Bait Review - X Zone Lures 3.25" Rebel Chunk

Started by Smallie_Stalker, September 15, 2019, 05:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallie_Stalker

X Zone Lures 3.25" Rebel Chunk

This is the second bait I chose in the recent contest win here on UB.  As I stated in my review of the 4" Pro Swammer, I was anticipating the bass being in the early stages of their fall feeding patterns here in MA.  I chose the Rebel Chunk to use as a trailer on a bladed jig as I figured it would give me a second presentation that I could fish at various speeds and depths in hopes of intercepting some bass looking to put on the fall feed bag. I discovered a side benefit of this chunk as a finesse bait on a dropshot rig. I'm 100% positive that it would make a great jig trailer as well. We'll get to why in just a minute.

Before I get to specifics of the bait I will tell you that it is made with a plastic that is soft enough to give the baits a very natural action in the water while being durable enough to hold up well to multiple bass.

Like my review of the Pro Swammer I am going to break this chunk bait down into three sections – The head, the legs and the claws. So let's start with the head.

So with the head of this bait IMO the bait is best put on the hook by running the point from the back/bottom and out through the front/top. I suppose you could thread it onto the hook but I question whether there is enough plastic there for it to last too long. To be fair though I didn't try it this way so I can't make an absolute statement one way or the other. The rest of the lure gives you such a nice action in the water that you don't have to make slices in the head of the bait like we used to have to do with pork chunks or some of the earlier plastic chunks that were very stiff.

Next come the legs of the bait. By legs I mean the section between the head and the claws. Here again, the transitions from one part of the bait to the next are seamless and flow very nicely into each other giving you a balance look to the bait. The legs are thin enough to provide that sweet action but not paper thin so that they tear too easily as I have seen on some other chunks.

The claws of this bait are the money feature IMO. First of all they float! Awesome when used on a standard jig where you are looking for that defensive crawfish position. And as I discovered in my fishing report linked below they are also killer when using this bait as a dropshot lure. Yes. On a dropshot.
The claws also have a thick ridge along the outer edge. This helps move more water than if you just had a flat claw and when you use this bait as a trailer on a swimjig or bladed jig you can easily feel the thump of the claws. They have some smaller ridges across the face of the claw that I imagine adds a bit more to the thump and water displacement.

If I had a wishlist I would like to see X Zone offer this bait in both a larger size like a 4.25" and a smaller size, say maybe 2.5" or 2.75" to cover everything from small finesse jigs up to mega-sized flipping/pitching jigs.

Overall I feel like this is a very nice little chunk bait and I am looking forward to ordering some more in some different colors. 

IMO X Zone has another winner on it's hands with the Rebel Chunk.

See fishing report ---> Here.

X Zone 4" Pro Swammer Review ---> Here.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

gtrpickr

Thanks for the review Jim, might have to get me some of those.

Mike Cork

Thanks for the review Jim, definitely going to try these. I love the feel of their plastics and I bet the action would be awesome behind Bo's NuTech vibrating jigs ~c~ ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service