What Brand aluminum do you own?

Started by JayPea2006, May 07, 2006, 10:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevindavidbeasley@gmail.c

I'm new to this forum and fishing boats, in general...  I bought a new 2016 Ranger RT178C and have only had it out for a couple of hours breaking in the motor.  I have a 60hp Mercury on the back and a 40# Motorguide TM.  Have a Garmin Striker 4cv on the bow and a Garmin Echomap 73sv on the console.  Going to be fishing primarily in KY and maybe Indiana and Ohio.

Lipripper

Sounds like you have a nice boat. How about some  ;PHO) of it. ;D When you have time would you stop by here and introduce yourself to everyone. Thanks
Let Us Get To Know You

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

kickinbass

I have an 89 bass tracker ( tundra). Modified  V.  This boat will go where most boats can't. I consider it the 4 wheel drive of boats. Over the years I had to replace the floor once. When I did I took all the foam out which was really heavy. Instead after talking to some guys that race boats I used lots of smaller plastic empty pop bottles. This made my boat much lighter and increased my top speed by 3 miles an hr. I only have a 40 hp engine and it tops out at 34 mph now. The only thing I wish was I had is  a wider beam but If I did I couldn't get into the places I go normally.   Watch below  what I do . Most  guys wouldnt even try this. :) 

Lipripper

Don is that a different boat than the one I went out with you in?

fishandkamp

kevindavidbeasley
What part of KY are you in?  If you are anywhere near Dale Hollow I recommend you fish it.  If you want more info pm me. We drive from Md to that lake semi annually. I run a Stinger 170 Lowe so we fish similar machines, but 6 plus pound smallies await your lure there.

kickinbass

Quote from: Lipripper on March 12, 2017, 10:35:03 AM
Don is that a different boat than the one I went out with you in?
Same boat with modifications .

West6550

2016 Ranger VS1780

Boat is amazing and I would get another one lol

Back bench flips up for more seat to cruise or tube.

Did I mention I love this boat! Ordered it last year, 115 Evinrude H.O, 70# TM, 3 banks charger.. Lots of others. Great boat. Goes great in skinny water.

I can't get in that pipe but there is a local low bridge I go under.. most boats won't try it ;-)

coldfront

i am biased, but do think Ranger makes some outstanding tin.

and those 'v-hull' boats go lots of places too!

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: coldfront on March 13, 2017, 08:06:03 AM

and those 'v-hull' boats go lots of places too!

Yep! That's why I use only aluminum boats too because I can go places those heavier fiberglass boats can never go! And I love it this way too. When I am out on the St. Johns river I rarely see any fiberglass boats where I go because the water levels are just too low for them and the sand bars are like road blocks for them.

It is really nice having mother nature keeping the pack off my back when fishing!

About the only boat traffic I see out there are air boats, the occasional kayaker, and a jet ski passing by and tin boaters. But no fiberglass bass boats! They draft too deep- and when they get stuck on a sand bar- good luck. I have tried helping hapless boaters push their heavy boats off sand bars.

Here is an aerial video of my fishing area on the St. Johns river. The video begins on the west side of Lake Harney where there is a small aircraft grass runway. Lake Harney is deep enough for bass boats so you do see them in Lake Harney, but when he flies over the bridge heading South on the river is where you generally do not see bass boats going. That bridge at hiway 46 is the cut off point. The boat ramp is right there at the bridge too. So it is kind of funny to see bass boats put in and head north into Lake Harney, and us tin boaters put in and head South on the river. I go up into Lake Harney too, but if I really want to get away and have some peace and quiet I head South out of reach...

So when this pilot flies over the bridge and heads South on the river keep count of how many bass boats you see in the video- grand count = 0.

All of the videos on youtube about fishing Puzzle Lake are exclusively air boats, kayaks, and canoes. No fiberglass bass boats!

