Daiwa Tatula CT Type R 8.1:1?

Started by Bretts_daddy, May 17, 2017, 10:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bretts_daddy

I've been tossing around the idea of swapping the Tatula CT 7.3:1 RH I just got for my birthday for a CT Type R in a LH as I just seem to feel more comfortable using my dominant hand/arm for my rod and reel with my left hand. That being said, should i get the Type R in a 7.3:1 or a 8.1:1 gear ratio? I guess a more proper question would be what are the pros/cons to each of those gear ratios as far as what techniques you can use them for?
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!

LgMouthGambler

8.1 is great for flipping/pitching baits as you get the bait back faster to make the next pitch. However, you loose a bit of torque because of it if you are planning on using it for spinnerbaits, or crankbaits. The 7 speed is gonna be more of a multi use ratio.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

loomisguy

I own both , I use the 8:1 on my heavy jig rod. I don't flip much but it would be good for that also.
The 7.3 is pretty much a all purpose deal for Me. Spnnerbaits,buzzbaits, Plastics, pretty much everything but crankin, although I would throw a squarebill on it.

Bretts_daddy

What about for 3/8oz. - 1/2oz. jigs (plus trailers)?

loomisguy

The weight doesn't matter on either. I like the faster reel on baits I'm fishing deep to roll up slack when I set the hook.

Bretts_daddy

So if you wanted to slow roll a large (1oz.) spinnerbait say...would the 7.3:1 handle it or would the 8.1:1 be that much better?

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

rockchalk06

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on May 17, 2017, 12:22:30 PM
So if you wanted to slow roll a large (1oz.) spinnerbait say...would the 7.3:1 handle it or would the 8.1:1 be that much better?

Definitely a 7.3, I jump down to a 6 gear or 25-26 IPT reel for that though.

loomisguy

I never throw a 1oz. spinnerbait but like the other guys said if I did it would be on a the 7.3 or slower.

Bretts_daddy

Well, unless somebody else chimes in with a really thorough reason why they'd go with the 8.1:1 it looks like the 7.3:1 is the winner :).

zippyduck

No need for the 8:1 but saying that almost all my new reels are 8:1 or faster. But I never throw deep cranks and and like to give my baits a quick movement using the reel.
For that approach I would get the 7:1. Though in inches per turn its not that much of a difference.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

loomisguy

About 4 inches. Like going from 6.3 to 7.3. maybe a bit less.

Bretts_daddy

I think the IPT difference is 30.5" for 7.3 compared to 33.9" for the 8.1.

LgMouthGambler

Not much in IPT, but a big difference in the torque for the intended use.

<")))>{

Bretts_daddy

[quo ^-^ ~sunte author=LgMouthGambler link=topic=135975.msg1492632#msg1492632 date=1495065695]

<")))>{
[/quote]
Okay, that's something I wanted to find out. I spoke to a retailer about this and he said the gearing is the same for any gear ratio on the Tatula's and that the higher gear ratio is simply how fast the reel picks up the line so there wasn't a difference in torque. I want to make sure about that.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on May 17, 2017, 07:56:21 PM
[quo ^-^ ~sunte author=LgMouthGambler link=topic=135975.msg1492632#msg1492632 date=1495065695]

<")))>{

Okay, that's something I wanted to find out. I spoke to a retailer about this and he said the gearing is the same for any gear ratio on the Tatula's and that the higher gear ratio is simply how fast the reel picks up the line so there wasn't a difference in torque. I want to make sure about that.
Yeah, obviously has no common sense. Lol. Most people that work in stores or service centers don't know chit. Lol

<")))>{

Bretts_daddy

So the 8.1:1 won't have the torque of the 7.3:1? What is the difference in torque and where does it really effect you?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on May 17, 2017, 10:03:00 PM
So the 8.1:1 won't have the torque of the 7.3:1? What is the difference in torque and where does it really effect you?
When you have baits with more resistance.

