Catching them, then switch?

Started by FlatsNBay, March 19, 2024, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

We all switch baits and techniques when we are not catching them. How many of you will switch your bait when you are really catching them good? Why or why not will you do that?

I'm guilty! After I start catching them really good for a while, I start experimenting. It might be a color change or a size change but many times I switch to a totally different technique. To me, it's fun experimenting. I learned a lot over the years by doing so and have developed a ton of confidence on a new or different technique. Sure, I fall flat on my face at times but more often than not when I start experimenting, I get dialed in to the bite even more. It's a fun way to learn and improve.

How about you? Are you crazy enough to switch baits when the fish are biting?

topdsm0138

Me, If I get a good hit and miss it once (twice if there's 2 fish in the same area), I'll switch it up just to throw them off guard. IE: They missed the swim jig twice, throw a spinnerbait or chatterbait real quick.

Tiller Mafia.

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

J.W.

I'll usually keep that one tied on, but might switch another rod to something similar but still slightly different in order to experiment and see exactly what they're keying in on.

Donald Garner

I've done this a couple times(Switched baits while catching them) during the Spring and early Summer.  There was one trip over to Nolan Lake on Ft. Hood where it was a Soft Plastic Day bite.  I'd been fishing a cove on the South side of the lake with Culprit Ribbon Tail worms.  I usually start out fishing a Red Shad Color and had done really well that morning. 

As I moved down the bank I switched colors (3) different times and did well at catching the bass on each color I had switched to.  Needless to say it was a rare very successful outing.

On a trip to Stillhouse Lake (Lampasas River Area) I was fishing a flat with a Bleeding Shad Colorado Bladed Spinner Blade.  There were some reed stalks all along the bank line and the fish were chasing bait fish up into the reeds.  I was doing well on the spinnerbait and decided to switch to a Soft Plastic Swimbait Texas Rigged. 

Making a cast up into the reed stalks and swimming the bait out and in front of the stalks the bass were hammering the bait.  Once again this was a rare trip and it was a fun day of being out on the water. 

This has only happened a couple of times that I remember.  I do like everyone else have follow up baits rigged up when I miss a strike etc. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

It's how you learn, how you find out if there is a better option for more fish. It's also how you find what will get you larger fish. You may be catching a boatload of fish but they may not be more than average size. A different option, color or bait size, even a different bait, may get you fewer fish but fish of a larger size.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

big g

When using plastics I am reluctant to leave a productive bait.  If I have confidence in a bait that has started to produce numbers, I will stay with it for a long time until the rate slows.  More often instead of changing baits, or color,  I will change the cadence to see if it has any change on their interest in the bait.  I may go from dead sticking, to hops and falls, slow drags, quick jerks, and finally swimming the bait.  Overcast sky's I may switch to a darker color like Junebug, dark blue. or black.  Then clear and sunny days watermelon red, watermelon anything, cotton candy, or a shad color.  I'm not leaving a hot bait to experiment until the hottie slows.  I experiment when things are slow and I'm searching for excitement. :-* 
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

My approach is similar to George's. If I'm on a hot bite or consistent bite, I won't deviate from what is working. Unless the conditions change. 

SFL BassHunter

Howdy!

I am pretty good about staying with what is working for me. Until I run out of that color, or bait. Or if my fish are significantly smaller than those being caught by whoever's boat I am fishing on lol.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SenkoSam

Quote from: FlatsNBay link=msg=1766677 date=1710in9665I,'m guilty! After I start catching them really good for a while, I start experimenting. It might be a color change or a size change but many times I switch to a totally different technique. To me, it's fun experimenting. I learned a lot over the years by doing so and have developed a ton of confidence on a new or different technique. Sure, I fall flat on my face at times but more often than not when I start experimenting, I get dialed in to the bite even more. It's a fun way to learn and improve.

How about you? Are you crazy enough to switch baits when the fish are biting?

Same here!
The lures I cast I have confidence in, so if I change, it's only because in my mind lure variety is the spice of fishing. I make most of my own lures - especially soft plastics - and either use molds or combine parts of different lures melting the ends with a candle. I have a catalog of shapes I know catch most species and using the presentations that work best.

If targeting bass, I cast lures too large for pannies but still trigger LM or SM strikes. Small lures do catch big fish, but in general chances are that bass are more apt at times to attack 1/2 oz skirted jigs or spinnerbaits with trailers, large surface lures like the Spook or deep dive crankbaits.

IMO lures are the ultimate fish finders and more so than sonar. Once I've caught fish, I note what kind of structure and presentation(s). Then it's just a matter of sticking with what works until a change in structure and depth dictate changes in lures and presentations.

Fish are bullies and much of the time ready to take down trespassers inside their circle. I count on it and irritate fish as much as possible whatever way I can which means slower presentations are usually better to get under their scales.