Does anyone use these trailer jacks?

Started by Princeton_Man, October 04, 2017, 06:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

Gotta say I envy those with tandem trailers. Unless there's a two tire issue, you guys can pull the good tire up on a piece of 4x4.

After a tire and hub issue this Summer, I decided to buy a separate trailer jack. I should asked around first but since the UB rally is getting close, I just bought this thing.

Has anyone here used these?

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

I have not but the idea is sound.  ~c~ It should work great!

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

I have a mini floor jack that I keep in the trucks tool box. Its a big help if the trailer or the truck gets a flat tire. I think its a 1 or 1 1/2 ton jack too. Got it from the auto parts store we deal with for like $20.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 04, 2017, 07:21:36 AM
I have a mini floor jack that I keep in the trucks tool box. Its a big help if the trailer or the truck gets a flat tire. I think its a 1 or 1 1/2 ton jack too. Got it from the auto parts store we deal with for like $20.

I have one of those in the garage truthfully the truck's stock jack worked for me. Just a PITA pull it out and pack it back in. I was going to get a small hydraulic bottle jack because I thought I could fit one in the box with my hitches and pins. Then I saw this thing and bought it before giving it a lot of thought. It will definitely fit in my hitch box under the back seat.

It looks like it will work great when the tire isn't flat. My concern is that with a flat tire, the axle may be too low for it to work properly. I could be wrong. I'm going to have to test it by letting air out of a tire and see if I can get it under the axle at an angle that will allow it to work.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

This would make a great product review article.

Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

Jim, I have not used the wedge device but I know folks who have and they were not happy.  I have had two flat tires over the years on my trailer.  I have a bottle jack and carry a piece of 4x4 to act as a base.  The little jack works just great for this application.  I lift the wheel by using using the bottle jack under the trailer frame and not the axle.  Kinda hard to get under there when the tire is flat.  My jack came from Home Depot or Lowes, can't remember which one.  It is in a plastic case and stores nicely in small places.  I keep it in the truck when traveling.  In fact it is going with me next week to Santee just in case. I will have to look but I think the jack is a 6 ton jack.  I will let you know later.  I want to recall that I paid about $25.00 for the jack and I highly recommend this method vs the wedge.  NOTE:  Both flat tires came in areas where it was not a hard surface and the jack with the base was solid and fit well on the trailer frame.

Bud Kennedy

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on October 04, 2017, 08:30:10 AM
Jim, the jack I use did come from Lowes.  I have attached a link to the product.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Torin-6-Ton-Bottle-Jack-with-Case/50273039
I may still end up getting one of those if this thing doesn't work with a flat. Bottle jacks are pretty useful for more that changing tires. I've got a 20 ton somewhere that came off the farm. Just a little to big to haul around in the truck and I don't think it will fit under the trailer's axle.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

gatorglenn

I have one that I carry in the truck. Used it on a utility trailer. But haven't on the boat. If you are on hard pavement, their great. On the shoulder of the road. In grass or dirt. Well you can guess, it's not lifting anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
06 PT 175 TX
Mercury 60 hp

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Princeton_Man on October 04, 2017, 06:43:18 AM
Gotta say I envy those with tandem trailers. Unless there's a two tire issue, you guys can pull the good tire up on a piece of 4x4.

After a tire and hub issue this Summer, I decided to buy a separate trailer jack. I should asked around first but since the UB rally is getting close, I just bought this thing.

Has anyone here used these?

Yep!! and their awesome!!

Capt. BassinLou

But like GatorGlenn said, use on a hard flat surface. Preferably asphalt so the jack catches.
Very easy to use. You need to move slowly obviously, and keep your eye on the trailer thru the side rear view.  As soon as you see the trailer rise, if you go slow enough and with enough practice you feel when the jack is completely upright.

I used mine 2 weeks ago to change my trailer tires, in preparation for the FLBR Classic.

Princeton_Man

Thanks guys, good to hear some positive responses. I thought I'd get to test it out after work today.... that didn't happen.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Princeton_Man on October 04, 2017, 07:50:58 PM
Thanks guys, good to hear some positive responses. I thought I'd get to test it out after work today.... that didn't happen.

Report back when you use it Jim. I would like to hear your take on the jack.

Nutt

Funny thing that yall are talking about this subject, as I was just thinking about asking what everyone carries jack wise in case of a flat.  I had a bad blow out in August and wasn't as prepared to change a flat on my boat trailer as I thought I was.  Long story short, I have my personal truck I pull my camper and boat and utility trailer with, and I also have a company truck that I drive for most everything else.  Its nice to have two trucks, but it also can be a pain in the arse because whatever you need always seems to be in the truck I'm not driving.  I have pondered on buying the drive on jack that you have pictured because I have heard they are pretty good, but I am leaning towards a small bottle jack that will fit in the compartments under the rear seat of my Dodge.  Whatever I buy, its gonna have to have a good load rating since I also will be using it in case I need to change a flat on the camper which is tandem.  The boat trailer is a single axel. 
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

Mike Cork

Nutt, carry a chunk of 4x4 for the camper. Shave one side to be a ramp and just pull the good tire next to the flat tire up on it. Never need to get under it and it's very stable when those a-holes don't move over and rattle the shit out of you. You can toss it in the back of the truck, no ones ever stole wood from me around here. Gas, anything metal, but not my chunks of wood.

Cork's Reel Service

Nutt

Good suggestion, Mike.  I actually have a piece in the back of my truck right now, and you have given me the incentive to make a ramp.  As far as stealing out of the bed of a truck goes, people wont steal shovels, post hole diggers or any other hand tool that requires work to use.  I did have an empty gas can stolen once tho. 
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

Mike Cork

I had a 3/4 full gas can stolen. Jokes on them, it was lawn gas and about 2 years old. I personally hope that it gummed up their tank and trashed the fuel pump, maybe even and injector or two ~bb

Can't stand a thief... but your right about the working tools.

Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

As most have already told me, hard surface works like a charm. As most have also already said, loose gravel and soft ground, forget it.

It's light and takes up very little space. Great for most circumstances.

Super for a flat on hard surface and great for a quick bearing check.

I'll probably replace the truck's jack with a bottle jack as well.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Rangerman

I have one and it will work BUT no real good, it slips. I got a Little Red from North Tool for a $20.00 and carry a few 2x6 to shim. The jack above will hurt you if not careful. If you have a light single axle it will work. Best advise if you have duels is by a Trail Aid Plus and sell for about $40.00. Stupid Fool. Just do a seach on Trail Aid is dual wheel. You could make one if you have an 8x8  post around.  Check it out or got with the cheapy floor jack for Harbor Fgt or Northern. Flats no fun ~b~ Guys  do Google on Trailer Aid Plus. the real deal. Then do a utube on Trailer Aid plus, all should how to Fred Sanford one up out of wood. ;D If you go to Northern Tool get you the right size thin wall deep socket and breaker bar, makes life easier.

All else fail back the good tire up on curb and let flat hang over drop side and change lo I hate flat tires

SteveTX

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 06, 2017, 09:35:05 AM
I had a 3/4 full gas can stolen. Jokes on them, it was lawn gas and about 2 years old. I personally hope that it gummed up their tank and trashed the fuel pump, maybe even and injector or two ~bb

Can't stand a thief... but your right about the working tools.
I agree 100% I cant stand a thief or a liar and they are usually one in the same.

A long time ago my grandfather had a huge mechanical floor jack. This thing was made of steel from the good old days where nothing was spared when making something. I swear this thing would lift a tractor trailer loaded. It was that heavy built.
Well I had it in my carport where I used it regularly and one day it was gone. I never saw or heard anything poof it just vanished. Well like you the last laugh may be on the thief if they used it. I say "they" as there was no way one guy carried that off. Not even lift it to put in a truck alone. Not only did it weigh 300+ it was hinged in the middle. It would be as bad as trying to pick a unconscious 300# fella up.
Anyway what the thief's didn't know was it had a small problem. If you took it to the very top sometimes it would stay there. And sometimes it literally would :shocking: drop to the floor as if you released it. It was kind of like a ghost had it. You never knew when it would decide to let go. 
First experienced this when my brother and I jacked up my 69 firebird and was putting headers on it (with jackstands).  We finished and had pulled the jack stand out but hadn't lowered it. We didn't even touch the jack we were sitting on my tailgate taking a break admiring the great work we did sitting right in front of the car. All of a sudden my new headers got their first flat spots. ~xyz
Anyway I hope they didn't sell it or pawn it and kill some unsuspecting person. But that jack has memories I tell ya and we still talk about it to this day.  :'(

As for a boat jack I had a small bottle jack from another job I was not using so I just made it my new boat jack. Works great. Never hurts to have a block or two of wood though to scotch the other wheel or raise the jack or make a better foundation if in mud or rock. 

West6550

Never tried that kind but we use Anderson levelers for our RV, very similar and easy to use. They make a "rapid jack" that is basically the same thing but goes under the good tire. It works for tandem trailers or a dually truck only though since it uses the good tire to lift the bad tire off the ground. They are light and have several functions, like a wheel chock and can be use for the trailer front jack to hold the wheel ones in place or give extra height if needed.

Team KaRu

Ok... I'm a YouTube geek.

Here is a neat video showing the use of the Anderson levelers
PB: 10.3 lbs - Lake Fork