Lake Oroville July 14-15

Started by Pat Dilling, July 18, 2021, 11:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Dilling

Spent a couple days on Lake Oroville this week.  On the 14th my wife Kate and I went up.  Water temp was 81 when we started, water level continues to drop at elevation 667, that is 233 down feet from full.  Water clarity is improving from past trips, about 4-6 feet depending on location.  We launched on the gravel ramp at the spillway, within a day or two it will be the only lake access.  Fishing remains good.  We concentrated on main lake point with rock.  The crankbait bite is on!  In one case I caught two at once on a Deep Little N green craw crankbait.  We also caught them on jigs and Ned rigs.  Where ever we caught them on crankbaits there were fish showing on the graphs suspended in 7-15 feet of water.

On the 15th our old guys Slow Trollers fishing club had a tournament.  There are high stakes involved with $25 going to the winner and also to the big fish.  We launch when we want and come in at 12 for weigh-in and lunch.  The crankbait bite continued, but shut off for me at around 9:30.  My buddy Rodney really had them dialed in and had a 5 fish limit of spots for 12.4 pounds with a 3.7 big fish.  There were 9 of us fishing and everyone had a limit.  there were some 10 and 9 pound limits, some chose to dump their fish at the ramp when they realized they were not competitive.  Pretty good fishing for hot summer days in July.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

Mike Cork

I hate to see and hear about how low it is. But I do like seeing how many fish you catching. The population is doing well ~c~

You are entered into the Dobyns Champion Series rod giveaway, post more reports for more entries
click here for giveaway rules

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service