Hook Showdown!

Started by Capt. BassinLou, February 11, 2024, 07:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Over on the main forum, there's a great discussion currently going on in regards to EWG vs Offset hooks. This has been an ongoing topic for years in the bass fishing world. So I decided to conduct my own Everglades experiment. Fortunately the bass were more than willing to be my test subjects.  lo  Enjoy!

FlatsNBay

I recommend testing the same brand of hooks. Comparing 6th Sense hooks to any others is like comparing a Volkswagen to a Ferrari. Take out all the variables that you can.

As mentioned over in the other thread, I don't think that you could do a fair comparison of any 2 different types of hooks on the water because of the angle that a fish swims off after they take the bait is different each time they bite. It is fun though to see what you come up with. Nice job.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on February 11, 2024, 10:24:27 AMI recommend testing the same brand of hooks. Comparing 6th Sense hooks to any others is like comparing a Volkswagen to a Ferrari. Take out all the variables that you can.

As mentioned over in the other thread, I don't think that you could do a fair comparison of any 2 different types of hooks on the water because of the angle that a fish swims off after they take the bait is different each time they bite. It is fun though to see what you come up with. Nice job.
Good points, Steve. I enjoyed shooting the video, but I will not be diving into brand comparisons. Thanks for watching!

Donald Garner

Lou, tks for putting the video together for us.  Congrats on the catching as well.

When I first started bass fishing back in 1973 there weren't any EWG hooks around.  I used what was on the market which was the Off Set Hook.  The line back then was Mono but there was the New Lines like Spider Wire and other lines where just coming out.  I tried the New Lines but wound up going back to Mono.

I found that using the Off Set Hook on the Big Plastic Worms that the worm would bunch up on the hook during the hook set. Back then I fished a lot of Big Plastic Worms Texas Rigged.  When the EWG hooks came out I switch over to them when fishing the Big Plastic Worms and seen an increase in my hook set.

I learned too like you mentioned that Mono Stretches on long casts.  I learned to make shorter casts.  One thing that also helped with the hook sets using mono was the graphite rods.  Rod design has come a long way also in helping the catch ratio increase when using mono.

I have in the past fished with Fluorocarbon lines and have had success with them in Tournament Fishing Events.  The only time I've used Braided line is when fishing HEAVY COVER flipping and pitching soft plastics in Tournament Events also. 

So my bottom line is this.  When FUN fishing soft plastics I fish with Mono line with an EWG hook on a  good quality rod.   To be honest I fish Berkley Big Game Clear Mono 20lb line 99% of the time.  My  EWG hooks I use are the H2O Brand from Academy Sports.  I've transition from BPS Extreme Rods to Dobyn's Fury Series Rods.  Fishing with a quality rod and line will help you detect those soft strikes.  When you feel the tap you can quickly pickup the slack line and drive that hook home.

I still have a few Off Set Hook in my inventory but my EWG hooks are what I use 99% of the time when fishing Texas Rigged Soft Plastics.   
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Capt. BassinLou

Appreciate you for watching Donald. Thank you for sharing your hook experiences with us.  ~beer~

FlatsNBay

That's my point. Stick to one brand of hook, no matter what it is. Take out all the variables that you can.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on February 11, 2024, 04:11:50 PMThat's my point. Stick to one brand of hook, no matter what it is. Take out all the variables that you can.
I understood. Lol!! The thing was, I don't own Offset Hooks, and Walmart had the 6th sense Offset for $2!! Lmao.
But all kidding aside for a proper experiment, equipment has to be the same, etc, etc, and I, as mentioned it was just more as a  curiosity,  fun experiment.

big g

With either hook, thin wire hooks would have improved your catch rate with stickbaits.  Long distance penetration would have been much easier. :-*
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on February 13, 2024, 10:15:57 PMWith either hook, thin wire hooks would have improved your catch rate with stickbaits.  Long distance penetration would have been much easier. :-*

True my friend thank you. The thing that I have found about light wire hooks is that with braid they have as tendency to open on you when its bigger bass. However, the light wire is an effective choice when fishing with mono. Appreciate you for watching.