is my reel broken or is it the line on it?

Started by Chanceb23, March 04, 2012, 03:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chanceb23

I have a Quantum Q-Vex spinning reel. I have had it for about 7 or 8 months now. I usually string it with fluorocarbon line but I decided to string braid on it now. I put 20lbs Suffix 832 line in it and now the drag seems broken. It won't tighten no matter how tight I spin my drag. The drag slips when I jig, set the hook, or twitch. Is the drag broken or is it because of the line I am using on it?
Denali Rods and Gunn Baits Pro Staff
www.denalirods.com PM me for Gunn Baits (local)
Bass in Pictures are smaller than they appear.

BOATS

Did you put mono on the reel first, if you did not then it's the braid slipping around the reel.
2012 XPRESS H18 /  YAMAHA 115
Retired U.S Navy Chief

Chanceb23

Denali Rods and Gunn Baits Pro Staff
www.denalirods.com PM me for Gunn Baits (local)
Bass in Pictures are smaller than they appear.

Dan1962

Braid line will slip on the spool you can use masking tape put about 3-4 raps around the spool first then load your braid 

BOATS

If you decide to go the mono route just spool a few yards then tie the braid off to the end and spool the rest with braid
2012 XPRESS H18 /  YAMAHA 115
Retired U.S Navy Chief

OutdoorFrontiers

All you have to do is tie one end of the line to something solid.  Then open the bail and back up until you've run all the line off the spool.  Then take a 1/2 inch square of electrical tape and tape over the knot to the spool.  Then close the bail, tighten up the drag and crank the line back on the spool keeping a good bend in the rod.

Now your line won't slip on the spool and the line will also be packed down tight on the spool greatly reducing line cut-in...

THEN, later on in the year, after you've reduced the length of the line due to cutting off and retying, simply use a Uni-Uni knot and fill the rest of the spool with mono.  Then tie that mono to a different reel and crank on the mono, then the braid and you'll have brand spankin' new braid on a different reel.

Steve

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

yak-aholic

Check out this video. Jose Wejebe "The Spanish Fly" explains how he does it...
Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught.