Cold Weather Checks

Started by Mike Cork, November 12, 2019, 11:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

With the onset of an Arctic Blast that reached the Gulf Coast and brought 20 degree temps to my place in Louisiana, I was stricken with fear as I thought about all the things that could have just gone wrong with my pride and joy....

I fish all year long so I have to make sure I lower my motor when I get home and drain all the water out of it. I know many northern folks do this at the ramp after loading the boat but here in the south we don't freeze much and it's easy to get out of habit.

Next up is the livewells. I've been bringing white perch home for put in lake Crisco. This means there is water in my livewells. I hate dumping it at home because it fills the gravel carport with fish water. But this time of year I have to make sure I drain them. I don't worry about the water in the livewell freezing it's the water in the pipes and tubes that is the problem. So make sure to drain your livewell.

Because I use my boat a couple times a week, I don't pull the drain plug. I just let the bilge pump handle business when necessary. However when we hit a big freeze like this I need to pull the plug and let the gallon of water out so that it doesn't damage any fittings in the bilge system.

The cold also shrinks the air in your tires, makes sure to put a gauge on your trailer tires and reset the pressure. Since I'm in maintenance mode I use this first blast of winter to check the water level in my batteries as well.

So to put it in list form

Drain the big motor after use
Drain the livewells
Pull the bilge drain plug
Check trailer tire pressure
Check battery water levels

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Excellent advice. It's down right critical to get the water out.

I usually go a step further and pour some RV/Marine antifreeze into both livewell drains, bilge pump-out ports, and the lower unit. That helps flush any water that might be in any of those places and prevents any that doesn't make it out from freezing.

RV/Marine antifreeze is cheap and I still get out a few times during the Winter.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

DonM

I went out after dark last night, but before the temperature dropped to freezing.  Lowered the motor and checked that the live wells were dry.  Of course they were because I never catch anything.  :)
DonM

Lipripper

Quote from: DonM on November 12, 2019, 01:21:28 PM
I went out after dark last night, but before the temperature dropped to freezing.  Lowered the motor and checked that the live wells were dry.  Of course they were because I never catch anything.  :)
You didn't catch anything at all.  :'(

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Lipripper

Good advice Mike and I bet  if it stayed that cold for a spell the water pipes in the house might freeze up too.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

Very good advice Mike!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

Great reminders Mike!  ~c~

Back when I was club fishing some of the guys used to put their trailers up on blocks for the winter to keep the tires from developing soft spots. Still had to check them periodically anyways though.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire