Fly Tying This Time!

Started by bigjim5589, January 28, 2020, 09:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjim5589

Well, not bass flies, but some of them could be used for bass. This is a variety, for Steelhead, and for the flats of Belize, and the Texas Gulf coast.

The first flies are tied on size 10 hooks. I was sent a photo, and no description of the materials so have to improvise. It's a Steelhead pattern, but would work for other fish.

The next photo's are for Belize, and targeting Bonefish, Permit, and Tarpon.

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

bigjim5589

More flies for Belize, and some for the Texas coast and Redfish or Seatrout.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Jacobguy

They look awesome! Keep up the good work!

Edit: you posted more pictures as I responded, my apologies if I interrupted!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

bigjim5589

Last ones, and these are for Texas.

bigjim5589

Thanks Jacobguy! No harm done!  :)

Oldfart9999

The steel head flies would be popular here, steelies should be running if not done and rainbows will be on soon.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

bigjim5589

Thanks Rodney! I have a young friend who lives up your way, and fly fishes. He also uses other tackle and has been catching some nice size Steelhead. I made his acquaintance in a fly fishing forum, when he asked me about flies for Smallmouths. He had only been fly fishing a short while, and had not caught any SM's of any size on fly gear, even though he said he knew they were there, as he had caught them on lures. I took care of him!  ;)

The flies in that photo have been sent to a fellow in California. I'm not sure he'll be using them for Steelhead, but they're what he wanted. He's another acquaintance from a fly fishing forum and also has not been at it for very long. He sent me a photo of the fly and I had to figure out how to tie it. I'm not sure I got it all "correct", but close enough!  lo

I try to help anyone as best I can! :)

bigjim5589

More flies, part of the same group that I posted previously. These are also for Redfish & Seatrout along the Texas coast.

bigjim5589

bigjim5589

bigjim5589

Lipripper

Some more nice looking jigs Jim.  8)

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

hog head

The red and wight betele I know is used at pyramid lake. What do you charge for flies? I have been fly fishing for 2 years now and am always looking for a good source of flies. I just got some articulated flies in shad and rainbow trout I will be throwing for bass and stripers soon. I also fly fish for spotted bass in the local river.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lipripper

Quote from: hog head on March 04, 2020, 06:03:24 AM
The red and wight betele I know is used at pyramid lake. What do you charge for flies? I have been fly fishing for 2 years now and am always looking for a good source of flies. I just got some articulated flies in shad and rainbow trout I will be throwing for bass and stripers soon. I also fly fish for spotted bass in the local river.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Send Jim a PM and he will fix you right up. He also does other baits also.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Polaris425

those look great!! My skills aren't up to that level yet... I'll have to post a few pics of the ones I've finished.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

bigjim5589

Quote from: Polaris425 on March 04, 2020, 07:24:45 AM
those look great!! My skills aren't up to that level yet... I'll have to post a few pics of the ones I've finished.

Thank you! Please post them! I always enjoy seeing what others are tying.  :)

I'm on several Facebook groups now ans a couple of forums for fly fishing & tying. There's folks of various skill levels with both. We all start as beginners, and hopefully improve and advance the proficiency.

One of the best ways to improve is getting advice, suggestions & critique from more advanced tyers.

I now have a couple of new friends that have started tying. One fellow is in CA and ties his own bucktail jigs. He's fishing in the San Francisco area for Stripers primarily.  The other is in OK, and ties a variety of flies for trout & bass. They've both asked me a lot of questions and have sent photo's of what they're tying. They've both made a lot of progress in a short time, and all I've done is offer suggestions.

I've been tying a long time, but am always trying to learn something new too.  ;)

FishinBuck07

Very nice looking flies!  I have so many tied up I pretty much took the winter off this year from tying.  I did tie up some small clousers to try on Crappie when they start feeding good.

bigjim5589

Quote from: FishinBuck07 on March 12, 2020, 12:44:27 PM
Very nice looking flies!  I have so many tied up I pretty much took the winter off this year from tying.  I did tie up some small clousers to try on Crappie when they start feeding good.

Thank you! I'm the same way, I have plenty of flies, jigs and other lures that I make so i always have them to fish with. Still, I keep making them because I enjoy doing it.

That's what this forum is all about. Please post some of yours, especially if you have bass flies that might be different than most might use.  :-*