6.8:1 Ratio??

Started by YakRat, January 28, 2017, 02:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YakRat

Hey guys,

I was just given a Lews Speed Spool in 6.8:1.  Seems like a pretty "in the middle" ratio to me.  Would you put this on a a medium composite type rod for trebles (cranks, jerks, plugs) or MH graphite more for jigs, bigger spinners etc.

I know there's always a lot of personal preference involved in a topic like this but I'd like to hear your opinions on a 6.8:1

Thanks!

Tavery5

What is the I.P.T.of the reel.

Mike Cork

It will be a good all around reel. I'd use it for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits.

It's very close to 7:1 and if the IPT (inches per turn) are high it could make a great pitching reel.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

I have several 6.8:1 Lew's and just like Mike said, it's a good all around ratio. I use them for just about everything.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

West6550

Quote from: Princeton_Man on January 28, 2017, 03:22:03 PM
I have several 6.8:1 Lew's and just like Mike said, it's a good all around ratio. I use them for just about everything.
Ditto.

Lipripper

Sounds like you got a good reel for a gift. ~c~ ~c~ Oh when you have time would you stop by and introduce yourself to everyone. Thanks
Let Us Get To Know You

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

LgMouthGambler

Lews! Puke!

JK, whats the inches per turn? Will give a better idea. Not all ratios are the same for every reel.

<")))<{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Pacific NW Ron

Nice pick up.  As has been mentioned by others I also like the 6 ratio's for an all around reel.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Princeton_Man

If it's the LFS, Tournament MB, or MG the inches per turn is 28. SLP is 27.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

cortman

6.8:1 or 28 IPT is pretty much the perfect all-around ratio IMO. I'd put it on the most versatile rod you can come up with, probably a Medium Fast action?

analfisherman

IPT?

When?
After you just re-spooled?
After you've switched bait a dozen times and cut line off or cut frayed line off a couple of dozen times.

After a long cast? The IPT changes all the way back to the caster.
After you pitch/flip it is probably the only time the Manufacturers claim of IPT is actually true/accurate. And that's only if you just re-spooled and then only if you re-spooled EXACTLY the point the manufacturer did.

Anyway....I think just like many have said....it's a GREAT all purpose reel.
And if you got it as a gift.....A FANTASTIC ALL PURPOSE REEL!!!!!  ;) :)
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

LgMouthGambler

IPT is measured at full spool. Which is the line filled to the bevel of the spool. After that, you are on your own. Lol

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Tavery5

Quote from: analfisherman on January 28, 2017, 10:59:42 PM
IPT?

When?
After you just re-spooled?
After you've switched bait a dozen times and cut line off or cut frayed line off a couple of dozen times.

After a long cast? The IPT changes all the way back to the caster.
After you pitch/flip it is probably the only time the Manufacturers claim of IPT is actually true/accurate. And that's only if you just re-spooled and then only if you re-spooled EXACTLY the point the manufacturer did.

Anyway....I think just like many have said....it's a GREAT all purpose reel.
And if you got it as a gift.....A FANTASTIC ALL PURPOSE REEL!!!!!  ;) :)

Your points are valid and well documented.     The reason many prefer to talk in terms of IPT rather than gear ratio is that all reels are affected the same by what you describe.   Gear ratio is only half the equation, with spool diameter being the other (as mentioned), so a 6.8:1 reel with a small spool and a 6.8:1 reel with a larger spool will fish very differently when cast the same distance. 

Gear ratio without spool diameter does not give us enough information to compare to other reels.
IPT allows us to compare reels in a more apples to apples method.

YakRat

Wow, thank you all for the quick reply.  It's 28 IPT.

As somebody pointed out, I am a new member and excited to participate in this community.  I'll take a look at the new member thread.  Thanks again.