Fishing Rod Protection

Started by Esox obsessed, March 11, 2023, 09:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

Looking for something that can safely transport my fishing rods in my car cheaply and made in usa. (Car is a saab 9-7) i have seen the bungee cord technique but don't know if it will work with the car hook hangers it came with or how to figure out what size to get
Im also looking for something that would protect them as i would like to keep one rod in the car

Princeton_Man

I have a separate travel rod and tackle bag for the vehicles. There are a lot of good quality multi-piece rods out there. both baitcasters and spinning. Many have their own protective travel case or travel tube.

You could buy an adjustable spring loaded closet rod and place it at the top of the rear side windows and stretch a bungee between the coat hooks or grab handles up front.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

big g

Being from south Florida never keep a rod in the car for a prolonged period of time.  The heat will affect the blank and short the life span of the rod, along with the line.  I always take them out as soon as I get home

In the summer in direct sun temps can climb up close to 180* inside.  I know a truck side window that shattered from the heat build up  after days of sitting in the sun.  Pressure inside just build up in 98* hot weather.  Crazy stuff!  This happened to my new F 150, on a clear summer day behind my home.  Just Pressure!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: big g on March 11, 2023, 12:30:28 PM
Being from south Florida never keep a rod in the car for a prolonged period of time.  He heat will affect the blank and short the life span of the rod, along with the line.  I always take them out as soon as I get home.
I never knew that could damage it. What temperatures does it start to damage. I just wanted to keep them in the car because the lots of times ill get to fish during lunch depending on the where the house we are building is.

ike8120

I would just keep a travel rod under the seat.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Esox obsessed

Quote from: ike8120 on March 11, 2023, 01:05:31 PM
I would just keep a travel rod under the seat.
Getting new rods
My plan was to keep my main rod as my travel rod. I was concerned  about it getting damaged during travel, as well as protecting my tackle box

Pferox

I got a cheap telescopic rod and cheap reel from Bang Good, one of those internet Chinese Outlets.  It held up pretty well in the Texas heat, although mono line doesn't do well.  I keep it out of the sun behind the seat and it does OK.
When I quit driving every day, I took it out and stored it in the garage so can't tell you how long it would have lasted since I only had it a year or two in the truck.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Pferox on March 11, 2023, 11:30:13 PM
I got a cheap telescopic rod and cheap reel from Bang Good, one of those internet Chinese Outlets.  It held up pretty well in the Texas heat, although mono line doesn't do well.  I keep it out of the sun behind the seat and it does OK.
When I quit driving every day, I took it out and stored it in the garage so can't tell you how long it would have lasted since I only had it a year or two in the truck.

Ill defininitly look into a telescopic rod
i do know switching from an ugly stik to high end rods i want to make sure i take better care of them as they are more delicate when transporting them even for big trips
If you saw one of my other posts it would explain why im switching as well.

Hobious

i cant keep a rod in my truck full time.  it would get stolen eventually.

for my carries, i use a ROD-MULE.  it is much better than fisting a handful of rods, which is kinda rough on the guides.

i do have a few aweosome travel rods.  the Triza Dragoon feels like a regular rod.  better than a lot of regular rods.