Bait caster Q HELP!!!!

Started by Brocksdad1, July 28, 2013, 12:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocksdad1

Ok so I would like to start doing more pitching and so on. But I am a spinning only guy.  I've had one bait caster. A flueger setup. Had braid on it can't remember the #. But couldn't get the control down. Backlash, to far, to short, bad aim. LOL. list goes on. Traded it to my buddy for a flueger spin combo.

Any and all help.  Video recommendations, how to. Real rod combo selections for a PO-boy

Bryce

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
This is not a hobby for me, its a sick addiction. Now my son has the problem...isnt it great!!!

I would like to take this time to thank Bass for biteing my lures and bringing me joy.

Dave Stratos

I have too many bait casting reels to mention both shimano and daiwa. I'm a big fan of the old green Shimano Curados either the 200's or 100's. They are durable, relatively easy to service and used ones can be found for under $100. They are all around great reels and good for someone just starting out with a baitcaster.

I'm sure there are a ton of videos out there on flipping techniques if you do a google search.

My only recommendation would be to start off with a jig that is at least 1/2 oz or more. Lighter jigs are hard to flip/pitch until you get the hang of it.

Start off with heavier braid as it is a little more forgiving when getting out back lashes and It won't kink like mono or flouro.

Deadeye

Baitcasters are a pain-in-the-behind while you are learning how to use one, then once you do you will find yourself asking why you didn't do this before. I like you used to only be a spinning guy, bought and tried baitcasters and hated them. Now they are the main tool I use.

I will suggest that when you buy another one that you buy a decent one, as this will lower your learning curve. My first two were BPS Specials Rod & Reel Combo for like $30.00 and although I thought they were good I found out later they were really crap and hard to set. A good/decent reel will be smoother and the brakes will work better thus giving you more and better control.

You can go as expensive or reasonable as you wish. A good reel such as a Lews or Shimano will run from $90-200 depending on what you decide you MUST have or need. A good rod will run $80-200 again depending on the same. Or you can find a decent quality combo to get started with such as the Abu Garcia Hank Parker Special for about $100. This particular outfit comes with a 6'6" MH rod and an 8 bearing reel that includes a Flipping Switch option. Not a bad deal to get started with at all. I have found this one and others by Abu at Wal Marts.

As for lines for flipping try either 50-65 lb braid or 20-25 lb Flourocarbon. Most guys seem to prefer braid, but it is a personal choice.

I agree when first learning use a heavier weight like 1/2 oz jigs or Rattletraps for cranking, if you so choose. I didn't because no one told me and it was a lot harder to learn. Once you learn however you can throw a weightless plastic worm with a baitcaster if you want to with no problem.

Good Luck and have fun learning. Remember that when you start to get frustrated, give it a break for awhile and use your spinning outfit. But then pick it back up and keep going, you'll get it.

Brocksdad1

Thank you both very much. 

Just curious. What are your opinions on flueger. I love their spinning combos.

Bryce
This is not a hobby for me, its a sick addiction. Now my son has the problem...isnt it great!!!

I would like to take this time to thank Bass for biteing my lures and bringing me joy.

BassMan83

What the guys said above pretty much covered it. Don't get a crazy cheap reel. It will frustrate the crap out of you. Get the best reel you can afford and go cheap on the rod. This way you can fish and practice. If it's something you just can't get the hang of, it's much easier to sell a used reel than a rod. If you like it, get a better rod.

Also, buy a big 300yd spool of cheaper line. Wil make it hurt less when you are cutting out a giant birds nest. Lol

I've heard nothing but good things about Pfluguer baitcasters.

Mike Bush

Above posts covered it.

I need to make to make a quick how-to video on reel setup.

Don't buy a cheap reel, get something that can be maintained and you don't get frustrated with. A good used reel will be 100-130$....and that will be a solid one and last for years. Green Curados, Lews and some Abu should fit the bill.

Brocksdad1

Thanks fellas. Maybe ill try to get my phlueger back.

Bryce.

Brocksdad1

One more thing. I cast with might right hand and reel with my left

I've looked at the right handed reels, so after I cast do I have to switch hand to reel

Or should I get a left handed do I can cast right stay right reel left

Is the Abu black max any good?
I really don't know what to look for in a reel.

Bryce

Bigwrench

Quote from: Brocksdad1 on July 28, 2013, 09:21:34 AM
One more thing. I cast with might right hand and reel with my left
I've looked at the right handed reels, so after I cast do I have to switch hand to reel
Or should I get a left handed do I can cast right stay right reel left

Bryce
If I had to start out all over again I would go with left hand cranking reels . Your learning anyways so might as well learn the way you've always done it
  Plus your dominant right hand can give you more power on the hookset
  Don't have any lost time switching hands etc.  I'd actually like to try a left hand reel for awhile to see if it would work out better
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

njpaul

Start with mono not braid.  Mono is cheaper, easier to untangle and if you have to cut knots out you're not going to go broke. 

