It's Time for Frog'n !

Started by chrisD46, May 06, 2023, 08:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisD46

With the May full moon bass are putting the feed bag on for top water - what are your go-to frogs and favorite colors ?

Capt. BassinLou

Spro 65 Killer Gil. You will thank me. ;)

J.W.

The ones I throw most are the regular Spro (non-popping) in solid black, solid white, or a shad pattern I can't remember the name of.

Smallie_Stalker

I like the Booyah Pad Crasher or Live Target in White and any dark color like  black  or dark blue, and the Jackall Iobee in the Bluegill color.

Sometimes a chartreuse or even pink belly will entice the smallies a bit better. I keep a couple of paint markers on hand for this.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FlatsNBay

Spro 65 and Spro Popping Frog in Killer Gill, Green Pumpkin, Black, and White during the shad spawn.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

bigjim5589

I don't really have a favorite yet, been trying some different frogs, to compare.  In the past, I primarily used the Stanley Ribbits, or similar soft plastic frogs. I use them on a buzzbait frame too.

Yesterday, I gave the Z-Man Poppin Frog a try for the first time, based on a comment one of the Bassmaster Elite pros had made when they were here fishing Santee Cooper, and was quite pleased with it. 

I've been fishing from shore, and have not done well, fact is have not as yet caught a bass this year.   :'(

However had a big Bowfin smash an Academy Sports frog and got a blow up on the Z- man frog, tossed against a cypress tree, but struck a bit too quick and didn't get a hook set.

I really like how that Z-Man frog walks and pops, so we'll see how long it lasts.  ;)

Anyone got any tips for slowing down the hollow frogs from filling with water?  That big Bowfin tried 3 times to grab that frog, and finally smashed it on the 3rd attempt. The frog rode up my line, and after releasing the fish, I had to get the hook back into the body. I don't see any damage, but now it seems to fill a bit faster with water and begins to sink quicker than when I first tried fishing it.   ~b~

I have a bunch of frogs to try, so any tips would be helpful & appreciated.  :-*

BTW, my "frog" setup is not typical.  ::)   I have a Lamiglas 8 1/2 ft MH Salmon/Steelhead rod, originally bought to toss light jigs, and have is paired with a Shimano 200 Calcutta GTE, spooled with 20lb Yozuri Hybrid.  I can cast a 1/2 oz frog a mile with this setup, and for where I've been fishing, have to make long casts.  I also have a different setup, BPS rod, ABU Revo reel spooled with 50 lb braid, for when I may eventually get my boat ready, and can fish some grass, but for now will fish with what I got.  lo
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

chrisD46

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on May 06, 2023, 08:58:41 AM
*This Spro 65 and the 60-size popping version in this color are on my short list - what makes the SPRO frog so good ?

chrisD46

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 06, 2023, 12:22:11 PM
Spro 65 and Spro Popping Frog in Killer Gill, Green Pumpkin, Black, and White during the shad spawn.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Nice color  selections - I'd maybe add a green / chartreuse belly something color to the rotation .

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: chrisD46 on May 08, 2023, 07:38:42 AM
*This Spro 65 and the 60-size popping version in this color are on my short list - what makes the SPRO frog so good ?
They are a well-rounded, good quality frog, that endure a lot of punishment. Have great quality gami hooks that are tough as nails and stay sharp for a long time. If the point dulls for any reason, touch them up  with a hook a file, and you're good to go. Plus, Spro's have a great assortment of colors. I primarily stick with 2-3 colors.

J.W.

I forgot to mention, I also like the 6th Sense frogs (non-poppers). They get bites, but I do not like their hooks as much as the ones on the SPRO 65s. I've rolled a few of the 6th Sense hook tips. I like the SPROs better, but will still tie on a 6th Sense sometimes.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: J.W. on May 08, 2023, 12:19:06 PM
I forgot to mention, I also like the 6th Sense frogs (non-poppers). They get bites, but I do not like their hooks as much as the ones on the SPRO 65s. I've rolled a few of the 6th Sense hook tips. I like the SPROs better, but will still tie on a 6th Sense sometimes.
I have a 6th sense Vega frog that I haven't gotten the chance to use yet. I believe Coldfront sent it to me. I hope to get to put it and a few other newer but unused lures to use this year.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

chrisD46

*I just picked up the SPRO Popping 60 and the Bronze Regular 65 - both in "Killer Gill" color to try : Calm days and matted vegetation get the regular 65 Spro version and sparse vegetation , open water and more ripple on the water will get the Spro Popping 60 version .

chrisD46

Yesterday I picked up a couple of Booyah Poppin Pad Crashers (Swamp Frog (Yellow) and Leopard Frog (Green) - these are not just frogs for open water as with a high rod tip they will scoot across most vegetation pretty well and then when you hit an open pocket you can lower your rod tip and pop to your liking (loud or subtle) ... This is a versatile frog with great reviews that won't break the bank !

coldfront

Quote from: J.W. on May 06, 2023, 09:37:32 AM
The ones I throw most are the regular Spro (non-popping) in solid black, solid white, or a shad pattern I can't remember the name of.

everyone has their favorites.  I tend to lean hard on solid black spro poppin frog.  know folks who don't get as good of hook ups with the poppin style, but I've just never had issues.  secondary color is the 'natural'.

as for the 'dark horse' favorite:  that live target in black with the brown throat has been a real favorite... and at times the LT albino/white...
know folks 'down here' who swear by 'scooby doo'...   ~shhh