Did well this year (and every other year) casting various plastic shapes

Started by SenkoSam, December 01, 2023, 04:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenkoSam

I know this is a bass fishing forum, but many soft plastics catch many species including bass. I have more soft plastics than I know what to do with them and especially duplicates I didn't even know I had. Taking too many lures is a problem since most won't get used no matter how long in the box.

Question: How many anglers on UB like catching fish other than bass?

Targeting a species is tough since there are so many lures that catch everything. Granted, many lures will not work for panfish, sucker and catfish due to the size of a lure or its action/profile examples being spinnerbaits, skirted bass jigs with trailers and large crankbaits. But small light plastics on light jigs will always get bites from panfish, bass, pickerel, catfish (believe it or not), trout, walleye and others that I've netted over many decades. In my mind, the drug is the tug regardless what struck.

A few new shapes have done well as well as other past creations. What's nice about multispecies fishing is catching nice size fish of each species. A 15" crappie bends a light action rod like no tomorrow, ditto for 13" yellow perch, giant pickerel and 7 lb. catfish. Don't get me wrong, but larger plastics can catch larger fish of any species given lure shape and presentation. Here's a yellow perch and crappie caught using a 5" worm on a light jig.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
A bass took down this float and 2.5" plastic thin tail grub:
You cannot view this attachment.

Amazing was the discovery of how well a grub body caught fish minus the curl tail:
Over 150 fish were caught using it and grub bodies attached to one another by melting the ends over a candle.

Lure variety makes fishing more interesting for me knowing that a few-will-do a great majority of the time. In fact, there is a huge selection of lure types I've caught bass on and many lure types that caught fish on the same outing. It always comes down to using the right lures in the right location at the right time. Guess I've learned a thing or two in 40 yrs that serve me well today.

Donald Garner

Congrats on a very successful year fishing with your soft plastics.  Tks for sharing the article and those pictures with us.  I have caught Crappie, Catfish, Drum while bass fishing with soft plastics.

Here's a couple pictures of a Bluegill & Largemouth Bass I caught over on Nolan Lake on Ft. Hood.  I was flipping a SweetBeaver on 20lb Berkley Big Game.  I fish a lot of soft plastics baits when I'm fishing over on Nolan Lake. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

SenkoSam

A sunfish on a Sweet Beaver and offset hook. Who woulda thought it possible?
But then again who would have thought this possible: