What do you guys think?

Started by squirrel73, September 02, 2020, 05:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirrel73

This is my first attempt at a crankbait. Nothing is nature is perfect.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Bassinkorea

Looking all good and correct so far. I assume a shallow runner / square bill design?
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

squirrel73

Yes sir. That's what I'm shooting for. Got bored today and figured what the heck. Lol.

Bassinkorea

I'm following along to see how it turns out once completed, and how many bass you can catch with it  ~gf
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Smallie_Stalker

That looks as good as any of the pre-cut blanks I've ever seen being sold by companies like Lure Parts Online.

Great work!

Posted Using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

bigjim5589

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

squirrel73

Thank you guys. I didn't think it looked too bad for a first time job myself. I'll perfect it as I go along and I'll learn no doubt. That means a lot to hear from you guys though. Once again thanks and I will keep updates in this thread.

squirrel73

Ment to mention that this is cherry wood. From a set of chairs that my brother was going to toss. I saved them all and cut them down to what I could use. I have plenty of stock for several others. These chairs were over 50 years old I know.

Mike Cork

Looks good  ~c~

Threads like this will get more attention in the Tackle Making Board

Tackle Box

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

squirrel73

Could you move it for me Mike? I'm sorry I still get lost with all the threads lol. I'm getting better though. Lol but if you could move it I'd be grateful. ~RC~

squirrel73

Too much or look ok? I will use the dremel next to carve it out.

Polaris425

be careful removing material like that from the sides, if you don't do it symmetrically and equal on both sides it could cause it to swim funny, or roll.

If you want detail like that I would do it w/ paint. Just my 2 cents though...

One of the lipless I made, I sanded divets in the sides and didn't get them the same, and it always wanted to roll to the side that didn't catch as much water. I had to sand more until the divets were catching the same amount of water. Sounds crazy I know but, it made a difference.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

squirrel73

Yeah I'll float that it before painting and get them as equal as possible. Definitely dont want it to roll unless there is a bass on the end of it lol lol

bigjim5589

Quote from: Polaris425 on September 03, 2020, 09:01:49 AM
be careful removing material like that from the sides, if you don't do it symmetrically and equal on both sides it could cause it to swim funny, or roll.

If you want detail like that I would do it w/ paint. Just my 2 cents though...

One of the lipless I made, I sanded divets in the sides and didn't get them the same, and it always wanted to roll to the side that didn't catch as much water. I had to sand more until the divets were catching the same amount of water. Sounds crazy I know but, it made a difference.

I made a balsa wood crankbait one time when I was a kid, and didn't get it symmetrical. It seemed to swim OK, but it always moved sideways. The lip broke off and I never tried making another.

It's a lot less critical on surface lures. I'm made hundreds of fly rod poppers and try to get them as  symmetrical as I can. However, I have seen some that were really out of wack, with the hooks off to one side. They still caught fish, but leaned a little to one side.  lo

I agree with Polaris425,  detail is much easier to accomplish with paint, and won't affect how the lure acts unless you get crazy with the paint. And, if you do mess it up, you can clean off the paint & start over.  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Polaris425

You may also need to weight it with BB's. Testing will tell you that. I had to drill some holes in the belly near the front hook of some of mine and put some 1/16th oz lead pinch weights in them to get them to float upright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

squirrel73

Yeah I am going to add some lead before I paint. I'd like to get me a good used lead melting pot sometime. One of those electronic ones. Would be good to have if I can find one used.

Oldfart9999

They remind me of a couple of the old Poes baits.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

bigjim5589

Quote from: squirrel73 on September 03, 2020, 12:18:24 PM
Yeah I am going to add some lead before I paint. I'd like to get me a good used lead melting pot sometime. One of those electronic ones. Would be good to have if I can find one used.

They show up on ebay sometimes. I have both a Lee bottom pour and a Hot Pot II electric ladle. The electric ladle might be the best way to go, as it will allow you to do more with it if you decide to get into other types of lure making. The bottom pour I have will hold 20 pounds of lead, but it's not the best for pouring anything larger than about 2 -3 ounces, as it pours too slow. I pour up to 20 ounce trolling jigs with the Hot Pot, even though it only holds 4 pounds of lead. I pour jigs as small as 1/100 ounce with them both. The Hot Pots are also often less in price used, and easier to repair when needed.

squirrel73

I'm going to research both. I like the melting pot but can see the advantages of the other as well. I will mostly just be making crankbaits I think. This is my first time doing anything like this so that could change lol.