Cleaning reels

Started by cojab, December 27, 2015, 11:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

Yeah. The drive gear is black, but its aluminum.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

The Rooster

Well, aside from the Shimano Symetre I once owned, which was only $100, every spinning reel I have had was under $60, but I still service them. I find that I prefer tearing these down over a baitcaster as well, though I think the actual number of parts is about the same. It does take longer for me to service a spinning reel because of the bail parts also needing done, not just the gearcase guts, but for some reason baitcasters make me nervous. I've done a few when I first began that came out not quite right and had to be opened up again and the parts reassembled in a different (correct) order the second time. Haven't had that issue in years but somehow I always expect it on baitcasters.

SFL BassHunter

I got adventurous with my PQ...it ended up in LMG's hands who was able to put it back together for me lol.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Hobbes

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on February 25, 2016, 08:12:48 PM
Yeah. The drive gear is black, but its aluminum.

Looking at it clean; I see it is aluminum. A lot of dirty grease in this reel. The black color fooled me.

Mike Cork

Quote from: Hobbes on February 26, 2016, 07:29:55 AM
Looking at it clean; I see it is aluminum. A lot of dirty grease in this reel. The black color fooled me.

Yep me too at first, it's the same gear they use in the chronarch 50 I believe. Very light weight.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 26, 2016, 08:19:35 AM
Yep me too at first, it's the same gear they use in the chronarch 50 I believe. Very light weight.

Not the E series, thats a brass gear.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

It's the 50 MG according to my schematics.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Canesfan

Quote from: rickdelprado on February 26, 2016, 06:07:26 AM
I got adventurous with my PQ...it ended up in LMG's hands who was able to put it back together for me lol.

I did that around a year ago with one of my Lews reels. Thought I had laid out the parts in the correct order, etc. and when I started to put it back, accidentally dropped it, parts went flying and ended sending it to Kevin of Pro Reel, a former sponsor so from then on I limit myself to basic oiling and greasing. You mechanical geniuses can do the hard stuff.  ~roflmao

roothog

An old bath towel ( preferably light in color ) spread on your work table helps keep parts from rolling off the table. I use RemOil in a spray can for bearings and cleaning parts, the little plastic '' straw '' is very handy. A toothbrush is also a must. An assortment of different size and headed QUALITY screwdrivers will also make life easier,also tooth picks. But the most important tool is a good set of READING GLASSES for us old poots  ::)    RH