Centrifugal brakes on Lews reels question...

Started by MissouriFishin, April 01, 2014, 10:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissouriFishin

So, my first baitcaster was an H20 Mettle, which I've gotten pretty good with. The brakes on it are 6 plastic tabs which you pull out to activate.
Now I have recently purchased a Lews Tournament Speed Spool. The centrifugal brakes on it are 4 little plastic things that look and are shaped differently than the ones I'm used to. I'm just a little confused. Do I still pull them outward to activate the brakes?

Also, how would you set both the centrifugal and magnetic brakes for someone who is new to this type of reel, and relatively new to baitcasters in general.

Thanks!

BassMan83

Yes. You slide them with your nail. They take a little pressure before they move.

If you are brand new to baitcasters I suggest engaging 3 centrifugal brake and turn mag all the way up.

Set your spool tension to allow the lure to fall fairly slow.

MissouriFishin

Quote from: BassMan83 on April 01, 2014, 11:08:57 PM
Yes. You slide them with your nail. They take a little pressure before they move.

If you are brand new to baitcasters I suggest engaging 3 centrifugal brake and turn mag all the way up.

Set your spool tension to allow the lure to fall fairly slow.

Thank you. But the thing is there are only FOUR of the plastic brake tabs on my Lews reel, as opposed to 6 on other reels I've seen. So, as a beginner, should I slide out 2 of the 4 plastic brake things?

BassMan83

Quote from: MissouriFishin on April 02, 2014, 12:10:42 AM
Thank you. But the thing is there are only FOUR of the plastic brake tabs on my Lews reel, as opposed to 6 on other reels I've seen. So, as a beginner, should I slide out 2 of the 4 plastic brake things?

It doesn't matter. Use as many brakes as you need. Over time you'll use less and less. 

MissouriFishin

Chip Harm

Bassman,

There are some great threads on here about setting up your reel from our own Pro Reel.  He goes into pretty good detail on the "how and why" of the set up.   
Chip

www.elitetungsten.com

MissouriFishin

Quote from: Chip Harm on April 02, 2014, 08:54:20 AM
Bassman,

There are some great threads on here about setting up your reel from our own Pro Reel.  He goes into pretty good detail on the "how and why" of the set up.

I'll do a search for them tonight. Thanks.

Mike Bush

I run 2 on and 2 off on the internal. That is just a good all around setup. I do mine on opposite sides of the spool as well. Keep the balance.

As far as the magnetic control goes, just depends on if you are casting or flipping. I wouldnt start with with it on 10, maybe 4/5 and adjust the spool tension for the drop of the bait. That way you have a little adjustment left on the brake if needed.

Nobody knows each ones personal preference when casting or flipping. It takes time to get comfortable no matter what you use, and some never use a very free spool.

I personally flip with everything free...no brakes no spool. But that has taken some time to get to that point.

Casting is different...half brakes and fairly free spool. But the conditions always dictate. Might have to bump the spool tension a click at times.

Dark3

LgMouthGambler

Set two brake tabs, and fine tune with the mag brakes. The centr brakes will activate in the beginning of the cast. The mag brakes will slow the spool towards the end of the cast.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

MissouriFishin

Pro Reel

Spool tension is the crutch that most people use way to much. Quite often, it's those who say they don't use brakes or use very little brakes who are compensating by using way to much tension. Brakes are not a crutch. Yes, you need to use your thumb, but brakes are there to be used. Fred Flintstone drug his feet, now we don't have to do that anymore. Set the tension snug enough to remove spool side play, then turn all your brakes on and work down turning off 1 brake at a time until you find the ideal amount of brakes needed for you to use zero spool tension. Your reel will thank you for it in less worn out parts and a smoother, easier cranking reel.

MissouriFishin

Thanks Pro Reel. So less spool tension = " less worn out parts and a smoother, easier cranking reel."
Good to know.

Dark3

Quote from: Pro Reel on April 03, 2014, 07:30:57 AM
Spool tension is the crutch that most people use way to much. Quite often, it's those who say they don't use brakes or use very little brakes who are compensating by using way to much tension. Brakes are not a crutch. Yes, you need to use your thumb, but brakes are there to be used. Fred Flintstone drug his feet, now we don't have to do that anymore. Set the tension snug enough to remove spool side play, then turn all your brakes on and work down turning off 1 brake at a time until you find the ideal amount of brakes needed for you to use zero spool tension. Your reel will thank you for it in less worn out parts and a smoother, easier cranking reel.

Just a joke man. Yes 2 brakes on spool tension enough to eliminate side to side play. Smarten your thumb by practicing. If you have trouble add a brake tab.