This is bass fishing heaven on earth! A secret part of Florida off limits to 99% of regular fishing traffic simply because it is too inaccessible for most people. But when the river level is higher people do try and get into the Little Econ river as seen in the following video.

My old 1974 refurbished AlumaCraft which is over-powered and I had to build up the transom for the increased power... she drafts no deeper than 8" so I can go into water 12" deep and she is light enough for me to get out and push and drag it over sand bars so I can go even further back into the jungle.

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Oldfart9999

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on March 13, 2017, 08:47:39 AM
Yep! That's why I use only aluminum boats too because I can go places those heavier fiberglass boats can never go! And I love it this way too. When I am out on the St. Johns river I rarely see any fiberglass boats where I go because the water levels are just too low for them and the sand bars are like road blocks for them.

It is really nice having mother nature keeping the pack off my back when fishing!

About the only boat traffic I see out there are air boats, the occasional kayaker, and a jet ski passing by and tin boaters. But no fiberglass bass boats! They draft too deep- and when they get stuck on a sand bar- good luck. I have tried helping hapless boaters push their heavy boats off sand bars.

Here is an aerial video of my fishing area on the St. Johns river. The video begins on the west side of Lake Harney where there is a small aircraft grass runway. Lake Harney is deep enough for bass boats so you do see them in Lake Harney, but when he flies over the bridge heading South on the river is where you generally do not see bass boats going. That bridge at hiway 46 is the cut off point. The boat ramp is right there at the bridge too. So it is kind of funny to see bass boats put in and head north into Lake Harney, and us tin boaters put in and head South on the river. I go up into Lake Harney too, but if I really want to get away and have some peace and quiet I head South out of reach...

So when this pilot flies over the bridge and heads South on the river keep count of how many bass boats you see in the video- grand count = 0.

All of the videos on youtube about fishing Puzzle Lake are exclusively air boats, kayaks, and canoes. No fiberglass bass boats!

This is bass fishing heaven on earth! A secret part of Florida off limits to 99% of regular fishing traffic simply because it is too inaccessible for most people. But when the river level is higher people do try and get into the Little Econ river as seen in the following video.

My old 1974 refurbished AlumaCraft which is over-powered and I had to build up the transom for the increased power... she drafts no deeper than 8" so I can go into water 12" deep and she is light enough for me to get out and push and drag it over sand bars so I can go even further back into the jungle.

I had the same boat with 15 Merc on it, wish I still had it.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

MT Livewell

I have a 15 Triton TX18 with Merc 115 Pro XS. Atlas Hydraulic Jack Plate, Hot Foot, MG 82 lb trust trolling motor, Garmin units. Great fishing platform, ultimate shallow water boat!
TEAM Twister

195TXW

I bought a Bass Tracker Pro Team 195TXW Tournament Edition boat. It's 18' 7" long with a 98" beam width and it has a 150HP 4 stroke motor. So far I've only had it on the water one time. Just long enough to break the motor in.

scottrowell

I bought a 1998 Dominator 16 built by Fisher last June. So far it has been a lot of fun.

SteveTX

Quote from: JayPea2006 on May 07, 2006, 10:26:56 AM
I'm interested to know what brand, reason, and what features made you decide on the brand you bought?

18ft 2000 SeaArk ZX180 with a 115 Johnson I knew pretty much only a couple things when I was shopping. I wanted all welded aluminum, as wide as I could afford, and what my budget was. I found out instantly a quality used boat was way better for me than a new boat. New prices were not what I wanted to pay just to play on the water.

I wanted the aluminum as I am a shallow water guy. It's just the way I fish I guess but I find it's not uncommon for me to be in skinny water. Also I am not a guy wanting to think about transom rot so I loved the fact this boat has zero wood in it. At 940lbs it seems pretty light. So It seemed tough yet lightweight and low maintenance. Just the way I wanted it.
This particular boat was actually owned by a guy I work with so when the price came about it was a no brainer.

