitting down to fish.

TheLastRodBender

the ingenuity and engineering that people come up with never ceases to amaze me.  Some of the things you all put together on your boats should be on display lol.   

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: TheLastRodBender on October 09, 2018, 07:45:47 AM
the ingenuity and engineering that people come up with never ceases to amaze me.  Some of the things you all put together on your boats should be on display lol.
I personally don't intend to do much with mine. Being one of the skinniest out there at only 28", I figure the less top heavy the better.
Now, if I lose some weight myself, that may open up some options!

The biggest thing I'm considering is a fish finder.

Yesterday I picked up a "taco style" paddle holder and some extra bungee cord. The paddle holder that's on my yak consists of a bungee loop that comes over the paddle and fixes to a hook. Problem is, that plastic hook is in a perfect place to dig into my fat azz. So I'll be removing that and attaching the new paddle holder to take it's place slightly further to the rear.

The extra bungee cord is to help secure my rods. My rod holders are kind of wide and shallow. I haven't worried about losing them, but they wobble around quite a bit and I worry I may end up with one in my way during a cast.

BrandonK

Quote from: BrandonK on April 21, 2018, 11:53:57 AM
Yessir, open floorplan! Not as fast as the last rig, but that's a trade off I'm ok with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok I was wrong. Haha. The Commander 120 should be sold tomorrow. Going back to a more traditional sit on top kayak, albeit one with a faster and less stable hull that what is popular right now. I have found, surprisingly, that I really do not stand when fishing in a kayak. Hardly ever. I prefer to keep a very low profile and not ever give the the fish a chance to see me, as opposed to trying to sight fish but potentially letting them see me first

BrandonK

Picked up a 2015 Native Slayer 12 for a good price. Added flush rod holders today. Tomorrow I'm adding an anchor wizard to the bow, the Lowrance, a net holder, paddle holders, tackle storage, and a couple other DIY items to make my life easier on the water. I'm super pumped about this boat. And it's the color i have wanted for awhile, Copperhead

Lipripper

Quote from: BrandonK on February 01, 2019, 04:16:07 PM
Picked up a 2015 Native Slayer 12 for a good price. Added flush rod holders today. Tomorrow I'm adding an anchor wizard to the bow, the Lowrance, a net holder, paddle holders, tackle storage, and a couple other DIY items to make my life easier on the water. I'm super pumped about this boat. And it's the color i have wanted for awhile, Copperhead

Looks good and hope you catch lots of nice fish from her.  8)

SteveTX

Quote from: BrandonK on January 28, 2019, 04:40:14 PM
I prefer to keep a very low profile and not ever give the the fish a chance to see me, as opposed to trying to sight fish but potentially letting them see me first
Ill never catch another fish if that is the case. I'm standing 6ft tall on a deck of a 18' boat all day and twice on Sunday if my job allows it. That isn't counting the times I take my friends and we both stand up on deck and fish.  ;) lo

I like the look of the Copperhead yak. I'm no yak guy but that color beats the heck out of lime green and hot pink ones Ive seen.  ~roflmao

Donald Garner

Congrats on the New Yak there  ~c~  I like that color scheme also.

I've never been in a Yak and don't think I'd feel very comfortable in it.  I need to stand up and fish.  Being 270lbs and not very nimble etc I'm afraid I'd have an issue trying to fish out of one.  I see guys down here do it all the time though.  Most of them don't weight 270lbs either.

I'll stick to my 14ft G3 Alwed Jon Boat and my 18.5 ft. Stratos 285 Pro XL bass boat  ;)
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

BrandonK

I should be able to stand on this one and fish if I want, I just don't find myself doing it much, except during the spawn. Water here is usually 6"-18" visibility, so we cant sight fish often

BrandonK

I gotta get on the water. ASAP

the_huber_show

Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

BarryFL

Nice yak but I see gators that big almost every trip. No thanks,  although there are a lot of yaks in FL.

~Barry~

~Barry~

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: Donald Garner on February 01, 2019, 08:31:28 PM
Congrats on the New Yak there  ~c~  I like that color scheme also.

I've never been in a Yak and don't think I'd feel very comfortable in it.  I need to stand up and fish.  Being 270lbs and not very nimble etc I'm afraid I'd have an issue trying to fish out of one.  I see guys down here do it all the time though.  Most of them don't weight 270lbs either.

I'll stick to my 14ft G3 Alwed Jon Boat and my 18.5 ft. Stratos 285 Pro XL bass boat  ;)
I'm 270 and 6' tall. Between me and my gear, we're pushing the weight limit of my yak to the absolute max.
As for nimble... once I get in, all I need is to be able to move my legs around a bit. Turning around to get to my gear on the back deck is sometimes a challenge, but even with my bum shoulder I can do it.
See if you can rent one somewhere and try it out.
Quote from: TR21FL on February 04, 2019, 04:47:39 PM
Nice yak but I see gators that big almost every trip. No thanks,  although there are a lot of yaks in FL.

~Barry~
I paddle around gators. It's been my experience that they seem more likely to mess with you while you're on the bank. Closest encounter I've had with one while on the water was a little 4 footer that just got a bit too close out of curiousity I believe. Skeert the chit out of me. It was chillin right under my elbow.

BrandonK

I've never seen one here while I've been out and I'm thankful for that. If I make a short trek to the coast I'm much more likely to make those encounters