Spinnerbait wire alternative

Started by Johntom2k, November 10, 2021, 10:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johntom2k

I been looking at wire online and the S+H is killer! Are there any other wire I can get at Lowes or Hobby Lobby that can be as good? I saw some stiff wire at Hobby Lobby but it was aluminum. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A bad day of fishing is a better day at work.

bigjim5589

Is there a welding supply near you? Maybe a roll of stainless mig welding wire might work for you.  You'll pay more for it, but probably less per foot.

Or look online at places that cater to commercial or industrial businesses, such as Zoro, McMaster-Carr or Graingers.  Those are places I've bought from and always check when looking for products such as wire which are not always tackle specific.

I try to buy wire in bulk too because those small 30' packs can get expensive, and the shipping costs now are making that worse.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Johntom2k

Quote from: bigjim5589 on November 10, 2021, 10:34:40 AM
Is there a welding supply near you? Maybe a roll of stainless mig welding wire might work for you.  You'll pay more for it, but probably less per foot.

Or look online at places that cater to commercial or industrial businesses, such as Zoro, McMaster-Carr or Graingers.  Those are places I've bought from and always check when looking for products such as wire which are not always tackle specific.

I try to buy wire in bulk too because those small 30' packs can get expensive, and the shipping costs now are making that worse.
I will check them out. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A bad day of fishing is a better day at work.

Oldfart9999

Most stainless mig or filler wire is too soft. Since I had access to it free I tried it in different sizes, it bends far too easily.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

big g

Years ago there used to be a spinnerbait with unusual action.  Instead of using wire, they used a stiff spring.  I could only find it at the tackle shops around Lake Okeechobee.  Worked quite well in the thick weeds of the lake.  Extra action on the blades.  I have not seen one in many years.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

bigjim5589

I haven't used mig wire, but some folks claim they do. I've used stainless & tinned music wire. The music wire has better vibration and lasts longer than stainless but will eventually begin to rust.

Most of the time that wire that I've obtained in bulk was either from American Fishing Wire, or Mason. All stainless wire isn't the same.

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

stevemyoung

Not sure about the diameter, but I've saved a few bicycle wheels from going to the dump - the spokes are stainless steel and have a nice hard temper.  One wheel should be enough to make several spinnerbaits.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: stevemyoung on January 04, 2022, 01:21:16 PM
Not sure about the diameter, but I've saved a few bicycle wheels from going to the dump - the spokes are stainless steel and have a nice hard temper.  One wheel should be enough to make several spinnerbaits.

Wow! That is a great tip. Thanks for sharing that.  ~c~
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

stevemyoung

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 04, 2022, 02:05:54 PM

Wow! That is a great tip. Thanks for sharing that.  ~c~

I haven't tried it myself yet, (and have no experience making baits, but I've been thinking about it a lot!) so I'd love to hear what you think.

bigjim5589

Steve, welcome to UltimateBass & the Tackle Box forum!   

That's not a bad a idea at all. I like not seeing things wasted anyway!  :-*

They're probably a lot bigger diameter than would be used for a typical bass spinnerbait, but I would bet they would work for a big Muskie size, and when I read your comment, Alabama rigs was the first thing that popped into my head!  ~c~

This forum has some very experienced tackle makers, so if or when you do decide to start making your own, this is the place to be & get some guidance! A lot of folks are getting into it these days, so we would be glad to have you hanging around!  :)

If you check out some of the past posts here, you'll see a big variety of what folks have made.  ~gf

I've been at it a long time and enjoy the fact that I can make lures that aren't generally what's on the market, plus, there's a lot of satisfaction when you catch that first fish on a lure you made yourself!  ;)

Oldfart9999

Quote from: bigjim5589 on January 05, 2022, 04:06:11 PM
This forum has some very experienced tackle makers, so if or when you do decide to start making your own, this is the place to be & get some guidance! A lot of folks are getting into it these days, so we would be glad to have you hanging around!  :)

If you check out some of the past posts here, you'll see a big variety of what folks have made.  ~gf

I've been at it a long time and enjoy the fact that I can make lures that aren't generally what's on the market, plus, there's a lot of satisfaction when you catch that first fish on a lure you made yourself!  ;)

It's a good way to get baits, jigs spinnerbaits etc, that are customized to your area and lakes.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.