Scorpion vs curado 70

Started by Brownjason686, December 12, 2017, 04:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brownjason686

So it appears to me the jump scorpion is the cousin of the curado 70. Is this true? If it is are there any real difference between them. Color aside I mean. Are there innards compatible? I have a curado 70 I want to "make mine"

Brownjason686

I ment jdm scorpion by the way. Stupid auto correct

Capt. BassinLou

Scorpion is made in Japan, the Curado 70 is made in Malaysia.  I own the Scorpion 70, sweet little reel, you have to really dial it in or it will overrun on you in a second. As far as the Curado 70, I have never handled one. Although I bet its similar to the Scorpion in size and the way it palms. The bearings maybe a little better on the Japanese model however. Believe it or not, the Scorpion is cheaper than the Curado currently, but the international shipping rates push the price above the Curado 70.

Brownjason686

I believe it. I already have a curado 70xg. I'm wondering if I can use guts from a scorpion to make it "my reel". I like to customize things just so it's mine.

Mike Cork

The Scorpion has always been a smaller version of the Curado since it came out 20 years ago. I would imagine the 70 is a way to bring that reel to the US market versus only buying it in Japan.

I haven't messed with any new ones but years past most parts are interchangeable.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

Scorpions, Chronarch's and Curado's may mirror each other in few ways. However, as far as the insides being interchangeable from one model to another, I honestly can't say. That will have be a Mike Cork question. He services reels and his favorite brand is Shimano.

Mike Cork

Just to add to the Scorpion issue, Shimano USA doesn't stock parts for nor willing to get them for you. If you get the right tech on the phone they know what is interchangeable and not. I always recommend buying the US versions just in case you need parts in the future.

Cork's Reel Service

Brownjason686

Thanks Mike. Can't seem to find any after market parts for it. Tuning parts, what ever they truly are. I own 1 of every curado and they only 2 that don't have my touch are the 70 and 200b

Brownjason686

Probably a good thing actually I spend to much on Japan tackle and hedgehog studio

Mike Cork

If you called around I'm sure some of the retailers that sell the add ons will know which fits what. If you got a scorpion you'd surely want to tweak it out and put your touch on it.

The parts are out there, just hard to find. Surprised Hedgehog didn't have stuff for it.

Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

The scorpion 70 is one of the few reels that doesn't need to be tweeked out of the box. Imho. That little reel flings baits. I was advised to use all the brakes when I first purchased it and ignorantly I chose not to. Let's just say after the first cast, I opened her up and engaged all the brakes.  lo

Brownjason686

I agree 100pct. I love my curado as is and ordered a scorpion just because cabin fever has consumed me. For me I want mine to be different. Not looking for performance necessarily although nice when that happens. It could be infantry changed handle, maybe just the drag star or just about anything.

Brownjason686

Question for Mr. Cork. Do you know we're I can get the brakes for the curado 200b?

Mike Cork

Quote from: Brownjason686 on December 12, 2017, 06:13:27 PM
Question for Mr. Cork. Do you know we're I can get the brakes for the curado 200b?

Nobody has them, the reel i s too old. I don't know what reel they are actually for but I am crazy and don't throw anything away. SO I do have a set of brakes, red and green, that will work for it. The bag even has the wrench in it.

Lou I actually have three of these if you wanted an unopened one for your collection :-*

Cork's Reel Service

Brownjason686

That's great pm me how much you want. 

Brownjason686

My apologies this is a curado 100b. Don't know why I also thought it was a 200 ~b~

Mike Cork

If you have some breaks left send me a pic

Cork's Reel Service

Brownjason686

Mike Cork

Yep we can fix that. Shoot me a PM with your mailing address

Cork's Reel Service