I started out 50 years ago bridge fishing with my dad.  He gave me a Penn 65 and we dropped the bait and a 3 ounce sinker over the side of the bridge about 50 ft down to the water.  Learned how to thumb the spool quickly.  I recommend trying to find someplace you can drop a 1/2 ounce weight 15 or 20 feet with the spool tension set really loose just to get the feel of how the spool and the line react, and the difference the changes in spool tension and braking make on the reel.  It's the type of thing that once you learn, you will never forget.  It also helps to have some one there to give you a dope slap if you do something really stupid.

Also, pull out 50 feet of line and put masking tape around your spool, it will prevent your backlashes from working deep into the line. Be sure to take the tape off when you go fishing.

Be patient, once you figure it put it's easy.

Brocksdad1

Great advice Bigwrench and Njpaul.
Thanks for the time spent. 

Could I ask what Abu. Shimano. Lews are good ones.  I'm going to go eBay way since funds are tight. 

Also I'm guessing 7'8" or so for flipping/ pitching.
What name rods at a good price.
And I'm thinkin heavy with fast tip

Casting reel and rod info would be awesome.

Sorry to sound so needy.

I hope I can repay with knowledge in the future.

Bryce

Pferox

Techniques like flipping, pitching, roll casting, etc. are an extension of basic casting techniques. Learn those well first.

Take your time, learn to set up a reel, cast without back lashing reliably before trying to flip, it will save you a whole lot in the learning curve. Getting your thumb trained to work with the reel is the most important part of using a bait caster, and if you aren't able to do it when just tossing a lure straight out into the water, you'll just get more frustrated trying to flip it.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Brocksdad1

Quote from: Pferox on July 28, 2013, 11:08:45 PM
Techniques like flipping, pitching, roll casting, etc. are an extension of basic casting techniques. Learn those well first.

Take your time, learn to set up a reel, cast without back lashing reliably before trying to flip, it will save you a whole lot in the learning curve. Getting your thumb trained to work with the reel is the most important part of using a bait caster, and if you aren't able to do it when just tossing a lure straight out into the water, you'll just get more frustrated trying to flip it.

This is very true. I guess I never thought of things like that.  Jumping the gun I guess. 

Mike Bush

Revos, Lews Tournament, Curados....those are solid reels.

I would try to avoid any reel that can be bought off the Wal-Mart shelf. The black max is one of them. If you can only spend 50$ on a reel, it will be difficult to find a good reel in that price range. 100$ should be what's needed to get something that won't give you headaches and can be adjusted properly.

Brocksdad1

Quote from: Mike Bush on July 29, 2013, 12:38:59 PM
Revos, Lews Tournament, Curados....those are solid reels.

I would try to avoid any reel that can be bought off the Wal-Mart shelf. The black max is one of them. If you can only spend 50$ on a reel, it will be difficult to find a good reel in that price range. 100$ should be what's needed to get something that won't give you headaches and can be adjusted properly.

Thanks mike.

Bryce

Makaira76

Okuma is having a blow out on some of there stuff. Think you can find a Citrix for around $65 bucks.

Mike Bush

What is your price range for the reel?

Makaira76

Sorry Mike. I'm not a dealer and don't want to step on toes with Mike Cork and Mothernature and other paid vendors here. But if you PM me I'll let you know how much they are blowing them out for.

Pferox

IMO, H2O mettle is a good $50 reel.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Mike Bush

Quote from: Makaira76 on July 29, 2013, 05:04:36 PM
Sorry Mike. I'm not a dealer and don't want to step on toes with Mike Cork and Mothernature and other paid vendors here. But if you PM me I'll let you know how much they are blowing them out for.

Sorry....that was for the OP

Brocksdad1

I'm looking to spend 0-100.
But I'd like to surf eBay.

Just don't know what models of these brands are what I need.

Brycr

LgMouthGambler

The best advice I could give you would to be by a Pro Qualifier. With its mag and cent brakes, its a great reel for a beginner to learn on. You can adjust it to pretty much zero backlash, and play with the settings as you get more comfortable. Its going to be the best "all around" reel for your price range. And the good thing is that it will last you a long time due to their dependability.

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Bush

Pro Qualifier is a solid reel, and can be tuned pretty decent too.

I swear I saw the Lews Tourney Pro for around 160 at TW the other day....which should mean that reel can be found in the low 100s on eBay or used from a forum.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Mike Bush on July 30, 2013, 10:32:14 AM
Pro Qualifier is a solid reel, and can be tuned pretty decent too.

I swear I saw the Lews Tourney Pro for around 160 at TW the other day....which should mean that reel can be found in the low 100s on eBay or used from a forum.

I think it was the 5 speed model.

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Deadeye

If you have a local tackle shop that trades in reels and rods for other stuff you can sometimes find a great deal on a reel that someone else either didn't like or upgraded from. Or you can trade in stuff you no longer use or want and get better/different stuff for it. My first Lews I traded some Surf Fishing gear in and took the value on trade and picked up a New Lews Speed Spool Reel in 7;1 and a New Abu Vengeance rod for like $20 in difference out the door.

Since then I have traded in other stuff I no longer was using and gotten more things I want. It is worth it to check around.