Motor Trimmed DOWN

Started by D.W. Verts, May 17, 2021, 05:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

I see this virtually every time I'm on the water. If you own a boat, while fishing leave your motor trimmed/tilted down enough that at least the lower unit is submerged. By doing this you provide yourself with some "steerage"- the boat will stay straight. While I don't generally suggest it, this is doubly (triply?) important if you're fishing with the wind.

You can then even turn the motor to port or starboard in serious wind conditions to help the boat "track" the way you want it to.

I don't know if folks are worried about scuffing up the lower parts of their engines, or what. I sure don't worry about it. But I've seen a dozen boats with their engines tilted up all the way this season . It looks kinda funny when there's a 250 horsepower brute of an engine, and it's almost setting on the back deck of a boat.

There you go.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Mike Cork

Never thought about putting this out as a tip but I make sure to use the motor to help me. I've even spent my time eating a sandwich, driving my partner nuts.

He was fishing on the front deck and I'd turn the big motor back and forth... He couldn't figure out his control issues until I started laughing too hard and got caught...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

I always keep my motor trimmed down when I'm fishing unless I'm drafting too shallow then I raise it up, but only to clear the bottom. Never understood why other boaters raise their outboards all the way up either.

coldfront

evil, evil...boll weevil...
you are a bad man Mike Cork.
~shade

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Mike Cork on May 17, 2021, 06:00:24 PM
Never thought about putting this out as a tip but I make sure to use the motor to help me. I've even spent my time eating a sandwich, driving my partner nuts.

He was fishing on the front deck and I'd turn the big motor back and forth... He couldn't figure out his control issues until I started laughing too hard and got caught...
Now that's just mean right there.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

Yes I'm mean, especially when he won't stop to eat with me... It's like I'm in a penalty box LOL

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Captsteve

Quote from: Mike Cork on May 17, 2021, 06:08:22 PM
Yes I'm mean, especially when he won't stop to eat with me... It's like I'm in a penalty box LOL
Lol

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

BassmanRudy

I keep mine trimmed up most times because of damn shallow water and stumps. BUT with my lightweight boat it's better to leave it down enough to help with steering like mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Oldfart9999

Great tip Dale!!! Something we don't think about but that can help us.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Basstagger

This brought back memories of fishing with my Father-in-Law. That windy day he taught me this, I thought he was a genius. Miss the old guy- lost him two years ago.

Terry G

I keep my motor down as I fish rice fields and it gets shallow quick.
When it starts to drag bottom I raise it and have enough water for the TM to turn to get me to deeper water.
For me a safety option as a falling tide can leave you high and dry

zippyduck

I trim my motor up when fishing rivers around here for the rocks that are as big as volkswagens. I have cracked a lower unit on them before.
Also when I am in the thickest of weeds when getting blown around is impossible. Yes I love the thick, thick stuff for bigguns.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

coldfront

Quote from: Terry G on August 07, 2021, 08:52:17 PM
I keep my motor down as I fish rice fields and it gets shallow quick.
When it starts to drag bottom I raise it and have enough water for the TM to turn to get me to deeper water.
For me a safety option as a falling tide can leave you high and dry
something else:  in rivers/current.  I will trim up to reduce drag and get more out of my TM.  but in that situation, the current is keeping boat relatively straight.  still, a bit of skeg in the water helps steering there too.

Donald Garner

Depends on where I'm fishing.  Stillhouse lake I'll trim my motor up on the Stratos due to the submerged standing timber.   I leave the prop just under the surface.   I fish pretty shallow most of the time.  Another thing with the Yamaha on my Stratos there's that small hole on the lower unit that feeds the speedometer.  It can get clogged real easy with trash.  Belton Lake I keep the engine trimmed down and yep it helps with the tracking.

When I fish out of my G3 with the 25hp Yamaha I keep that engine trimmed down all the time.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

ohiobass

motor trimmed down, and turned the correct way will help in a drift up on Great Lakes for sure! Keeps the boat drifting sideways. along with using the TM, it works great! 8)