<")))>{

FISH520

You could get away with a 8.1 with the right rod, but as stated i think 7.3 is the way to go. Less strain on your shoulder and gives you the ability to slow it down more when you want to.

podcast

If you're simply reeling for spinners which it sounds like since you mentioned slow rolling, I'd even go with a slower ratio like the 6.3. I use an 8 speed only for frogging or punching/flipping and even then when you get a good one on a frog in the thick crap you're wishing you had a lower gear ratio to torque them out of it. If this rod/reel setup is simply for spinner type baits then even the 7.3 is a bit much for that.

It seems to me you need to identify what this setup is specifically for prior to just buying a different reel. Questions like: do I have a cranking setup? Do I ever plan to use top water baits with this setup? Is this only for spinners baits? Do I already have another setup like this?

Basically, what is your goal with this rod/reel?

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: podcast on May 18, 2017, 07:07:27 AM
If you're simply reeling for spinners which it sounds like since you mentioned slow rolling, I'd even go with a slower ratio like the 6.3. I use an 8 speed only for frogging or punching/flipping and even then when you get a good one on a frog in the thick crap you're wishing you had a lower gear ratio to torque them out of it. If this rod/reel setup is simply for spinner type baits then even the 7.3 is a bit much for that.

It seems to me you need to identify what this setup is specifically for prior to just buying a different reel. Questions like: do I have a cranking setup? Do I ever plan to use top water baits with this setup? Is this only for spinners baits? Do I already have another setup like this?

Basically, what is your goal with this rod/reel?

I have my cranking setup, Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0 Winch 7ft. w/Lew's Tournament Pro 6.4:1. The other setups I am looking to pair with a reel are my all-around which will go on a Dobyns Fury 734C 7'3" Heavy and my frog/larger topwater setup which will be going on an iRod Fiber 7'5" Fred's Magic Stick Heavy. I'm looking at getting 2 reels, 1 will be a Shimano Curado I in the 7.2:1 ratio and the other will be a Tatula CT Type R in a to be determined gear ratio.

podcast

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on May 18, 2017, 08:07:00 AM
I have my cranking setup, Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0 Winch 7ft. w/Lew's Tournament Pro 6.4:1. The other setups I am looking to pair with a reel are my all-around which will go on a Dobyns Fury 734C 7'3" Heavy and my frog/larger topwater setup which will be going on an iRod Fiber 7'5" Fred's Magic Stick Heavy. I'm looking at getting 2 reels, 1 will be a Shimano Curado I in the 7.2:1 ratio and the other will be a Tatula CT Type R in a to be determined gear ratio.
For your frog setup go with the higher gear ratio as it will help with slack line while working the frog. With your "all around" setup the 7.3 would be a good fit just be aware of the ratio when using an all around setup since you will be using multiple baits.

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: podcast on May 18, 2017, 08:10:42 AM
For your frog setup go with the higher gear ratio as it will help with slack line while working the frog.
Will this work for larger top water lures like Whopper Plopper 130, MS Mini Slammer, Spro rat etyc.? I'm thinking I will be doing more top water with this setup than frogs (probably a 60/40 split).

podcast

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on May 18, 2017, 08:47:29 AM
Will this work for larger top water lures like Whopper Plopper 130, MS Mini Slammer, Spro rat etyc.? I'm thinking I will be doing more top water with this setup than frogs (probably a 60/40 split).
It mainly depends on how you plan to work these setups. I use a high speed reel for frogging cuz I walk it nearly all the time and I don't have to turn the handle a full turn every time I pop the rod tip. I would imagine the reel would work just fine for those baits, to me it more of how you work those baits and how often you need to pick up slack line. The other setup for example, that I use a high speed reel is my jerk bait setup. There's a bunch of slack line every time you jerk the rod and I don't wanna have a slow reel to pick up that line.

Bretts_daddy

People are saying to use the 8.1:1 for frogs but when you're fishing frogs they are generally going into the middle of lily pads are other nasty vegetation...to me that would be when you'd want more torque to pull those big bass outta' there so why would you want a reel with the lesser amount of torque like the 8.1 versus a reel with more torque like a 7.3?