Fishing on September 1 2017

Started by Pacific NW Ron, September 02, 2017, 12:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific NW Ron

Fishing was still pretty slow yesterday.  Only three good bites all day long.  Threw a lot of different baits.
I did get one small one about 12" and lost two which I'm sure were much nicer ones.  I had one on in open water for several minutes.  This was on the rod that I only have 10lb mono on so I couldn't horse him.  It was taking drag, probably took about 15 to 20 feet of line then turned and came straight towards me.  I couldn't reel fast enough to keep up with it and it came off.  Never jumped just went sideways and away from me before turning around came right at me.
The other one hit a top water.  We were fishing a heavy weeded area.  All we could fish there was top water.  It hit and went straight down into the weeds.  Had him on for a little while before it came off and all I ended up with is 5lbs of weeds.
My buddy got none again today. 
There was a lot of algae on the lake today.
It was pretty warm, air temp about 84 and no wind till just before we came in.  Water temp was 70 to 73
One exciting moment was when we saw that big fish that rolled right by the boat and scared me last time.  This time it scared my friend.  Rolled a few feet away from the boat right in front of him.  He said it was the biggest bass he's ever seen.  He said the same thing I thought, that it was probably in the 8lb range.  It was almost at the same spot as last time.  Now we know for sure where he lives.  Once again we threw several baits at it but no bites.  Maybe next time we'll get him
Now that the pads are starting to dye there's a little more open water.  If it's like today with no wind you can see where the fish are moving in the pads.  We saw several areas where the pads would move as the fish moved around.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Lipripper

Thanks for the report Ron and glad you caught a fish to bad your friend didn't get any. What kind of top water was you throwing? Y'all keep trying sooner or later one of y'all will get that big one to bite.  ~bb

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SteveTX

I've been fishing pads a lot and even though they are dying off all I ever see at the top of the water is Gar. Are you positive that it is a bass? Just seems unusual to be a bass doing that. At least it is here in my area no bass hangs around that close to the top unless the water is 2 ft deep. Maybe it's different other places?

Pacific NW Ron

We have both clearly seen it.  Confirmed it's a bass.   We see this type of activity frequently around here.  There are no carp or gar in this lake.  Water is only about 3 to 4' deep in this area of the lake.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

SteveTX

Man I'd still be there trying to get it.  ~roflmao
Cool that you have found it in the same area like you said might be easy to find again.

Donald Garner

Ron, tks for sharing the trip with us.  Some days are like this one.  You'll get'm better next trip out.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard