abu advice

Started by duckdummy, August 12, 2006, 01:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckdummy

still having trouble with backlashes on my abu 5500c3. i got rid of the fireline, and put on 20# power pro. I'm not sure the brakes are working properly. i can cast a jointed jitterbug, senkos, dingers, (lead free), usually with no problem. i cast a seismic toad and i get a nest. that toad can't be to light for my setup, if i can cast senko's? I'm sure I'm setting the brakes properly, for each bait, the change to power pro did help somewhat, i haven't had a hard time untangling a nest. i really like the round reels, Vs. the low profile ones, and i want to stick with what i got, i just wonder if i got a "lemon" reel. i don't have an external magnet adjustment on this one, just for the brakes. I'd like to think i know what I'm doing, would a better reel help? or is it just me?

shaggycat

The magnetic adjustment to which you refer are just another type of brake. A reel will either have centrifugal brakes, like yours, or magnetic brakes, like on daiwas.

I personally think larger diameter line could help. 20 lb power pro only has the diameter of 6 lb test, which is pretty darn skinny. Also, I don't know how full you have filled your spool, but taking some line out could help as well.

You should set the spool tension so that if you allow the lure to fall freely to the ground, when it hits the ground you don't get a backlash without thumbing the spool. If that works, you can always loosen it up a bit, but that should take care of it. I would also start with all the brakes on. You can always turn some off and loosen the spool tension but it is a lot easier to start too conservatively and figure out how far you can go than it is to leave everything off and birdnest as you work backwards.

Finally, senkos actually aren't light, they are about .4 ounces. They aren't really like most other soft plastics as far as casting goes. Plus, their shape lends itself to better casting as well.

Someone may have already pointed you to these articles in the past, but here they are anyway:

http://www.ultimatebass.com/content/view/173/45/

http://www.ultimatebass.com/content/view/196/45/

Hope this helps and good luck!

bassindude

As far as I know there are no adjustable brakes on a 5500c3, only the tension knob.  follow Shaggy's advise on letting the lure hit the ground without backlashing, but that will probably be a little tight. Loosen it up a hair at a time.  If you are used to a reel with adjustable brakes an ABU will probably take some getting used to.  It is possible that one of the brakes is stuck but not very likely.  Once you get used to an ABU you wont want anything else, and they'll last forever.  I have several in their 20's and a couple in their 30's.
I have a few new new ones also and they're still as good a quality as they have always been.
Jim ><///'>><///'>

shaggycat

I am pretty sure the 5500 C3 has 6-pin centrifugal brakes, but I could be wrong. I am sure you have more experience with them than I.

bassindude

I stand corrected Shaggy.  I was looking at the BPS catalogue and noticed they have started putting the 6pin system in the 5500C3's THe old 5500's dont have them, but I'm not sure when they started this.   :-\
Jim ><///'>><///'>