brand new Daiwa Lexa 300 trouble

Started by bmb5482, July 23, 2013, 06:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmb5482

I bought a Daiwa Lexa 300 less than two weeks ago. Sometimes when I cast, the spool locks up mid cast! I think its cause momentum causes the handle to turn. I may be wrong, it might be something I'm doing wrong. Should I send it back? Any suggestions?

Pro Reel

Yes, send it back. Even if it is momentum causing it, it shouldn't do that. Any time that happens, it can cause serious damage to several parts in a reel as they all lock up with tremendous force.

This might be a fluke from one bad reel, or it might be a trait of the lexa. The Lexa is new and has not been around long enough for anyone to know if it's a good reel or not.

When asked about reels to buy, I try to get people to ask the right questions of not just others but of themselves. What do you need? Can you get an all purpous reel or do you need a few? What type of braking system is right for you? All of these questions can be answered with enough research and trial and error. The next questions should be obviously what can you afford? There are a lot of good reels in several price ranges. You have to watch out for the urge to buy the coolest looking or the newest rage on the block. I personally wouldn't buy any reel that hasn't been out for at least a year or two. When I buy something, I want other people to have fouind out if it's good or not before I buy it. You also have to be cautious about buying a reel thats packed with features. The more things it can do, the more things there are to go wrong. If you don't need a flip switch, don't buy a reel with one. Also, never ever worry about bearing counts or fancy names for materials, those are sales pitches. Reels from the same company can somewhat be compared against each other by bearing counts, but not reels from one brand to another. By that I mean that a shimano core will have more bearings than a shimano curado, but the curado will still be a better reel than some high bearing count reels from other brands.
Last piece of advice on finding a good reel is again, buy a time proven reel, not just by it's name as they come out with new versions all the time, but an actual model thats been tested for a year or two. If you have a whole locker full of reels, then by all means, buy the new stuff and try it out, let us know if it's good or not, but for someone thats getting thier first few reels, buy a time proven reel.

LgMouthGambler

Pro Reel is spot on about how to properly choose a reel. I am a big Shimano fan, and was gonna drop some $$ on the new Chronarch Ci4. The looks of this reel are amazing, as I have always wanted a Metanium, but the frame made me weary. Thanks to some good inside info I have since threw that idea out the window, and instead went with the other reel I have been looking at (Lews Super Duty). Daiwa makes some good reels, but I have found that those reels are in the $400 price range. Shimano has been known for quality and dependability, but lately that has been questionable. A good point Pro made was not to get hung up on bearing count and features, because they don't always make the reel better, but can cause issues later. Its more about placement and quality of the bearings, and a reel doesn't need more than 5 to be a smooth functioning reel. You really need to spend around $150-$200 to get something that is going to function and hold up to what most people would expect out of a baitcaster. I know the Lexa300 is $200, but that's a big reel and not your average Bass reel. I don't know what your intentions for that reel were, if you do some Musky fishing or what not. Shimano does still make the Curado300E, and I think that would be a better choice than the Lexa. Again, the Lexa is not a bad reel, but its not proven, and Daiwa is not known for their cheaper reels.

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

H8R

In the 300 level, I wouldnt really consider a low pro bait caster. For me thats round reel catagory. Shimano Corsair, Cardiff, Calcutta. Abu Ambas...etc.

BB

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 23, 2013, 08:08:40 AM
Pro Reel is spot on about how to properly choose a reel. I am a big Shimano fan, and was gonna drop some $$ on the new Chronarch Ci4. The looks of this reel are amazing, as I have always wanted a Metanium, but the frame made me weary. Thanks to some good inside info I have since threw that idea out the window, and instead went with the other reel I have been looking at (Lews Super Duty). Daiwa makes some good reels, but I have found that those reels are in the $400 price range. Shimano has been known for quality and dependability, but lately that has been questionable. A good point Pro made was not to get hung up on bearing count and features, because they don't always make the reel better, but can cause issues later. Its more about placement and quality of the bearings, and a reel doesn't need more than 5 to be a smooth functioning reel. You really need to spend around $150-$200 to get something that is going to function and hold up to what most people would expect out of a baitcaster. I know the Lexa300 is $200, but that's a big reel and not your average Bass reel. I don't know what your intentions for that reel were, if you do some Musky fishing or what not. Shimano does still make the Curado300E, and I think that would be a better choice than the Lexa. Again, the Lexa is not a bad reel, but its not proven, and Daiwa is not known for their cheaper reels.

~cf
what's wrong with the CI 4 ?I'm going to wait a while but all I hear  is positive things about it

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: BB on September 06, 2013, 08:40:51 AM
what's wrong with the CI 4 ?I'm going to wait a while but all I hear  is positive things about it

For me, its not a metal frame, which wont hold up to my abuse. Good for finesse fishing, but I wouldn't dare put some heavy braid on it and go pitching into heavy cover.

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Pferox

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 07, 2013, 05:53:59 AM
For me, its not a metal frame, which wont hold up to my abuse. Good for finesse fishing, but I wouldn't dare put some heavy braid on it and go pitching into heavy cover.

~cf

After reading this I had to go and look at my gear, and low and behold I don't have a BC or Conventional reel that doesn't have some type of metal frame.

A lot of my spinning reels do have some type of composite frame, and have held up to quite a few very large and strong fish, no 7 foot shark, but some drum over 30lbs.

I use a lot of braids, usually 20 to 40 lbs on 4000 reels so I am pretty sure I'm stressing them relatively hard, they haven't failed yet. So maybe a composite framed reel could hold up to heavy use ..... if it is designed right.

Of course I might be comparing apples to oranges, but just a thought........

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

BB

Just learned Shimano is coming with an all metal version coming in October,Glad I waited

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Pferox on September 07, 2013, 06:29:14 AM
After reading this I had to go and look at my gear, and low and behold I don't have a BC or Conventional reel that doesn't have some type of metal frame.

A lot of my spinning reels do have some type of composite frame, and have held up to quite a few very large and strong fish, no 7 foot shark, but some drum over 30lbs.

I use a lot of braids, usually 20 to 40 lbs on 4000 reels so I am pretty sure I'm stressing them relatively hard, they haven't failed yet. So maybe a composite framed reel could hold up to heavy use ..... if it is designed right.

Of course I might be comparing apples to oranges, but just a thought........

You also have to remember that spinning reels don't have the wide frame needed to house the spool and line and internals the way a baitcaster does. The only real flex you get from spinning reels would be in the shaft that connects the body to the reel seat, and that has nothing to do with keeping internals inline. I have no problem fishing spinning reels with composite frames, in fact I like them better that way, but not a winch type tool like a baitcaster.

~cf

BB

I always use the rod to work the fish that's why I'm a whole lot more picky about the rod than the reel.Basically the reel is there to retrieve line and the Rod takes the brunt of the abuse.I have not seen a big problem with reels like the Caenan for example on big redfish,sure they flex a little but they can take it.Those reels are very popular with saltwater guides here in SE La because of the non metal frame in the saltwater