What line do ya'll use?

Started by bassadict69, July 06, 2004, 04:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassadict69

Just wondering what line everyone here uses and what you like about it that makes you prefer it over other lines.

I haven't settled on one particular line yet...seems all of them I try has too many downsides!

Chris

I am just starting to use Bass Pro Shops line. I have used P-Line -which by the way is extremely strong line but holds too much memory.I had to use a can of reel magic every time I went fishing .... Stren Magnaflex-absolutely sucks -I dont care what Iaconelli says!I have broke off with this line more in one year than all other lines combined in my whole life. Berkley Big Game - still good for the price. I use 17 pound test for the most part on ll my reels . I do have a couple of poles with ten pound test for when I down size lures.

Mike Noble

I use to only use Stren but I tried the XPS fluorocarbon a couple of years ago and that is all I use now.  I really like it.
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

bassadict69

The P-line is what I ama using now but I do not like it. It does have a lot of memory and seems to get kinks in it if you bend the line over. I have also had trouble with the line getting real curly or loopy after tying my knot.

BIG PAPA

I used p-line premium for years, all other p-line is to stiff. I was pretty satisfied with it until I tried Bagley AN 40, Great line . I also still use Big game on my spinnerbait rod and carolina rod.

papa 8)

Jared LeBlue

I use p-line, yes it has a lot of memory but it is some strong stuff.
Ardent Prostaff

dave the dope man

I only use Iron-Silk, abrasion resistant, smooth, no and I mean zero memory NOT. that is the worst stuff I have ever looked at or was suckered into buying, the Bass Professor Doug Hannon is due a butt kicking from me when I see him, bet ya! I'm still a die-hard stren man, however since Trilene (Berkley) had bought stern I don't know what will happen next. As far as flourocarbon, Berkley Vanish is my choice.....there I said it,,,,,feel like I'm in a 12 step program.............Dave

Siggy by DundeeMike

Gabby

I really like Berkley Big Game.  I have tried the P-Line, and it is stong as hell - just too curly.  The memory is too much, as I feel like I had to change it every week.

I also use 80# Spiderwire when I flip tubes & jigs into brush in the spring time.

I'm a Big Game man, even though my fish ain't too big yet.

Mike Noble

I wish my memory was as good as some of the fishing lines out there ;D

Dave...wait until your arm totally heals before you move forward with that butt-whipping.
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

SenkoSam

Iron-Silk for spinning and spincast, but only 12 lbs or over used with a braid leader (Berkley Stealth or 30lb test TUF). Braid has the least torque of any line, no memory, no stretch.

For casting, straight braid with a cheap mono backing.
Fireline is not bad, but seems less abrasion resistant as it loses it's coating.

Sam

fish_cobra

I use P-Line Flouraclear.(spelling?) I don't know if this is what everyone is talking about but I have no problem with memory and I fish alot with weightless flukes and senkos. It's alot stronger than big game which I used before the P-Line. 15lb on my crankin' rod and 20 on every thing else except my spinning rig which has 8lb for drop-shot fishing.

Siggy by DundeeMike
RIP SOME LIPS!

Marty

In mono, I use Original Stren Green, either 17 lb or 14 lb depending on application.  For braid, I use 50 or 65 lb Power Pro. 

Marty

Mike V

I use the original stren lo-vis green line. I stick with 14lb test line most of the time. I will go up to 17lb for flipping heavy cover, very seldom do I break one off. 8)

Mike Cork

I have played with several lines in different strengths and colors. Here in northern Louisiana I use Excel 17 pound green for 90 percent of my fishing. It has little memory and the color fits the visibility issues. It casts great and it is not to heavy to still use backing and have plenty of line on the reel. Tough? I have never had a problem with it and even have had to tie it off to a cleat to break off a hung up bait......

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bass1cpr

Fish Cobra most of the people are talking about P-Line Cxxx it does have memory but is super tough. The flouroclear that you are using doesn't have the memory of cxxx. It's still good line and it is also a smaller dia. than cxxx I use it on a couple of my rods when we go to rally clear water lakes,ie. Tablerock
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

MotherNature

Quote from: fish_cobra on July 07, 2004, 08:11:45 AM
I got little fishies... I got little fishies!

Well let me just say welcome back! I wondered if you would show up around here again. I hope you are doing well!

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

Gabby

I use Berkley Big Game, 15# test, green.

With my jig/tube reel, I have some 80# Spiderwire or Power Pro.

MotherNature

I have 17 lb. Excell green on almost everything that I use right now and it seems to work great. There are times when I miss fishing deep clear California lakes and being able to use a lighter line with some things like topwater. Just seemed to have better action than the heavier Excell...

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

OHbassaholic

I've been hooked on Stren Magnaflex for the last 2 years.  I use it 90% of the time.  It is the most abrasion resistant mono I have found for use around rocks.

I like Stren SuperBraid on my flippin stick but it can take extra time to free when you get hung up.  Strongest stuff I've ever used.

For Lake Erie, it is a toss up between Stren Fluorocarbon and P-line Fluoroclear.  Both have provided the same results but the P-line costs less.

Ron Fogelson

I was using Stren Low-Vis Green from 15 to 20lbs for everything but now got 3 reels spooled with 17lbs and the rest have Stren Fluorocarbon also in 17lbs.  Heavy enough for most everything yet limp enough to cast well even with lite lures.

Tritonrob

At one time I use to use only only Silver Thread I loved that line.  Then up to last year I only used Bass Pro Excel line.  Lat year a good freind let me try some McCoy's Mean Green and I liked that line also.  So this year I'll probably split between Excel and Mccoy's.

Chip

bassadict69

I just bought a spool of 20 XPS Flourocarbon line to try. I plan on putting it on my jig, worm & carolina rods. I wrapped it all around my finger & it had NO memory. We'll see how it holds up!

Jitterbug

bassadict69, I've never tried XPS Flourocarbon line but my experience with the stuff (some of the others) is that after you have fished it hard for about a month it wants to cork screw on you something fierce and it gets awful expensive

bassadict69

It is definately expensive...About $14 for a 175 yard spool.