JDM Metanium 2020 noisy

Started by hydrillagorillahunter, February 04, 2022, 09:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hydrillagorillahunter

I couldn't wait and jumped on a metanium 20 from japan as soon as it became available there; months ahead of the US.  I started to notice the reel becoming noisy about 6 months in.  I did disassemble and perform the typical maintenance - clean, oil and grease.  I've read of others complaining about the micro module gearing and how their mileage seemed to vary.  I'm curious to know if any metanium 20 owners here have had similar issues...noisy...winding sound when casting, more subtle on retrieve.  If I recall I did degrease and oil the bearings as well with no difference in noise. 

caddyjoe77

not sure i can help you on that reel but I had a similar issue in my 14 or 15 JDM Metanium.  I believe it was the gearing, and sold it.  Funny noise when you cast and also random weirdness cranking it in. 

try sending LMG a PM on here he might be able to help you. 
BeerMe

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on February 06, 2022, 10:42:14 AM
not sure i can help you on that reel but I had a similar issue in my 14 or 15 JDM Metanium.  I believe it was the gearing, and sold it.  Funny noise when you cast and also random weirdness cranking it in. 

LMG is out of that business, but Mike Cork can be of help.

hydrillagorillahunter

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on February 06, 2022, 10:42:14 AM

Exactly! (in bold)

fishballer06

A drop of oil on the brake drum on the palm side plate. See if that eliminates the sound during casting. That's likely the culprit.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Mike Cork

I also have one and it's been extremely disappointing for such a high dollar reel. I abused mine as a frog reel, the 8:1 speed was great. It only took about 6 months and I started burning the lower pinion gear bearing out every few months. Then swapping out the bearing didn't help; so I ordered a complete set of gears (nothing to do with casting) and swapped out all bearings, essentially rebuilt the guts and I still have the noise. It gets worse every couple months. I've over oiled to the point of slowing the bearings down and it still doesn't help. As I type this it hits me that the brake case could be getting loose and that's something I need to check.

I suspected the frame is developing wear and causing spool rattling. However, a man should be able to adjust the spool tension knob and fix this but it doesn't. Again, very disappointing for such and expensive reel. I'm still playing with it as I get time.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 08, 2022, 09:38:46 AM
I also have one and it's been extremely disappointing for such a high dollar reel. I abused mine as a frog reel, the 8:1 speed was great. It only took about 6 months and I started burning the lower pinion gear bearing out every few months. Then swapping out the bearing didn't help; so I ordered a complete set of gears (nothing to do with casting) and swapped out all bearings, essentially rebuilt the guts and I still have the noise. It gets worse every couple months. I've over oiled to the point of slowing the bearings down and it still doesn't help. As I type this it hits me that the brake case could be getting loose and that's something I need to check.

I suspected the frame is developing wear and causing spool rattling. However, a man should be able to adjust the spool tension knob and fix this but it doesn't. Again, very disappointing for such and expensive reel. I'm still playing with it as I get time.

Thanks for this...sounds like my experience with regard to the noise getting progressively worse.

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: fishballer06 on February 07, 2022, 10:41:16 AM
A drop of oil on the brake drum on the palm side plate. See if that eliminates the sound during casting. That's likely the culprit.

I have and still no bueno.