I've had it a little more than a year and so far I have replumbed the 2 livewells as one was cut off and was being made into a cooler.  :( I am just a guy that wants the stuff to work like it was suppose to. It irritated me more that it didn't work not that they used it as a cooler.  :) I have bought 2 new wheels and tires for the trailer after one blew out I realized time to fix this. :embarassed: I have since extended the front deck back to even with the driver's compartment. This was great as it added almost 3sq feet of deck.  ~c~  Pretty dark pic but it is the Pacific Green Metallic color on the hull (dark green) with a Burgundy Beige (light tan) interior. 

Oldfart9999

Good deal! The way to have a tin boat that is all your's is to buy a good boat and modify it to suit you.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

ajb6948

2016 G3 Sportsman 17. Wanted a Lowe but the were backlogged. Actually glad I bought the G3.

WTodd

OK late to the party (regarding the last post to this thread) but I have a 2012 Lowe ST 175 (bought it new), 60 Merc and love it. 
Some things that I've done to it is:
2 8' Talons (paid under $2,700 for the pair and installed them myself (with help from a friend)
Minn Kota Precision Battery Charger (the GOAT....should have done it 3 yrs earlier)
Hummingbird Helix 7 SI/DI up front (since I spend most of my time there)
Deck and box lighting (both were Blue Water LED - I got the blemishes which are 50% off and come with lifetime warranty...I couldn't see anything wrong with any of the lights & installing wasn't that bad...just time consuming). IF you want to do this on your boat put them on separate switches (box on 1 and deck on another) and DON'T BUY CHEAP SWITCHES; I did initially then returned them and got the good rocker switches....not disappointed.
Westin LED spot light (made for trucks but my boat doesn't mind and the price was good)
Boat cover - I don't recommend buying a custom one; just too expensive and I don't think they last any longer than 1 that costs half as much.  Just get a good fitted one with a good warranty for your size boat. Got mine from Auto Anything with 5 yr warranty; it tore after 3 yrs and they sent me a new one. 

Best way to clean seats - use 303 Protectant after every use and you'll never have to actually clean them. You can use the 303 Protectant on your console as well.
Best way to keep the tin clean - use whatever you want to clean it and then apply Turtle Wax Ice spray wax - you can wax the whole thing in 15 minutes, then wipe it down as soon as you get out of the water (takes very little time); mine's white and I don't want it to look like an old toilet bowl.   
Use the tire shine spray to get your trailer tires and they'll last longer (no dry rot)

SteveTX

Sounds like a nice setup WTodd. I had to laugh at the comment
QuoteI don't want it to look like an old toilet bowl.
But being white I can see exactly what you mean. Got any pics of it?

3deez

just turned in my 2017 PT18. bad porpoising problems. Crestliner is building me a new 2018. boat fishes like a dream but Crestliner dropped the ball on letting this model be sold before testing it. at least they are standing behind their customers. I know of two others that are having their boats re-built.
2017 Crestliner PT18 Mercury 150 hp Pro XS
Minn Kota 80lb Fortrex
10' Talon

Donald Garner

WT.  Tks for sharing the pictures with us.  That's a really nice looking rig you got there.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: 3deez on November 04, 2017, 07:09:56 AM
just turned in my 2017 PT18. bad porpoising problems. Crestliner is building me a new 2018. boat fishes like a dream but Crestliner dropped the ball on letting this model be sold before testing it. at least they are standing behind their customers. I know of two others that are having their boats re-built.

Thanks for the info! I have been looking at Crestliner for a Tin for next year. They are at the top of my list, most likely the VT17. It is good that the company is standing behind their product and making good by building new boats for those with defective ones.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

I knew this post looked familiar, I remember your story from another site. I'm glad the company fixed the problem with you, by re-building you a new boat.

Lipripper

That is a nice looking boat and like has been said glad the company is building you a new good boat. ~c~ ~c~

Ddyyak

End of my first year with my Lund. Best decision I've made. Gets on plane quick and being a deep v more storage space than I could ever fill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk