Best braid line on the market

Started by Jdog, August 01, 2018, 02:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdog

Any have specific advice on best braid for diawa tatula sv or zillion

Bud Kennedy

There are many good braided lines on the market and a lot depends upon your individual likes or dislikes.  I would say the most commonly used brand is Power Pro.  I have used it for many years and I believe many here will also be long term users of the product.  It is consistent and performs well under all conditions.  Others will claim the same for Sufix 832 as well.  You won't go wrong either way.  I tend to shy away from newcomers to the market and stay with the old proven products until something gives me the reason to seek changes.  That has not happened yet.

Pipepro

I love Power Pro 30# on my SV. I took someones recommendation and tried some Daiwa J braid x8 and absolutely hated it. I dont know if it was because it was lighter poundage or it was almost too limp? Either way I pulled it off after a few trips and went back to the Power pro. I am looking forward to next spring and trying the new PP super slick onyx.

I have used Suffix 832 in the past, but I think the PP is rounder and has less tendency to dig into the under layers.

Hope this helps,

Andy
2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

LgMouthGambler

Look for the words "dyneema" or "spectra". Most brands by the strands from the same manufacturers. After that, its just coatings and packaging.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

the_huber_show

I feel there is not such thing as "the best".  What you will get is what people have had good or bad experiences with.

I know a lot of people rave about Power Pro. 

I do not like Spider Wire.

I have some Godline coming in this week that I have heard nothing but good about.
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

zippyduck

I have PP on my Daiwas and love it. I don't use anything under #50.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

merc1997

i have used stren baid and had great results with it.  currently, i am using hi-vis yellow spider wire stealth braid, and have not had any bad issues with it either.  i use all spectrums of lb. test from 10 to 50.  most of the time, those that seem to have an issue with any braid comes from not following what i call the rules of braid.

as i have discovered for myself, the backing that you use has everything to do with casting and usage performance.  using a small backing will let the braid spool on more smoothly and eliminate digging and catching on the cast.

do not snap you rod to dislodge a stuck lure.  braid has no stretch and therefore you will cut your line into quite often using the method.  snapping your rod with mono or floro does not have much impact because of the stretch in your line.  if they did not have stretch, they too would cut into.

learn the "rules" of using braid, and you will like it.  don't follow the "rules of braid and all you will do is cuss it.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Smallie_Stalker

On baitcasters I use the same hi-vos yellow Spider Wire Stealth as Bo and also the Spider Wire Ultrafast Flouro Braid also in high vid yellow. 30 - 65 lb. tests. Never any issues but I HAVE had breakage issues with Power Pro. 

For spinning reels I use either Fireline or Nano-Fil. I will go as low as 6 lb amd as high as 30 lb with these lines.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

"Best" is one of those words that's open to interpretation. The "best" for one angler is garbage to another, and vice versa. There are so many brands and types of braid out there right now that will make your head spin. Imho, if you have a Walmart near by your home, go check out there fishing section. They have Power Pro, Spider braid, and other brands. Pick one that fits your budget, spool it and try it. If you like it? Great. If not , try another brand until you find the one "you" like. FWIW. Power Pro can be bought pretty cheap in Walmart and that braid has been around for a long while.

SFL BassHunter

There is no best when it comes to anglers. You'll just get opinions.

Personally I have tried PowerPro, Sufix, Stren, Trilene, Spiderwire and Kastking.
Right now my reels have either PowerPro or Kastking on them. I would also not be opposed to buying Trilene again if the price was right.
I don't care for Sufix, and had issues with Stren and Spiderwire snapping on me 

PowerPro has been good to me for the most part with the exception of MaxCuatro. Had issues with that line and won't buy it again. Regular PP is a great price and is consistently good.

KastKing has yet to fail me but I have been using it a lot less time.

I am also using Nanofil at the moment for my spinning reel. I have not had any issues with Nanofil. But this falls into a slightly different category. It's a uni-filament line. Unlike the other braids which are strands spun together to make one line, uni-filament is a gel-spun polyethylene. Feels a lot like dental floss and looks like it.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

I have been using Power Pro regular 30 lb for years but now that I'm getting older and my eyes are getting worse I'm going to be switching to some of that 50 lb Hi Vis line.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

WTodd

I've used a few different brands but PP is the best IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelHorseCowboy

I have some PP super slick 8 strand. It performs perfectly fine, but I have trouble tying knots with it. Seems like the strands separate a bit as I cinch down the knot and makes it harder to pull it tight.

I'm one of the ones who likes Daiwa J-Braid X8, have not had a single issue with it. I really love the slickness and silence. It's also uncoated, and bleeds dye like crazy. I've fished with freshly spooled reels, and gone home with green splatters on my face, hands, and clothes.
Most common complaint seems to be break offs when you get a backlash, spool suddenly stops spinning and that nice lure keeps flying. But I seem to be the exception to that rule and I'm still trying to figure out why.
Not as sensitive as others.

I've mostly moved away from that but may be going back to it. I've been using Sufix 832, and loved it at first. But, it's noisy compared to J-Braid X8. 8 strand braid, 32 weaves per inch (832), and one of those strands is a gore fiber, I can hear and feel it every time that gore weave crosses the tip guide. And contrary to how tough the packaging says it is, I've gotten a bit of fraying. Pretty sensitive line.

The PP had been switched to a big spinning reel for catfish and used heavily, no fraying. That's after being dragged along river and bayou bottoms, through stumps, rocks, old bridge pylons, brush piles, etc. Same with some Daiwa I still have spooled from about a year ago, no fraying. I've used the 832 for a couple of months in light cover and ended up having to cut off about a foot each outing.

So now I'm trying Sufix Performance braid, Y6. Seems like a different manufacturing method? I think it's six strands and they're woven under heat, slightly melting them together or something?

I don't know, but if I like it at the end of the year as much as I do now, it may be what I end up sticking with. Again, pretty sensitive line, and seems to hold up well so far, but I've only been using it a couple weeks.

Pro-Cat. I have this on a couple of catfish rigs, and I would consider it a possible viable option for bass fishing, may try it some day myself. I've got some in 65 and 50 pound test strength. Has the profile of a 4 strand line, but actually seems smoother than the 4 strand lines I've tried on other people's reels.
I'll ask another angler in a heartbeat, "Hey, can I check that out?" None have turned me down yet, and I usually reciprocate the favor by letting them check out my Curado or butter smooth Ambassadeur. All the 4 strands I've come across sound like a saw blade coming through the guides.
Pro-Cat seems to have a thick coating, looks rubberized, but it's diameter is still comparable to other braids of the same test strength, just slightly thicker, like a couple hundredths of a mm if I recall . Knots well, no slippage. I abuse the hell out of it, won't hesitate to let current drag my hook and sinker behind a concrete bridge pylon, then winch it in with a catfish on it, and no fraying. Other than some mud, slime, and occasional blood stains on the last few feet, no damage at all.
The least sensitive of the braids I've used, but TOUGH, and still sensitive enough that I can feel a hit with the line laying across and in obstructions. Also casts very surprisingly well. Another bonus, it's dirt cheap. Made by H²O express, and I haven't had great luck with some of their products, so that makes it an even bigger surprise. Academy carries it in Hi-Vis yellow.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

fishballer06

I've tried most of them on the market and I have a few favorites. In no particular order:

Sunline FX2
Suffix 832
Pline TCB
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Stren_g

I use Stren, but i'm kinda biased  ~shade As LMG pointed out, there are only a few manufacturers... the coatings are the main difference. I have tried several brands, and spiderwire is the only one I didn't care for. It seemed super slick and needed a bit more of a "break in" to limber up.

JohnD.

For me , the best is original power pro on my baitcasters and spiderwire invisibraid on my saltwater spinning gear. I've heard some pretty good things about fireline ultra 8. I might try that flipping & punching for it's smoothness.

Princeton_Man

My braids of choice are Power Pro and Power Pro Super Slick.
I used Spiderwire for many years and my biggest issue with it was wind knots would occur in the lighter (30lb and below).
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteveTX

Myself on my bait casters typically I use 50 and 65lb and some 40lb but not much. I pitch a lot and when I am not pitching I am pulling a toad or a frog through some nasty stuff. I recall using all of these listed lines and a few others. This is pretty much the order I like them. However the first 2 can be reversed as both to me are great lines.

• Suffix 832
  • Power Pro
  • Sunline FX2
  • Power Pro Super Slick
  • Spiderwire Invisibraid
  • Spiderwire
  • Pro-Cat
  • Daiwa J-Braid
All of them did the job except Daiwa J-Braid. After loosing several lures, and making a absolute mess bleeding on my rods and reels I wont try that mistake again. I suggest research on the internet this J-Braid has a undeniable bad reputation for snapping when shocked like when a backlash occurs.

FloridaFishinFool

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

SteelHorseCowboy

Sufix Performance after two weeks and only a handful of backlashes. I've only fished this reel about 4 days since spooling it.

Guess I'll go back to Daiwa. Reckon they should just send me a lifetime supply since I'm the only one on earth not losing lures from it and I'm willing (barely willing) to put up with green chit flying everywhere.
That ain't sarcasm, I know it happens and it's wide spread, I've even seen videos of it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jdog

BarryFL

Quote from: zippyduck on August 01, 2018, 04:22:26 PM
I have PP on my Daiwas and love it. I don't use anything under #50.
No reason to use anything less than 40lb braid on a baitcaster. I think it's the same diameter as 12lb mono. Anything smaller is troublesome to me (digs in when pulling drag).

If visibility is an issue, use a flouro leader like I do with flukes.

PP and Sufix 832 are my favorites.

~Barry~

~Barry~

WTodd

PP....tried Suffix ONCE and won't ever make that mistake again....4 break offs on 3 difference rods in 1 day with brand new line.

Barry witnessed all of it

BarryFL

But that wasn't 832, it was on the Sufix Performance braid.

~Barry~
~Barry~

WTodd

To me it doesn't matter; if their internal processes are that bad all of their products are suspect