Another Classic Champ retires

Started by Mike Cork, November 20, 2023, 09:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

After a career that spanned parts of five decades, decorated professional angler David Fritts of Lexington, N.C., has announced his retirement from B.A.S.S. The 1993 Bassmaster Classic champion and 1994 Bassmaster Angler of the Year said his declining health and the rigors of the various B.A.S.S. schedules were the major factors in his decision.

Full story on the front page www.ultimatebass.com

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

My crankbait hero.

I met him once back in 1994 and was lucky enough to be able to have a one on one conversation for about a 1/2 hour with him.

He told me what he thought I was doing right and what I might want to change. But never once said I was doing anything wrong or made me feel inferior to him. Just a great down to earth guy sharing some knowledge with a fellow angler.

He also taught me the importance of "the upward turn" and shared a secret with me that has helped me keep more fish pinned on cranks to this day and it has nothing to do with the rod.

I am guessing or at least hoping he will continue to be involved in the industry and designing new baits in the future.

Best of wishes David.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Oldfart9999

A great champion!!! For a while, he was known as the guy who fell out of his boat trying get a handle on a fish, if memory serves he did.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

jocko

caddyjoe77

"upward turn" -- cough cough -- spill the beans please  ~roflmao
BeerMe

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

coldfront

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on November 20, 2023, 12:31:35 PMMy crankbait hero.

I met him once back in 1994 and was lucky enough to be able to have a one on one conversation for about a 1/2 hour with him.

He told me what he thought I was doing right and what I might want to change. But never once said I was doing anything wrong or made me feel inferior to him. Just a great down to earth guy sharing some knowledge with a fellow angler.

He also taught me the importance of "the upward turn" and shared a secret with me that has helped me keep more fish pinned on cranks to this day and it has nothing to do with the rod.

I am guessing or at least hoping he will continue to be involved in the industry and designing new baits in the future.

Best of wishes David.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

have LONG thought that someone needs to interview David and write the definitive crankbait textbook...  get the scoop from the guy himself.

some might think that 'that time' is done with FFS and the  newer tech we now have access to...  I'd suggest not.

not if you are a thinking angler who wants to be very intentional in the approach.

matter of fact, I'd love to see a book with chapters on key techniques that are basically 'downloading' knowledge from the masters of it...  denny brauer on jigs, pitching, flipping.  fritts on crankin'... KVD on spinnerbaits, etc

then again, baits, techniques aren't even half of it.  locating those fish is still the most important part of the process... 

'...it ain't luck if you do it right...'

caddyjoe77

Quote from: D.W. Verts on February 01, 2024, 09:25:03 PMAwww man caddie...

Dale

maybe i already do it -- people call the same things different names  lo
BeerMe