91 Chevy S-10 4.3 V6 (manual)

Started by QuantumRONandReel, January 19, 2008, 08:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuantumRONandReel

Getting an 02 Nitro 901 CDX in March...currently pulling around a 16 ft Starcraft Aluminum boat now...wondering if its time to upgrade my trusty S-10 4.3 V6 Chevy...anyone using an S-10 to tow a bass rig that size?

AB

What size is the 901?  Been a while since I looked at the Nitro lineup...

Basscat7

Quote from: QuantumRONandReel on January 19, 2008, 08:52:02 PM
Getting an 02 Nitro 901 CDX in March...currently pulling around a 16 ft Starcraft Aluminum boat now...wondering if its time to upgrade my trusty S-10 4.3 V6 Chevy...anyone using an S-10 to tow a bass rig that size?

That's a 19 foot boat with  1700+ lb. dry hull weight...but fully rigged with a 200 and gas,batteries, tackle etc..you will be looking at towing close to 4500 lbs, that's pushing the limit on an S-10.  On flat ground your s-10 will tow it, but will have trouble on hills or interstates.

Your main concern will be stopping that weight with the small truck, brakes on the trailer are a must if you tow with a small vehicle.

If possible, you'll be much safer towing that size boat with an upgrade. That size boat will be wagging the s-10.
Golf is for guys whose wife's won't let them buy a bass boat

POE

i got an almost 19 footer and my 4.3 v6 chevy pulls it fine. just be carefull when stopping and you will be fine.

AB

I don't think I'd be trying it...it might tow ok...but the day a kid pulls out or jumps out in front of you, you will not be able to stop it...

spetro

To me the truck is to light.  If you nail a big bump the front end of the truck will want to come off the ground.  On a steep/slick ramp you may also have a problem unless your s 10 has 4 WD.  JMHO

bassstalker

My 94 s10 with 4wd had the power to pull great but it road walked bad and the trailer would stop better with brakes