What line do ya'll use?

Started by bassadict69, July 06, 2004, 04:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass1cpr

As some of you may know last year Pure Fishing bought STREN for 40 Million, That's 8 million a letter. Because that's basicly what they bought was the name. They didn't by any of the back stock. Pure Fishing then moved evrything to Spirit lake Iowa home of pure fishing (Berkley). Pure fishing now owns about 72% of the line market. Another fact about Stren is that they subed out their line manufacturing to about five different subcontractors based on who was the cheapest at the time. Guess that's why sometimes you got bad batches of line now and then or the color varied a little. I learned this from our stren distributor when the buyout was happening. Pure Fishing didn't keep the reps or rep groups that were formerly Stren distributors. It cost a lot of good folks jobs. Just a little info I thought you might like to know.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Mike Cork

Very interesting thanks for sharing. I have always been a trilene man until Excell came along, but I can't help but think that Excell isn't made by trilene, but sounds like it all might be made by berkley anyway ;)

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cmegee

I usually use the P-Line flouro carbon and xxx line
but a friend gave me some IZOR line that I have fallen in love with. Awsomely smooth and really tough, and that's fishing in some really nasty laydowns and cypress knee areas. Only problem is I can't find it locally, I guess I'll have to order it online or somewhere.

greenkeeperlt

I have used a lot of lines and have experienced all of the above problems, so I have gone back to the dance with who brung me. On my baitcasters I use 14 lb original Trilene. It doesnt have any special bells or whistles but it works well and is relatively inexpensive. On my spinning reals I have been using 14 lb fireline but the coating does wear off then it starts to frey. I like the sensitivity for finese jigging but I am going to try a light mono this year on the spinners. Does anyone have any feedback on berkley Transition?

Mike Noble

greenkeeperIt....here is a link to a thread about the Berkley Transition.

http://ultimatebass.com/lbf/index.php/topic,1911.0.html
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

greenkeeperlt

Hey Mike thanx for the thread that was great info. I don't like the thing about nesting but since I'm putting it on a spinner I'm going to pick some up and go with it. Thanx again!

bulldog

Use 12lb 20lb & lb 25 Big Game green on my worm(12), spinnerbait(20), and flipping rods(25). Using 8lb p-line on my crankin' rod.  Use 6lb McCoy mean green on my spinning rods.  can't decide what braid I want to use to replace the 25lb big game on my flipping rod. I saw triple fish has one out but haven't seen it or heard about the braid before. Looking at several brands. Can't commit :(
Bulldog                                          Member
                                                    B.A.S.S.

bassguy2004

On my flippin', carolina, and pitchin' rods I'm using Spiderwire stelth, and for worm, spinnerbait, crankbait rods, 15# Stren High Impact mono. Last but not least drop shot, 12# Stren florocarbon.
I fish, therefore I am.

Ron Fogelson

I still have to rods with Stren Low-Vis Green but the rest all are spooled with 17lbs fluorocarbon.  I will respool my jig rods with braid this year, & I'm getting rid or the low-vis & going to try some suffix, but all the rest are staying Stren fluorocarbon

Mailman

Berkley Trilene Big Game 12lb in the green has been my choice for years it is just a good all around line and the price is very fair