Daiwa Type R vs CT

Started by Mike Cork, March 26, 2018, 05:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

I'm looking hard at a few Daiwa reels. Trying to learn a whole new system, I know the basics but the last couple years years I've not kept up.

So what are the technical differences in the Daiwa line ups?

I get the TW

But CT and Type R are confusing me with the google searches.

In a Tatula we have SVTW, CT Type R, 150 and a CT
LMG I know you've got some Intel here, give me the stats please...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

Mike,

I'll give you the basics.

There are two Tatula Type-R reels. One in regular and one in Ct. It has some upgrades to the basic model like bearings.

In the CTs we have the Fuego, Ct, Type-R, and the Tatula svtw.

Basic is the Fuego and ct.

Then the bearing upgrades in the Type-R.

The Tatula svtw is just what it says, it has an sv spool and T-wing system. It is the sv spool that makes it so much better.

The have come out with a CS model but I don't have info on it yet.

LMG wil have to handle the details.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Dink Dawg

Hey Mike.

They all have Magforce cast control. The standard Tatula 100 series is built on it's own platform.  It is a bit wide for some but is really no wider than an old Shimano Bantam 200B

The R's have better bearings and I think a different spool. I don't own an R  HD is a large spool and longer handle.

The Tatula TWSV and the CT models are built on a more compact platform and are narrower than the 100 Tatulas. Very comfortable and nice ergonomics.  The standard CT is the base model, the R (red accents ) has a Zaion drag star and better anti corrosive bearings as well as a spool that is a couple of grams lighter. I own both and a TWSV.  The TWSV obviously has an SV spool.

None have two bearing in handles or a bearing to support the worm gear but can be added easily enough.  The Magforce Z control system is very progressive and easy to dial in. 

That's the crux of it.  I'm sure LMG will be more elaborate.

LgMouthGambler

They are all CTs as thats the series, kinda like the E series of Shimano for example (ie Curado, Citica, Chronarch Es, they were all of the same frame, and basically same parts). Lets start at the bottom per say. Fuego CT, is the start with the CT frames. Its a CT with no T Wing. Then the Tatula CT, a CT reel with the T Wing. Then the Tatula CT Type R, a CT reel, just like the regular Tatula, but with a slightly lighter spool, different colors, and better spool bearings. Then there is the Tatula CT SV, a CT reel which has the T Wing, and a 103 SV spool in it. All have magforce braking system, just the SV adds a different rotor activation into the mix.

Take your pick, and if you are not worried about casting light baits with control, then you can weed out the SV. I personally have a Fuego CT, and prefer it due to the regular line guide system. Its the same as the others in just about every way. Kinda like the Citica E.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

Thank you everyone.  ~c~

I guess it was the CT that was throwing me most and know I understand it's a series (frame platform) it all falls into place on the daiwa website.

I have a Tat SVTW to play with, it feels good in hand and I've been told it's going to perform better than all my other reels  :surrender:

I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. Thanks again.

Cork's Reel Service

SFL BassHunter

A couple things LMG didn't touch on.

The Type R comes in 2 varieties. The CT and the regular Tatula form factors. The difference between them is just size. The regular Tatula and Type R is a much larger form factor and doesn't palm as well for people with smaller hands. I use it just fine with my big hands and sausage fingers. With that said, I still prefer the CT form factor it just fits better in the hand and is slightly lighter.

Personally I recommend going with the CT form factor.

Since you are a guy that can break down the reels and upgrade them and tweak them like LMG said it depends on the purpose of your reel.

For cast control the SV CT is amazing. It does cast well too, so don't think it's just for control. It also does well with light baits and heavy baits. It has a shallower spool so it does hold less line than the regular CT.

I don't own a Fuego CT but I do have a Tatula CT and LMG says they are the same thing except for the T-Wing. There is another difference though. The Fuego is slightly heavier. Not by much though.

If you want cast distance the CT Type R with a bearing upgrade is really amazing.
The CT with bearing upgrade doesn't fall far behind though. Personally I like the CT just because I don't care for the color scheme on the CT Type R.
If I am not mistaken LMG upgraded my bearings to ZPI bearings? I could be wrong on the brand.
I can unspool the CT with a frog or a spook if I'm not careful.

I can easily cast a 1/16oz bullet weight and a u-vibe with either reel a good distance.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Mike Cork on March 27, 2018, 09:28:01 AM
Thank you everyone.  ~c~

I guess it was the CT that was throwing me most and know I understand it's a series (frame platform) it all falls into place on the daiwa website.

I have a Tat SVTW to play with, it feels good in hand and I've been told it's going to perform better than all my other reels  :surrender:

I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. Thanks again.

Good luck with the Tat SV and enjoy it. Great reel.
Don't know if it will perform better than your tweaked Shimano's but I'm sure you'll put it through some rigorous testing for us! lol
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bud Kennedy

Mike the TAT SVTW works great for me and I attribute it to my unskilled thumb.  For you as an accomplished Angler I don't think it will fall into the category as a reel that is better than what you currently use.  It will be interesting to hear your follow up comments after you play with the SVTW for a while.

