What? No fish stories?

Started by JonBoatMike, May 11, 2010, 07:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonBoatMike

No posts in a month!  Must be some perty darn good honey holes on Cachuma you don't want to tell us about.  What gives?

Stan

I have been out.  The fishing has been Ok at best nothing really to rant about.  10-12lbs each trip over the last 3 weeks or so.  I haven't posted on here 'cause I've been pretty busy with softball and turns out my oldest daughter made the All-Star team so softball will continue until mid August.  I can tell you that the Carp fishing is on Fire right now :).
Stan

Mike Cork

It's been many years since I lived there.... How are the base ponds doing? Punch Bowl used to be awesome in the spring!!!

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

JonBoatMike

Stan - Congrats to your daughter! Thats good stuff...  I've been helping coach a little league team in the village and haven't had much time to fish myself.  Also, I lost the #1 piston on the boat a few weeks ago and have been patiently waiting for it to get fixed.  We need to put together a friendly tourney when I get it back.

Mike - Punch Bowl pretty much dried up last year and most, if not all, of the fish died off.  We've had a ton of rain this year and it's still no deeper than 4 ft at it deepest, I'm not sure if it will ever recover.  They closed off the water treatment facility that drained into it and I don't believe they plan on opening it back up anytime soon, if ever.  I can't believe the base and environmental are letting it go.  Even the road around the pond has grown over and it's nearly impossible to drive a truck down to it.  What a waste!

Mike Cork

Man I hate to hear that about one of my all time favorite ponds. Bass to 8 pounds, catfish to 15 ( on topwater  :shocking: ) and some of the biggest bluegill I've ever caught. Maybe mother nature will take over and bring it back?

Thanks for the update

Cork's Reel Service

calincalif50

ya Mike its an absolute disgrace the base letting punch Bowl it die off the way they did.  I was so  ~xyz  ~rant, but my  ~rant fell on deaf ears.  There are no plans to restock even if the lake refills by MNature.  Seems if the people with pull don't fish, the base lakes are overlooked.  The stench from the deth was overpowering, right now the water is the color of mocha last I saw, which was about  2 weeks ago.  Pitty the environmentalists didn't get involved with this one.  What a waste, build a good fishing pond then let it and all the wildlife die along with it.  STUPID STUPID STUPID WASTE

On a good note, someone or the base have been cleaning the Pine Canyon lakes out very nicely.  People can actually fish the banks again.  No launch ramp any more, but plans are in the works for more docks further up the lake in #1 and across the lake in #2.  Haven't heard anything regarding lake #3 at the top.  Mostly small fish so far this year from the banks.

Mike Cork

Glad to hear they are working on Pine Canyon at least. Back when I was there all three were really good fisheries as well. I guess you could say the base lakes were in their prime then

Cork's Reel Service