What to oil reels with

Started by BassMaster1985, June 15, 2011, 04:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassMaster1985

What kinda oil do you guys use? i have an old penn that needs oiled and was wondering if any around the house oil will do like 2 stroke or tranny fluid?

Dan1962

SAE 30 motor oil or Power Steering Fluid oil  will work Great in those reels Tranny fluid  is little to thin  For those type reels it will work But want last long

BassMaster1985

Should i take the handle out and pour the oil in then put the handle back? ive never really oiled reels before so im new

Dan1962

Quote from: BassMaster1985 on June 15, 2011, 05:11:48 PM
Should i take the handle out and pour the oil in then put the handle back? ive never really oiled reels before so im new

Oil the Spool Bearings or bushing the Main gears inside the reel  need grease

Habit

I heard quantum hot sauce reel grease and oil is by far the best.

BassMaster1985

Quote from: Dan1962 on June 15, 2011, 05:15:58 PM

Oil the Spool Bearings or bushing the Main gears inside the reel  need grease

Like axle grease?

Mike Cork

I use rocket fuel yellow label oil and Super Lube grease. I use the oil on all bearings and grease on all gears. In no way would I recommend motor oil for a reel, that's just me though.

Quantum Hot sauce oil and lube are good products I just don't like the dye in them, it's a personal preference and nothing more.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

Quote from: BassMaster1985 on June 15, 2011, 04:58:25 PM
What kinda oil do you guys use? i have an old penn that needs oiled and was wondering if any around the house oil will do like 2 stroke or tranny fluid?

Sewing machine oil, a three in one oil or something along those lines is a great bearing oil if you don't have a tackle store available.  Just taking the handle off and pouring the oil in is not going to get the oil where it needs to be. First you will have to take the handle off and then the side plate. From there you may be able to see most of the bearings depending on the model of the reel.

Do you know the model number?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

BassMaster1985

Quote from: Mike Cork on June 15, 2011, 06:10:23 PM
Sewing machine oil, a three in one oil or something along those lines is a great bearing oil if you don't have a tackle store available.  Just taking the handle off and pouring the oil in is not going to get the oil where it needs to be. First you will have to take the handle off and then the side plate. From there you may be able to see most of the bearings depending on the model of the reel.

Do you know the model number?

Its a penn 450ss its a saltwater reel

Dan1962

Rocket Fuel  , HOT sauce are great for Low Profile Baitcasters BUT not the best choice for  Big Saltwater reels  SAE 30 or Power steering Fluid will work  in those reels & it easier to find  3in1 & most sewing machine oil is SAE20

Dan1962

Quote from: BassMaster1985 on June 15, 2011, 05:31:41 PM
Like axle grease?

you can you a Marine Grade Axle grease  OR Penn does make a great OIL & Grease for those reels

stock28

A bad day fishing is still better than a good day working!

B.A.S.S. lifetime member

pmccleave

I find it best to just give my reels to Kevin at Pro Reel Service and let him work his magic.  He's fast, does outstanding work and best of all his prices are very fair.  I have had him do four reels for me this spring and they all work like new or better and all but one are really old reels.

See Ya,

Pat

Canesfan

Axle grease in a fishing reel?  Never heard of that.  :o

Dan1962

Quote from: Canesfan on June 17, 2011, 01:07:54 PM
Axle grease in a fishing reel?  Never heard of that.  :o

Lot of People use a Multi-Purpose  Grease in there BIG Saltwater reels  Mobil , Kendall , Lucas make a Blue or Red  Light Grease 
The Lucas Red "N" Tacky  is very popular with the saltwater guys  What do you think was used  Before all those High Dollar Reel Greases $8 for 1oz came on the market