Mike Cork

Thanks everyone, I'm going to line it out this week and get some time on it. I will definitely post back some stats :-*

Cork's Reel Service

JDV

Quote from: Mike Cork on March 27, 2018, 10:17:50 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm going to line it out this week and get some time on it. I will definitely post back some stats :-*

Looking forward to seeing what you think!  I started out with the Tatula CT, Tatula CT Type R (of which I can't tell a noticeable difference between them with the upgraded bearing) and the SV TW and don't have any other experience with different brand baitcasters.  The SV TW definitely feels just a bit smoother and farther casting to me with the upgraded spool than the other 2, but all 3 have performed exceptionally well for me.  I have a couple Shimano spinning reels I love, but just haven't tried their baitcasters yet since being so pleased with the Daiwas.

cbburke

Quote from: Mike Cork on March 27, 2018, 10:17:50 AM

So what was the result of your "time" with it ?
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

Captsteve

I just bout the CT Type R and can cast a mile right out of the box. And as you all know
, not that experienced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Captsteve on April 04, 2018, 06:37:16 PM
I just bout the CT Type R and can cast a mile right out of the box. And as you all know
, not that experienced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Daiwas Magforce braking system is unmatched. Even if you are used to centrifugal brakes, once you get a hold of the capabilities of the braking system Daiwa has produced, its hard to turn back. Even with Shimanos VBS "set it and forget it" brakes, the capability to adjust on the fly with a couple clicks of the brake dial puts the Daiwa system on top. Also one of the main reasons I like Doyos Magtrax system.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

I can attest to that. My casting style had me wondering about the mag brakes because no other magnetic brake before worked for me. Centrifugal or Dual was the way for me to go. LMG kept telling me the Daiwa Magforce brakes were not the normal magnetic brake. Finally I gave in and tried it and boy was he right.

I find now that centrifugal brakes hinder my cast distance. Even when setting to lower setting. The Daiwa magforce z and air give you far more flexibility, at least in my opinion.
Florida Bass Fishing

basss

Careful Mike, they're like Dobyns Rods.  You can't have just one.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

78Staff

I jumped on the SV wagon pretty hard when TW put the SV103 and 105's on sale, but have found I really don't care for it for any chunk and wind baits or baits where i want better casting distance, so have replaced spools, or changed reels altogether... ie at this point I'm only really using SV103's for pitch/flip/punch setups, and  SV105's for my jerkbait rod and my dropshop rod.  Otherwise I'm back to TD-Z, OG Steez, J-Dreams, and OG Zillion Type R's (or upgraded spools in SV103's) for crankbaits, spinnerbaits, swim jigs, frogs, chatterbaits, soft plastics, etc and the like.

allaboutfun

Picked up an SV 6.3 last week. That puts me at 2 SV's and 1 CT. I think I have a problem...I also think the is a Tatula monkey that's following me around - ha.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: 78Staff on June 12, 2018, 09:32:29 PM
I jumped on the SV wagon pretty hard when TW put the SV103 and 105's on sale, but have found I really don't care for it for any chunk and wind baits or baits where i want better casting distance, so have replaced spools, or changed reels altogether... ie at this point I'm only really using SV103's for pitch/flip/punch setups, and  SV105's for my jerkbait rod and my dropshop rod.  Otherwise I'm back to TD-Z, OG Steez, J-Dreams, and OG Zillion Type R's (or upgraded spools in SV103's) for crankbaits, spinnerbaits, swim jigs, frogs, chatterbaits, soft plastics, etc and the like.
The SV spools are not designed for distance casting. They are shallower.
They make fantastic pitch/flip/punch reels though, and short distance accurate casting reels. Skipping is made simple with them too.

Quote from: allaboutfun on June 12, 2018, 10:02:27 PM
Picked up an SV 6.3 last week. That puts me at 2 SV's and 1 CT. I think I have a problem...I also think the is a Tatula monkey that's following me around - ha.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Tatula monkey got me good a while ago. My lineup is mostly Tatula's. They are just fantastic reels for the price.
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

I spooled my Tatula Type R with 20lb Big Game for big glide baits and big cranks.
Man it's absolutely amazing how this thing with some upgraded bearings makes these lures fly.

Almost unspooling the reel with a Rapala FAT DT. Got a blow up on it, but the fish didn't get hooked. :-/
The 168 SWaver was getting way out there as well.

I would never expect 20lb mono to fly like that as I have another reel with 20lb on it also, and I get about half the distance with these lures.
Florida Bass Fishing

zippyduck

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on June 14, 2018, 08:37:14 AM
I spooled my Tatula Type R with 20lb Big Game for big glide baits and big cranks.
Man it's absolutely amazing how this thing with some upgraded bearings makes these lures fly.

Mine has 20 lb mono Senshi on it also and flings spooks and plopppers a mile. And mine is stock.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: zippyduck on June 14, 2018, 05:18:33 PM
Mine has 20 lb mono Senshi on it also and flings spooks and plopppers a mile. And mine is stock.
The only thing is that 20lb Senshi is a 0.013 diameter line. Which is more or less the average diameter of your 12lb monos.

<")))>{

caddyjoe77

I'm an SV nut. I have 6 SV 103's, 2 SS SV103's, 1 SV 105, and 1 Zillion SV TW. 

I think they cast great IMO. 
BeerMe

SFL BassHunter

Yeah 20lb Big Game and 20lb Senshi are not equals in any department other than they are both mono. They sure don't have the same break strength, even though they both say 20lb.
Florida Bass Fishing